Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProto and Prog Related

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Should Proto and Prog Related be a reference only?-See message below
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
9 [30.00%]
21 [70.00%]
0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2007 at 15:26
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

I see as a contradiction to include a band in a mainly rating and reviewing Prog site and don't allow to rate them.

Leave it like this.

Iván

The problem is they are not Prog.    
cmidkiff
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2007 at 15:27
The delete them, there's no reason adding a non Prog band to a rating review Prog site and not allow rating and reviewing.

If they are here, there's a reason plus a relation with Prog and it's rating.

Iván

bluetailfly View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2007 at 15:34
I feel like Bill Murray in "Groundhog Day"...Smile
"The red polygon's only desire / is to get to the blue triangle."
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2007 at 15:37
Originally posted by bluetailfly bluetailfly wrote:

I feel like Bill Murray in "Groundhog Day"...Smile

That's our fate and in every site I visited, the topics keep repeating.

4 decades of P¨rog....this means that there are very few really new things to add.

Iván

Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2007 at 15:54
Smile

IMHO proto-prog/prog-releated bands and reviews will ever have the minority in the future -
because this is a Progressive Rock site - leave it as it is!

Smile

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2007 at 16:10
Originally posted by Uwe Zickel Uwe Zickel wrote:

Smile

IMHO proto-prog/prog-releated bands and reviews will ever have the minority in the future -
because this is a Progressive Rock site - leave it as it is!

Smile

I agree, but the problem is that the site is infected, and that infection may grow, has the possiblity of growing and overwhelming the host site. As long as that possbility exists, I am not comfortable and will not be comfortable. Infidel bands are here mingling their low style of living with the hallowed prog bands. I myself have come to the home page to be personally effronted by a picture of Jim Morrison, a most un-proggy infidel, and a rave review by one of his most depraved followers.

I think a jihad-like movement needs to return the site to the prog boundaries set forth by holy men E. Macan and P. Stump. We need a cleansing by fire...Stern Smile

[Note: the real emoticon I need here to convey irony doesn't exist; we need a better emoticon palate. I'm trying to cooperate with the emoticon thing, but they're not relevant to my purpose. Just an FYI to the admins.]
Proglodita View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2007 at 16:20
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

I see as a contradiction to include a band in a mainly rating and reviewing Prog site and don't allow to rate them.

Leave it like this.

Iván

Yes, it has to be possible to rate them, but the results should be keep apart, not in the spotlight maybe.
P
blaughida View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2007 at 16:26
Both categories should be reviewable.  I'm mainly here to explore progressive rock, yes, but I definitely appreciate having reviews of proto and prog-related bands. The idea as I see it is that many prog fans might be interested in these bands, too, and if I might be interested in an album I'd like to see what people think of it.

I do somewhat understand the objection to having bands thus classified in the top 100, but while I wouldn't particularly object to taking proto-prog and prog-related albums out of this, I don't think it is at all necessary.  The top 100 is phrased as "progarchives' most popular titles" and makes no claim to be the "best 100 progressive rock albums ever made" or anything of the sort.
cmidkiff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2007 at 17:03

IMHO proto-prog/prog-releated bands and reviews will ever have the minority in the future - because this is a Progressive Rock site - leave it as it is!

If they are just in the minority, how is that they are making it into the top 100 on a progressive music site?   
cmidkiff
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2007 at 17:10
Originally posted by cmidkiff cmidkiff wrote:

IMHO proto-prog/prog-releated bands and reviews will ever have the minority in the future - because this is a Progressive Rock site - leave it as it is!

If they are just in the minority, how is that they are making it into the top 100 on a progressive music site?   

Exactly, see my previous post re. "infection."
cmidkiff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2007 at 17:24
[QUOTE=blaughida] Both categories should be reviewable.  I'm mainly here to explore progressive rock, yes, but I definitely appreciate having reviews of proto and prog-related bands. The idea as I see it is that many prog fans might be interested in these bands, too, and if I might be interested in an album I'd like to see what people think of it.

*But what if prog fans are interested in classical music as well. Should those be listed too, in case we want to see reviews of them as well*

I do somewhat understand the objection to having bands thus classified in the top 100, but while I wouldn't particularly object to taking proto-prog and prog-related albums out of this, I don't think it is at all necessary.  The top 100 is phrased as "progarchives' most popular titles" and makes no claim to be the "best 100 progressive rock albums ever made" or anything of the sort.

*That is true, but isn't this suppossed to be a progressive web site? Isn't it peculiar to see "Abby Road" in the top 100? I think if I went to a Heavy Metal website and saw "Abby Road" in their top 100, I probably wouldn't take their site seriously.*
cmidkiff
eugene View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2007 at 17:29
^^^And on this site you can see both Abbey Road and Heavy Metal, and please, you should take it seriously.
On classical music point - I would not mind to see it here as well.
carefulwiththataxe
cmidkiff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2007 at 08:10
Originally posted by Ghost Rider Ghost Rider wrote:

Originally posted by cmidkiff cmidkiff wrote:

I can see maybe moving the poll, but why did you take away the ability to vote? I wanted to see what the opinion of the PA community was quantified in votes. After all its still a poll, maybe you should move it back.
As far as 'Prog Opposite' thats just sarcasm

Oops.. it wasn't me who took the ability away. Polls are not allowed in that section, so I'll just have to move it back to where it was.Edit: back to normal...

Unfortunately, I just realized you didn't move this poll back to where it was. Instead you actually moved it into "Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge" where of coarse those who come here will be more likely in favor of keeping them where they are. Pointless I must say.

Edited by cmidkiff - January 23 2007 at 15:58
cmidkiff
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2007 at 14:12
Confused The reason it is in this section, is because it is about proto prog and prog related.
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2007 at 14:19
Star ... infected and very clever ...  ??? Confused

cmidkiff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2007 at 15:18
Originally posted by Easy Livin Easy Livin wrote:

[IMG]height=17 alt=Confused src="http://www.progarchives.com/forum/smileys/smiley5.gif" width=17 align=absMiddle> The reason it is in this section, is because it is about proto prog and prog related.

Actually, its about the whole site, and only those interested in proto prog and prog related will see the poll and of coarse vote accordingly. Those who aren't interested in proto prog and prog related may not ever even come to this part of the forum.   
cmidkiff
progismylife View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2007 at 15:26
I think it is a good addition to the site, but I am tired of seeing massive reviews for proto and prog related bands when they are added. Besides that I think it is a great idea to find out what bands influenced prog or are not exactly mainstream rock. It should stay as it is. The bands that are in these categories have been argued over a lot to include their entry into the site so I think the site isn't getting diluted too much. 
cmidkiff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2007 at 16:05
Originally posted by progismylife progismylife wrote:

Besides that I think it is a great idea to find out what bands influenced prog or are not exactly mainstream rock.

I'm also intrested in these bands, but I didn't want to completely remove them. Just move them to a referance area.

I have nothing against these bands and actually have albums from most if not all of the Proto prog artists and a allot of the Prog related artists as well.   
cmidkiff
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2007 at 16:18
I think there is merit in the idea of completely seperating Proto/Prog-Related bands from the real Prog bands,however these "artificial" genres are here to act as a stepping stone from rock to Prog Rock.
Meaning: someone who likes the longer "epics" of Iron Maiden might just discover Dream Theater or other Prog-Metal bands by being drawn here. They see the "metal" part of the tag "prog-metal" and listen to some of the Mp3s.They like what they hear and little by little they get drawn into the world of Prog,join the forum and discover the broad spectrum of Prog Rock.

Ok,so this might only happen 1 in every 2000 hits but we get more than 50000 hits per day so maybe its worth it.

This might sound fanciful but its worth it if it works.

Edited by Tony R - January 23 2007 at 16:19
WaywardSon View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2007 at 16:29
I voted keep it the way it is. I like the idea of proto/related used as a big net to lure people to Progarchives.
In fact I would like to see a bigger net!! (I´m probably in the minority here)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>