Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed"Some of you are going to die..."

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: Which version of the Knife do YOU like?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
34 [56.67%]
24 [40.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [3.33%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2007 at 06:15
Originally posted by erik neuteboom erik neuteboom wrote:

Did Hackett urge the others to buy Genesis a Mellotron, Salmacis? Now I will love Hackett even more than I did Heart Hug!! And I forgive you about your Trespass opinion Wink ...!

Well, they had used one before of course on 'Stagnation' and 'Visions Of Angels', but I imagine that belonged to the studio or was borrowed. I believe it was Hackett that instigated the band's increased usage of one, and they actually bought the Mark II model from King Crimson!

Edited by salmacis - February 16 2007 at 06:15
erik neuteboom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2007 at 06:29

Salmacis, we can ask Pierreolivier about that, he is the #1 Mellotron connaisseur on Prog Archives Thumbs%20Up

courtron.jpg%20%2817461%20bytes%29

Clap

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2007 at 06:55
Originally posted by salmacis salmacis wrote:

Originally posted by erik neuteboom erik neuteboom wrote:

Did Hackett urge the others to buy Genesis a Mellotron, Salmacis? Now I will love Hackett even more than I did Heart Hug!! And I forgive you about your Trespass opinion Wink ...!

Well, they had used one before of course on 'Stagnation' and 'Visions Of Angels', but I imagine that belonged to the studio or was borrowed. I believe it was Hackett that instigated the band's increased usage of one, and they actually bought the Mark II model from King Crimson!

and it didn't work too well either!! It used to overheat and some of those tapes were a bit sticky
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2007 at 07:10
In the early Seventies Genesis even used the engine of a dust cleaner when their Mellotron went broke on stage just before the show LOL !
trauma0 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2007 at 08:20
the original version of trespass
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2007 at 09:10
I am really surprised the rather half-baked and energy-lacking studio version seems to be winning at the moment (though the margin by which the studio version leads is by no means decisive yet). Hackett's solo is harmonically far more interesting than that of Philips and much more fitting for the song. the few acoustical gimmicks of the studio version are interesting, but not enough to make me vote for it. the live version of "The Knife" is the closest Genesis ever came to metal, by the way.
I would have expected the live version to be a clear winner. my vote definitely goes to it. too bad there are not more votes with explanations though

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2007 at 09:18
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

I am really surprised the rather half-baked and energy-lacking studio version seems to be winning at the moment (though the margin by which the studio version leads is by no means decisive yet). Hackett's solo is harmonically far more interesting than that of Philips and much more fitting for the song. the few acoustical gimmicks of the studio version are interesting, but not enough to make me vote for it. the live version of "The Knife" is the closest Genesis ever came to metal, by the way.
I would have expected the live version to be a clear winner. my vote definitely goes to it. too bad there are not more votes with explanations though

I am also suprised by the vote. I thought everyone would think the live version far superior. For me its no contest......LIve hands down. Its more exciting, more edgy, better guitar...better evrything really. It bowls along rather than the studio version "walk in the park".

Edited by Snow Dog - February 16 2007 at 09:19
Firepuck View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2007 at 09:33
I agree with erik, Hackett was (IMO) the man. I had always thought that he was the one that promoted extensive use of the Mellotron. If you listen to his solo work sounds more like the classic Genesis than any others. And look what happened to Genesis after he left.
Good show hey erik! Did you see the SEBTP version, it is my favourite show the Musical Box does.
Kryten : "'Pub'? Ah yes, A meeting place where humans attempt to achieve advanced states of mental incompetence by the repeated consumption of fermented vegetable drinks."
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2007 at 09:35
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

I am also suprised by the vote. I thought everyone would think the live version far superior. For me its no contest......LIve hands down. Its more exciting, more edgy, better guitar...better evrything really. It bowls along rather than the studio version "walk in the park".

just x-ed that day in my calendar. SnowDog and I are of the same opinion!!!!Wink

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2007 at 09:36
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

just x-ed that day in my calendar. SnowDog and I are of the same opinion!!!!Wink

Bj-1 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2007 at 09:37
Can't really decide on this one. Tie.

Edited by Bj-1 - February 16 2007 at 09:37
RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2007 at 09:39
I went for the 'walk in the park' version....Wink
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2007 at 09:44
Well, Firepuck, I have seen The Musical Box: the SEBTP tour is also my favorite, it blends the best of the magical Nursery Cryme and Foxtrot era with the best of the SEBTP album and ... Hackett shines with his unique style: volume-pedal, bending the strings, hammering down, lots of emotion because of his blues-background and a harder-edged side that is so compelling during the solo on The Knife live. To me the difference sounds as nice prog-folk on the studio version and dynamic symphonic prog on the live version Clap

sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2007 at 15:20
Close call, but I'll go with the live version, its just so full of energy and really well performed.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Freak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2007 at 21:55
I hate to resort to this, but the version on Live... It just kicks ass. It is raw, powerful, and Steve really lights the place on fire. It's the most energy in a Genesis song that I've heard (except maybe the performance of "The Musical Box" right before it!). Live was my introduction to the band, so maybe I'm biased...

And as for Led Zepp being the best live band ever? I don't think so. It's a tie between The Who & the Grateful Dead.
Scapler View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2007 at 22:23
Going with the good 'ol original
Bassists are deadly
The Whistler View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2007 at 02:32
But I don't hear Close to the Edge...
"There seem to be quite a large percentage of young American boys out there tonight. A long way from home, eh? Well so are we... Gotta stick together." -I. Anderson
MadcapLaughs84 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2007 at 02:40
None of them
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2007 at 07:28
somewhat surprised...  not that I waste much time talking about Genesis.. but it seemed many I talked to loved the live version better.. oh well

for me

the studio version
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2007 at 01:38
Live version for me too although the studio version has such a subtle sound to it that I like that too.  Depends on my mood.  Tresspass was Genesis first foray into prog and these guys were like 19 when they did it.  Some of the material while of course not as strong as later compositions were striking in the melodies and harmonies they used.  John Mayhew was too understated as a drummer of course for the drama the music effected but stil a lot to be admired on that album. 

As for seeing them live the performance Genesis gave you can never be done justice on a album.  They were something to see and hear and your emotions would rush along with the songs as they ebbed and flowed. I could care less if Tony improvised his solos or not if you ever saw One For the Vine performed live you really were just stunned afterwards.   I am really tempted to buy a ticket for the latest tours just to see if there is still some of that magic left.

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>