Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Music and Musicians Exchange
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCan someone recommend me a vintage Guitar????

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can someone recommend me a vintage Guitar????
    Posted: February 19 2007 at 15:09
I have a 64' Gibson, but it is really falling apart, but the sound it gives off is AMAZING! when it isnt out of tune, it really makes me feel like im playing some real deal vintage rock, i can get some great sounds from it.

Can anyone recommend a guitar, vintage, that would sound like Hackett, or steve howe, you know...classic guitars?

Is it the AMP or the Guitar im looking for?  I really unfirmliar with all of this, but if anyone can jus tell me what I need to play the giant hogweed solo 100% authentic, i will be happy...as in, what guitar did he use, or guitars.

THANKS!!!!!!
Cygnus X-2 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2007 at 15:11
The sound a guitar makes is predominantly from the person that plays it and the fingers on the frets, not so much the hardware of the guitar itself.

However, saying that, there are major differences between the hardware you can use. I know Gibson has a Howe signature guitar, for Hackett, he has custom guitars, so you may be able to find his specs on his website.
The Lost Chord View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2007 at 15:20

he even had customs back in the day? Thats crazy!

Thanks though, i will check their wbesites and stuff...im not looking to spend THAT much money, but i want a vintage sound, i dont like the newer sounding stuff, i like the grainy old stuff :)
Flyingsod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2007 at 22:19
Originally posted by Cygnus X-2 Cygnus X-2 wrote:

The sound a guitar makes is predominantly from the person that plays it and the fingers on the frets, not so much the hardware of the guitar itself.

I get what your saying and agree to a certain extent.  On the other hand I think the guitar itself definatly has a certain sound that is independant of the player.  Id change your quote to "the MUSIC a guitar makes....."

The most important aspect of guitar sound is the construction of the body. Type and shape of wood and how the neck is attached. However I think the sound your after probably has more to do with electronics. Pickups, effects and amplification. Its hard to recomend anything whithout knowing what specific sound your tunning in on. Howe uses a lot of guitars. Not sure about Hacket as Ive never been a huge fan. Can ya give a few more specific examples?

This space intentionally left blank

Cygnus X-2 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2007 at 22:28
Originally posted by The Lost Chord The Lost Chord wrote:

he even had customs back in the day? Thats crazy!

No. Back in the day Hackett used a Gibson Les Paul no doubt, nowadays he has customs.
randyhiatt View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2007 at 16:56
stick with the basics, a Strat (my choice) and Les Paul.  find a tube amp or some new gizmo preamp which uses tubes as these now emulate most amp/cabinet types.
Randy
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2007 at 17:01
If you're looking for a bargain, and I don't mean price wise, but true value & quality, keep an eye out for late 70s, early 80s japanese guitars. One make in particular - Vantage - made high quality guitars. One thing you need to ensure, though - that they are made in Japan (they were later manufactured in Korea & China) . The VP795 & VP820 are versatile & great sounding instruments. Usually built with tap coils switches so you could access either a humbucking pickup or split them for a single coil sound. The best part - as they're not "name" guitars like Fender or Gibson, you will pay much less. And frankly speaking from personal experience - you get just as good a guitar. Try it out  & good luck !
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
pumbar View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2007 at 10:54
I can pretty much recreate Hackett's sound using an Epiphone Les Paul '56 gold top, big muff pedal, volume pedal, phase 90 pedal, slide and e-bow (for the firth of forth solo). They all go through the tube amp model on a digitech pedal. For the hogweed solo you'll only need the fuzz pedal on. So if you are on a budget get yourself an Epiphone Les Paul. They are on ebay quite cheap and are amazing guitars. A little big muff sets you back about fifty quid in the UK.
pumbar View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2007 at 10:57
Oh, and Hackett now uses Fernandes guitars.

http://www.fernandesguitars.com/

Big%20smile
pumbar View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2007 at 23:03
Forgot to add that Hackett bends and vibratoes like a madman, so you'll need to practice this. Once you get the idea even your clean sounds played on a cheap strat copy will sound "Hackettesque". Try looking at "shred" videos and slowing it down to get what Hackett was doing with sweep picking too, especially in "dancing with the moonlit knight" it's got tapping and sweep picking well before its time. This'll give you that authentic Hackett sound much more than amps and guitars. I'll bet that you could pick him out on any guitar he plays.
assh View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2007 at 01:47
a marshall is all u need,  maybe a cheaper one MG100, sounds like u can piay anything u want on it, i use  marshall apm for almost 2 years nd i dont think i'll change other amp in the future. try it, nd u 'll find the reason.
international bitch master, thats the all thing i known about IBM.
 Post Reply Post Reply