FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCoheed and Cambria

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coheed and Cambria
    Posted: January 31 2005 at 15:43

NOTE: this is not a call to have them added to the site.  I just wanted to see some opinions from other proggers about the band.

C&C are fairly ppopular in the area that I live in (about an hours drive from Pittsburgh).  I was at one time not a fan, becasue most of their fans were the typical "Emo" kids.  However, my friend who plays guitar really likes them, and after a few listens to a few listens to their second CD, I became a fan.

The band itself is a quartet based out of Jersey, and Fetaure Claudio Sanchez on vocals and guitar, Josh Eppard on drums, Michael Todd on bass, and Travis Stever on guitar.  the band has released two CD's, the 1st is "Second Stage Turbine Blade", and the 2nd is "In Keeping Of Silent Earth: 3.  they are currently writing material for their third album. The Cd's themsleves help to tell a singular story that , for some reason, is being told with the second chapter on the first album, and the third on the second album (confusing, I know).

The closest representation for the music C&C makes is if you look at The Mars Volta.  However, the music has more of a metal lean towards it, with a splash of Rush, helped by the high-piched (and we're talking like Fly By Night high) vocals, and some odd time signatures (for example, the song "The Camper Velorium 3: Al The Killer, fetaures a 6/4, followed by a 3/4 bar, then a straight 4/4 for the chorus).  The other place they draw inspiration from is "hardcore" punk, which involves screaming.  However, from what I can tell, the band has begun to left their hardcore roots and are moving towards a more progressive "sound".

anyway, I think that this band (and other bands like them) is a great example of what there should be in the music world:  people willing to take the boundaries of music and push them forward.  Any Thoughts?  (ps:  sorry for the long post).

AngelRat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2005 at 16:28

*short post*

I recently got their 'Silent Earth' cd, and I must admit getting a bit addicted to it. So YES, I think I like 'em!

Man Overboard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2005 at 20:13

I love 'em.  A lot.

"I'll touch it if you ask me to, but how is up to you..."

Soulman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2005 at 19:48
Oh yea I downloaded a couple of their songs from their homepage. They sound alright, they're kind of cheesy at times, I'd think . But overall it's good to see my generation moving towards the progressive sound.  My friends and I have been trying to make a prog-style band, building up our skills and stuff. Made there'll be a new music scene!

Frankly I like Mars Volta more than I do C&C.

Anyone heard of a band called Aloha, though? They're pretty good.
bobthesalesman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2005 at 21:03

The Mars Volta > Coheed and Cambria

Actually i cant stand Coheed and Cambria.

On another note...im about an hour drive north of pittsburgh.  Where are you from Alan?

alan_pfeifer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2005 at 21:54
Originally posted by bobthesalesman bobthesalesman wrote:

The Mars Volta > Coheed and Cambria

Actually i cant stand Coheed and Cambria.

On another note...im about an hour drive north of pittsburgh.  Where are you from Alan?

Well of course TMV is better thatn C&C, but I luv em' both equally.  Music is opinion, I guess. Anyway, I live in Evans City.

threefates View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2005 at 22:01
I saw them a few years ago on the Warp Tour.. I hope they can atleast play their instruments a little better now than they did then.  But I have to say, atleast they did play better than most the other bands there... It took my ears a couple of weeks to get back to normal....
THIS IS ELP
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2005 at 22:03

Originally posted by threefates threefates wrote:

I saw them a few years ago on the Warp Tour.. I hope they can atleast play their instruments a little better now than they did then.  But I have to say, atleast they did play better than most the other bands there... It took my ears a couple of weeks to get back to normal....

Yeah, they can play their instruments.  The big factor with the band is if you can take a full rcord of Claudio's voice.  but i think that they have improved between their two records, and I personaly can't wait to hear the new record! 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2005 at 22:04

And when did you hear them?

dropForge View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2005 at 00:51

Quote I saw them a few years ago on the Warp Tour.. I hope they can atleast play their instruments a little better now than they did then.

This from the person who said she liked the guitar player in Letter Kills?!

Take a listen to the album In Keeping Secrets Of Silent Earth: 3

Post Reply Post Reply