Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMore on my paper (HELP!)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: More on my paper (HELP!)
    Posted: March 14 2004 at 08:20

Fellow proggers,

Most of you already know that I'm working on a paper for school (by reading the topic 'The development of Prog'). I have another question, and I started a new topic to get your attention  because I need your help really badly!  You helped a lot with my other question , so please don't let me down !

My problem is that I have to wright about the most important bands from the seventies, and I have a very big list of 35 (!) bands. I would like to narrow the list down to 20 bands, but I don't know which bands I should throw out!

PLEASE HELP ME! Which 15 bands would you throw away from the following list?:

Amon Düül II

Ange

Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso

Barclay James Harvest

Brand X

Camel

Can

Caravan

Colosseum II

Eloy

Emerson, Lake And Palmer

Focus

Genesis

Gentle Giant

Gong

Hawkwind

Jethro Tull

Kansas

King Crimson

Magma

Mahavishnu Orchestra

Manfred Mann’s Earth Band

Moody Blues, The

Oldfield, Mike

Parsons, Alan Project

Pink Floyd

Premiata Forneria Marconi (PFM)

Rush

Saga

Soft Machine

Supertramp

Styx

Strawbs

Van Der Graaf Generator

Yes

Thanks in advance,

Joren

Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2004 at 11:53

These are the ones I think you should retain, that is if you're discussing them individually. If this is in an essay form you should just mention a band where it is appropriate in your discussion. Since I really don't know what format you are using all I can do as an old fart from the seventies is to suggest to you which bands from your list, in my opinion, are the most important, as well as adding a couple here and there. Here goes, ( I'll try and be as objective as possible!):

Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Yes, Genesis, Amon Duul II, Focus, Pink Floyd, Gentle Giant, Omega (from Hungary. Maybe try and discuss Eastern Europe a bit if you have room), Caravan, Tangerine Dream, Jethro Tull, Guru Guru, Van der Graf Generator, Strawbs, King Crimson, Uriah Heep, Soft Machine, PFM, Supertramp and Saga or Rush ( although I've never considered Rush to be a prog band, many people consider them as such ) .

Well, there's my contribution good luck. I wish I could have had assignments like this when I was in school!

Edited by Vibrationbaby
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2004 at 11:58
Originally posted by Joren Joren wrote:

Fellow proggers,

Most of you already know that I'm working on a paper for school (by reading the topic 'The development of Prog'). I have another question, and I started a new topic to get your attention  because I need your help really badly!  You helped a lot with my other question , so please don't let me down !

My problem is that I have to wright (write) about the most important bands from the seventies, and I have a very big list of 35 (!) bands. I would like to narrow the list down to 20 bands, but I don't know which bands I should throw out!

PLEASE HELP ME! Which 15 bands would you throw away from the following list?:

Amon D? (Good for European/German paragraph)

Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso (Italy/Europe)

Can (German/experimental)

Emerson, Lake And Palmer (Intro & first section)

Focus (Europe/Holland)

Genesis (intro & first section)

Gentle Giant (first section)

Gong (consider cutting. Though English, could be in a paragraph with Can about very experimental bands)

Hawkwind (more Brits. Good, but not critical -- possibly cut)

Jethro Tull (intro & first/folk influences)

Kansas (America)

King Crimson (perhaps first true prog band, # 1 in intro, first section)

Moody Blues, The (intro & first)

Pink Floyd (intro & first)

Premiata Forneria Marconi (PFM) (Italy/Europe)

Rush (Canada/ heavy metal influences)

Soft Machine (Don't really know them)

Styx (America)

Strawbs (first section/folk influences)

Van Der Graaf Generator (Intro/first with Crimson, good example of "difficult" aspects of prog -- can be painful/grating listening, in parts)

Yes (intro & first)

Thanks in advance,

Joren

OK Joren, I've cut some bands from your list that I see as being less important to the development of the genre. Prog (as we know it) was largely an English invention. I'd only mention Styx and Kansas in a "Meanwhile, in America...." section.

Good luck! Hope this helps! I wrote five 2500-word essays (start to finish) in five days in my last year at university. Pressure pressure! (I did well on all -- it can be done!)

All the best,

Peter

Edited by Peter Rideout
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
Ulf Uggason View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2004 at 12:29

All very subjectively:

Brand X, Colloseum II, Kansas, Manfred Mann's Earth Band, Alan Parson Project, Saga, Supertramp, Styx, Ange, Barclay James Harvest, Mike Oldfield, Eloy, Gong, The Moody Blues, Mahavishnu Orchestra

Peace,

Ulf

Joren View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2004 at 12:41

THANKS!

To Peter: It's a large paper for school. You have to make it, or else you won't get your diploma. It's not an essay, almost all of it is objective. And I was allowed to choose a subject myself  I think I'll write about 24 pages (I don't know how many words that is). You should work 80 hours on it (including research etc.)

I'll mention all of the bands you suggested (except for Amon Duul and Guru Guru, I couldn't find a decent biography)

I think I'll also maintain Oldfield, Caravan and Camel (I think they were important) and Magma (because they created a sub-genre)

Edited by Joren
Tauhd Zaïa View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2004 at 12:49

I'll mention all of the bands you suggested (except for Amon Duul and Guru Guru, I couldn't find a decent biography)

Joren,

For your Krautrock section here are two links (but sorry it is in french)

Amon Duul : http://petit.sebastien.free.fr/ad.html

Amon Duul II : http://petit.sebastien.free.fr/ad2.html

Guru Guru : http://petit.sebastien.free.fr/guruguru.html

Good luck for your work

The State Of Grace Is Achieved
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2004 at 13:25
If you go to my old Guru Guru poll you'll find a mini- history of the band I wrote last month. Unfortunately they are not represented very well over the internet. Is this paper going to be in English or Dutch? Do we get to see the the finished product?
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2004 at 14:03

THANKS!

To Peter: It's a large paper for school. You have to make it, or else you won't get your diploma. It's not an essay, almost all of it is objective. And I was allowed to choose a subject myself  I think I'll write about 24 pages (I don't know how many words that is). (Roughly 10 words/line, thus 250-270 words per (double-spaced) page, thus 24 pages would be MASSIVE: approx. 5000-5500 words total. Peter)

He chortled in his joy.
Joren View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2004 at 15:03
Originally posted by Peter Rideout Peter Rideout wrote:

THANKS!

To Peter: It's a large paper for school. You have to make it, or else you won't get your diploma. It's not an essay, almost all of it is objective. And I was allowed to choose a subject myself  I think I'll write about 24 pages (I don't know how many words that is). (Roughly 10 words/line, thus 250-270 words per (double-spaced) page, thus 24 pages would be MASSIVE: approx. 5000-5500 words total. Peter)

Woa, that's alot! ehm... I mean: A LOT

Joren View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2004 at 15:04

Thanks Tauhd! As you know, my French is great (Je ne comprend pas!)

Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

If you go to my old Guru Guru poll you'll find a mini- history of the band I wrote last month. Unfortunately they are not represented very well over the internet. Is this paper going to be in English or Dutch? Do we get to see the the finished product?

It's in Dutch, but if you like to look at the pictures, you can see it when it's finished!

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2004 at 15:33
WOW! Pictures too!
ProgLucky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Progarchives.com Founder / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2004 at 16:24

Hi progfans & Peter

Well... my first post on the forum.

I think you should retain the next bands...

INTRODUCTION:
Psychedelic Progressive '65 to '67

Bands range from early PINK FLOYD* and HAWKWIND*. These days, "psych" commonly informs music space rock and space fusion.

*the pioneers of progressive rock

Progressive Rock '70

Sub-genres:

- Art Rock (roots in popular music): SUPERTRAMP, STYX and RUSH (progressive metal appeared as a mix of prog rock)

- Canterbury (more of a region in England): SOFT MACHINE

- Jazz-fusion: BRAND X

- Rock In Opposition: HENRY COW

- Krautrock: CAN

- Zheul (a sub-genre of progressive rock created by the French band MAGMA)

- Space Progressive Rock: ELOY (more accessible) or AMON DÜÜL - the English line-up (your choice)

- à la MIKE OLDFIELD

- Symphonic Progressive Rock:
This is the category where we find most of what we have come to know as progressive rock bands.
- à la GENTLE GIANT
- symphonic progressive rock (leaders & masters): YES & GENESIS (with Peter GABRIEL)
- French theatral/symphonic: ANGE
- Italian symphonic progressive: PFM or BANCO (your choice)
- classical progressive rock: ELP
- KING CRIMSON's style:VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR (Peter HAMMILL)
- folk progressive rock: JETHRO TULL

Good luck for your work...!
Bonne chance pour votre travail...!

All the best

ProgLucky@ProgArchives
Rony from Quebec (Canada)

N.B.: Sorry for my bad English writing. 

ProgLucky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Progarchives.com Founder / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2004 at 16:32

sh*t ..... AN ERROR!

Hi progfans & Joren      

That's my second post ...

maani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Founding Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2004 at 16:42

Joren:

IMHO, you could drop alot more than 15, since only 10-15 of the bands listed are actually "influential"; i.e., the rest were, to one degree or another, influenced by the others.  The bands I would keep as most influential (or "important" are:

ELP, Genesis, Gentle Giant, Jethro Tull, King Crimson, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Moody Blues, Pink Floyd, VDGG, Yes.  These ten are the most "seminal" of the list.  In the next "grouping," I would include Camel, Hawkwind, Soft Machine, maybe Amon Duul, Caravan, Gong, PFM, possibly Rush.  Adding these eight will give you 18.

To these I would add Museo Rosenbach, since they are one of the earliest Italian prog bands (contemporary with the "seminal" groups), and had influence not only on Italian and other European prog, but possibly on some of the seminal groups as well.

That's 19.  For the 20th, take the rest of the list and throw a dart at it and keep whichever one the dart hits.  Because IMHO none of the others was particularly "important" vis-a-vis being influential on either the others noted or on other bands not noted.

Peace.

Joren View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2004 at 17:34

Thanks, Maani, I think I'll kick out Kansas and Styx. I don't really know them, but they seem to be popbands to me!

I think I'll reconsider adding Mahavishnu Orchestra, (sorry, Peter ) for they were very special, rock or not!

Thanks to all of you!

maani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Founding Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2004 at 19:17

Joren:

You're welcome.  A couple of comments on a few of the bands:

Brand X.  As excellent as they are, they were not influential on others.  They came in pretty late in the game, and were actually influenced by others.

Focus.  Some have suggested that they are progenitors of prog.  Though I love the song, I have never considered "Hocus Pocus" prog.  And although some of their early stuff does "straddle" prog, this may have been a case of "stumbling upon" prog sensibilities, rather than have a conscious prog "approach."  In addition, it is doubtful they were very influential on anyone else.

Kansas.  Although many classify them as "prog," I do not.  Again, some of their stuff tread the fine line between rock and prog, but, again, nothing convinces me that they were consciously "prog," nor were they influential on anyone (that I am aware of).

Manfred Mann.  Like Procol Harum, maybe even Iron Butterfly and Cream, MM may have had some "prog sensibilities," but they were not, overall, a "prog" band, nor, again, did they have great (if any) influence on others.

Alan Parsons.  Much of his stuff may be classified as "prog" in its approach, but, like Brand X, he comes in somewhat late in the game.  And he is largely prog because he engineered and/or produced prog bands before he went solo, and thus had a "grounding" in prog.  But, again, I doubt he influenced anyone.

Styx.  If there were a "pop-prog" category on the site, I would include them (along with 10CC, XTC, and a few others, including Supertramp).  That said, Styx was primarly a pop band, with occasional prog sensibilities.  And, again, they were not "influential" but "influenced."

Peace.

Joren View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2004 at 21:29
Originally posted by maani maani wrote:

Joren:

You're welcome.  A couple of comments on a few of the bands:

Brand X.  As excellent as they are, they were not influential on others.  They came in pretty late in the game, and were actually influenced by others.

Focus.  Some have suggested that they are progenitors of prog.  Though I love the song, I have never considered "Hocus Pocus" prog.  And although some of their early stuff does "straddle" prog, this may have been a case of "stumbling upon" prog sensibilities, rather than have a conscious prog "approach."  In addition, it is doubtful they were very influential on anyone else.

Kansas.  Although many classify them as "prog," I do not.  Again, some of their stuff tread the fine line between rock and prog, but, again, nothing convinces me that they were consciously "prog," nor were they influential on anyone (that I am aware of).

Manfred Mann.  Like Procol Harum, maybe even Iron Butterfly and Cream, MM may have had some "prog sensibilities," but they were not, overall, a "prog" band, nor, again, did they have great (if any) influence on others.

Alan Parsons.  Much of his stuff may be classified as "prog" in its approach, but, like Brand X, he comes in somewhat late in the game.  And he is largely prog because he engineered and/or produced prog bands before he went solo, and thus had a "grounding" in prog.  But, again, I doubt he influenced anyone.

Styx.  If there were a "pop-prog" category on the site, I would include them (along with 10CC, XTC, and a few others, including Supertramp).  That said, Styx was primarly a pop band, with occasional prog sensibilities.  And, again, they were not "influential" but "influenced."

Peace.

Well, I'm almost finished and, without having read your review, I left out Brand X, Kansas, Manfred Mann, Alan Parsons and Styx, so we agreed on that, I suppose  (although I didn't throw out Focus, but hey! They're Dutch! )

and it's 3.30 PM here at the moment! DAMNED PAPER!

Joren View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2004 at 00:51

... worked the whole damn night!

Time to go to school!

Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2004 at 01:21

Time to go to school!

Straight to bed (with some fine prog turned down low) when you get home today, little Joren! Wink

Still, I'll bet it was a great feeling to hand the paper in on time!  Thumbs Up (I remember that particular "high" very well!) Wink

(I myself am feeling good here at 1:15 AM because I've just submitted two new reviews -- my first in too long a while! As George Costanza on "Seinfeld" would say: "I'm BACK baby!")

Again, congratulations on a job (almost certainly) well done! Clap I'm glad to have helped in some small way.Smile

He chortled in his joy.
Joren View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2004 at 02:39
Originally posted by Peter Rideout Peter Rideout wrote:

Time to go to school!

Straight to bed (with some fine prog turned down low) when you get home today, little Joren! Wink

Still, I'll bet it was a great feeling to hand the paper in on time!  Thumbs Up (I remember that particular "high" very well!) Wink

(I myself am feeling good here at 1:15 AM because I've just submitted two new reviews -- my first in too long a while! As George Costanza on "Seinfeld" would say: "I'm BACK baby!")

Again, congratulations on a job (almost certainly) well done! Clap I'm glad to have helped in some small way.Smile

I'm afraid I'll have disappoint you, Peter. I finished my paper in time, but then my printer crashed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm in school now, and I don't have the damn paper! Sounds like a lame excuse: printer broken.

I like the sound of "straight to bed, little Joren"!

THANKS to everybody! I really appreciated that! If you want a copy of the paper, I can mail it to you (it's in dutch)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>