Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
50 [54.35%]
42 [45.65%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2007 at 02:14
I've seen them both and I don't get it.  It's Palmer by a mile.
Visitor13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2007 at 04:30
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Yawn. Another drum poll where none of my canditates gets the vote. Moerlen would have drummed circles around them, wrapped them up in aluminium foil, put them on the ends of his drumsticks and thus have given them a close experience what drumming is really about.

You mean he'd have played some Jack DeJohnette to them?
DallasBryan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2007 at 06:12
Originally posted by dwill123 dwill123 wrote:

I've seen them both and I don't get it.  It's Palmer by a mile.

fantasy is interesting, ditto seen them both and I dont get it. Carl Palmer BLOWS AWAY lttle Neily live. Saw Palmer on BSS tour and Peart on Farewell to Kings. ELP was only 10 times as astonishing.
Jeremy Bender View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2007 at 09:04
Carl Palmer because he was a pioneer of progdrumming, and one of the first drummers who used gongs, timps, bells and electronic percussion all in one.

Peart specialized progdrumming, but without Palmer no Peart.
Peart is more steady and maybe he has a better technique but is too clinical for my ears and not so diverse as Palmer.

In short Peart is maybe a better 'drummer' (certainly a better teamplayer, and better songplayer) but was never so creative as Palmer.
Oh, and Palmer is certainly a better soloist imo.
So CP all the way.....

For people who doubt CP:

But who inspired who?:

MattiR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2007 at 09:42
Originally posted by Jeremy Bender Jeremy Bender wrote:

Carl Palmer because he was a pioneer of progdrumming, and one of the first drummers who used gongs, timps, bells and electronic percussion all in one.

Peart is more steady and maybe he has a better technique but is too clinical for my ears and not so diverse as Palmer.

In short Peart is maybe a better 'drummer' (certainly a better teamplayer, and better songplayer) but was never so creative as Palmer.
So CP all the way.....

For people who doubt CP:

But who inspired who?:

That's right! California Jam 1974 is a good example Smile
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2007 at 11:54
Originally posted by MattiR MattiR wrote:

So CP all the way.....

For people who doubt CP:

But who inspired who?:

Sorry Jeremy, you must be on a bender. Without Gene Krupa, no Neil Peart. Check out Peart's Anatomy of a Drum Solo. He mentions Krupa, Baker, Mitch Mitchell, but no Palmer. And as far as judging a drummer's talent as somehow measured by the more percussion instruments used, the better the drummer, well ... give me Joe Morello (Dave Brubeck Quartet among others) with the usual basic kit of his day over Palmer any day. Or if that's your main criteria - check out John Weathers playing Glockenspiel.
Peart does enjoy godhead status among the rock drummer elite, & deservedly so; but even he doesn't claim to be the best ever. And finally, just to ensure this is not taken as an attack on Palmer, I think most of the drummers such as Peart, Palmer et al, would say they still stand in awe of the "old time" jazz drummers.
Jeremy Bender View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2007 at 13:09
Originally posted by pantacruelgruel pantacruelgruel wrote:

So CP all the way.....

For people who doubt CP:

But who inspired who?:

Sorry Jeremy, you must be on a bender. Without Gene Krupa, no Neil Peart. Check out Peart's Anatomy of a Drum Solo. He mentions Krupa, Baker, Mitch Mitchell, but no Palmer. And as far as judging a drummer's talent as somehow measured by the more percussion instruments used, the better the drummer, well ... give me Joe Morello (Dave Brubeck Quartet among others) with the usual basic kit of his day over Palmer any day. Or if that's your main criteria - check out John Weathers playing Glockenspiel.
Peart does enjoy godhead status among the rock drummer elite, & deservedly so; but even he doesn't claim to be the best ever. And finally, just to ensure this is not taken as an attack on Palmer, I think most of the drummers such as Peart, Palmer et al, would say they still stand in awe of the "old time" jazz drummers.

What I mean with without Palmer no Peart is that Palmer made the way clear for progdrumming in a powertrio (as Rush). I'm sure Peart was influenced by him. I don't judge drummers becuase of the size of their drumkit (i myself like more the basic kits of bruford and bonham) I say that Palmer set a standard for progdrumming including megakits with all the various percussion instruments and because of that he influenced Peart (who on his part influenced Portnoy, also a 'super' progdrummer with a megakit).

Edited by Jeremy Bender - February 04 2007 at 15:06
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2007 at 14:16
See you and raise with this little Peart Improv:

Chris H View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2007 at 14:23
Originally posted by Tony R Tony R wrote:

See you and raise with this little Peart Improv:

Well, uhh, I heard Peart steals lollipops from little girls!Evil%20Smile

Wink
Beauty will save the world.
Bj-1 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2007 at 14:24
Palmer.

ELP owns Rush, btw. (Wink@ Tony)
RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!
Liquid Len View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2007 at 14:35
Carl Palmer by a country mile.
Can you tell me where my country lies?
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2007 at 15:12

So CP all the way.....

For people who doubt CP:

But who inspired who?:

What I mean with without Palmer no Peart is that Palmer made the way clear for progdrumming in a powertrio (as Rush). I'm sure Peart was influenced by him. I don't judge drummers becuase of the size of their drumkit (i myself like more the basic kits of bruford and bonham) I say that Palmer set a standard of progdrumming including megakits with all the various percussion instruments and because of that he influenced Peart (who on his part influenced Portnoy also a 'super' progdrummer with a megakit).

For progdrumming, I would probably suggest Ginger Baker. Jazz training, plus the original power trio, plus self-indulgence (before the dam broke, and musicians totally forgot about the audience). Blues, Pop, some blues & jazz, & some would hint hint at psych & prog - ex. White Room, not extravagant or complex melody-wise, but lyrical content showed a progression beyond the standard of the day. I do agree with you, though, on the number of pieces in a kit. Some drummers, as the two you mention, are better drummers than some "mega-kit" kiddies of today. They've looked at Peart & Palmer & fallen in the trap of thinking that's where P & P's talents reside. In case there some huge Triumph fans out there, let me say that this is ust an opinion & not one that I would kill for, so here goes - Gil Levine had a big kit for a hard rock drummer, but any review of Triumph's rhythm section described them as "leaden", bar band competent, & from my listening overdrummed.
DallasBryan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2007 at 16:56
[

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Is there a video avaiable of the California Jam? I was there and was looking for it, but cant find a source. do you know where you can get a video of this great event?

BTW, I dont hate Rush, I just dont think they are that great. in the day, they were a second tier or backup band to the big boys.

Edited by DallasBryan - February 04 2007 at 16:57
rushaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2007 at 17:10
Originally posted by DallasBryan DallasBryan wrote:

BTW, I dont hate Rush, I just dont think they are that great. in the day, they were a second tier or backup band to the big boys.

2nd tier?  In their day they were not backing up anyone.

You may not hate them but you usually don't miss a chance to slam them either.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2007 at 17:57

So CP all the way.....

For people who doubt CP:

But who inspired who?:

Palmer did stand in awe of Buddy Rich although Rich had a certain amount of respect for Carl's abilities as well. 
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2007 at 18:29
Originally posted by DallasBryan DallasBryan wrote:

Well they were/are certainly MUCH bigger than most bands you could mention,and certainly had a longer shelf-life. That remark is just plain silly.
"In the day" their albums hit the Top 5 in the main album chart both in the US and in the UK. Popularity doesnt always equate with quality, but for a "cult" band from Canada with a vocalist that is very much an aquired taste, I would say that is pretty phenomenal, wouldnt you? From Allmusic:

although typically brushed aside by critics and although rare recipients of mainstream pop radio airplay, the group nonetheless won an impressive and devoted fan following while their virtuoso performance skills solidified their standing as musicians' musicians.

In fact in reality they have been far more successful both artistically and financially over a far longer period than any band outside of Pink Floyd.

Pop Albums 148
1975 Listen%20Now! Fly By Night Pop Albums 113
1976 Listen%20Now! 2112 Pop Albums 61
1976 Listen%20Now! All The World's A Stage Pop Albums 40
1977 Listen%20Now! A Farewell To Kings Pop Albums 33
1978   Archives   Pop Albums 121
1978 Listen%20Now! Hemispheres Pop Albums 47
1980 Listen%20Now! Permanent Waves Pop Albums 4
1981 Listen%20Now! Exit...Stage Left Pop Albums 10
1981 Listen%20Now! Moving Pictures Pop Albums 3
1982 Listen%20Now! Signals Pop Albums 10
1984 Listen%20Now! Grace Under Pressure The Billboard 200 10
1984 Listen%20Now! Signals The Billboard 200 182
1985 Listen%20Now! Power Windows The Billboard 200 10
1985 Listen%20Now! Power Windows The Billboard 200 11
1987 Listen%20Now! Hold Your Fire The Billboard 200 13
1989 Listen%20Now! Presto The Billboard 200 16
1989 Listen%20Now! A Show of Hands The Billboard 200 21
1990 Listen%20Now! Chronicles The Billboard 200 51
1991 Listen%20Now! Roll the Bones The Billboard 200 3
1993 Listen%20Now! Counterparts The Billboard 200 2
1996 Listen%20Now! Test for Echo The Billboard 200 5
1998 Listen%20Now! Different Stages: Live The Billboard 200 35
1998 Listen%20Now! Different Stages: Live Top Canadian Albums 12
1998 Listen%20Now! The Spirit Of Radio (Live) Mainstream Rock Tracks 27
2002 Listen%20Now! Vapor Trails The Billboard 200 6
2002 Listen%20Now! Vapor Trails Top Canadian Albums 3
2002 Listen%20Now! Vapor Trails Top Internet Albums 29
2003 Listen%20Now! Rush in Rio The Billboard 200 33
2003 Listen%20Now! Rush in Rio Top Internet Albums 33
2003 Listen%20Now! The Spirit of Radio: Greatest Hits 1974-1987 The Billboard 200 62
2004 Listen%20Now! Feedback (EP) The Billboard 200 19

If you think that is "2nd Tier" then you are totally deluded, my friend...Wink

Edited by Tony R - February 04 2007 at 18:35
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2007 at 18:31
Sic him Tony, Sic him !

Edited by Equality 7-2521 - February 04 2007 at 18:33
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2007 at 18:59
Well, in the circles I moved in Rush were regarded as a hard rock band and definitely not as a prog band. So maybe they were big, but among proggers they were rated as 2nd class, at least here in Germany. And don't tell me it wasn't so, Tony; I experienced it first hand. Maybe they did sell big, but NOT as a prog act.

Edited by BaldFriede - February 04 2007 at 18:59

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
rushaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2007 at 20:00
Originally posted by Tony R Tony R wrote:

If you think that is "2nd Tier" then you are totally deluded, my friend...Wink

Ah, if they had french or german names, he may have liked them a little.
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2007 at 14:30
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Well, in the circles I moved in Rush were regarded as a hard rock band and definitely not as a prog band. So maybe they were big, but among proggers they were rated as 2nd class, at least here in Germany. And don't tell me it wasn't so, Tony; I experienced it first hand. Maybe they did sell big, but NOT as a prog act.
It wasnt so....I live in the home of Prog and in the home of Prog they were considered a Prog Rock band - I too experienced it first hand. Remember that there was only 3 years between their heavy rock album Fly By Night and A Farewell To Kings - maybe in Germany you were a little slow in catching up..Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>