Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow bad is inflation in your country?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: How bad is inflation in your country?
    Posted: February 25 2007 at 19:56

Just curious… we have members from a few dozen countries here, at least four continents.

I’m not asking if you have it or not… how bad is it?

In the US, we are told it’s under control. The official number is between 2%-3% annually. When you go shopping or traveling, it’s another story. In the past 6-7 years we have lodging gone up over 100%, gasoline more than doubled, and food is up at least 35%-40% on average.  

P.S. here's the poll link

Edited by IVNORD - February 25 2007 at 20:13
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2007 at 20:04
I would agree... I used to come here only once a year, and I didn't see any changes... but now that I live here, and under the magnificentWink presidency of W. , I've seen a lot of prices go higher...

But MY country inflation used to be a disaster when we had our own currency (SUCRE)... we had to lose it and adopt the US dollar and now inflation is on the low 5's, just one-figure inflation... we used to have more than 30% annualCry... we had to get rid of our own currency... that's what happens when your governments are CRAP.
IVNORD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2007 at 20:15
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

I would agree... I used to come here only once a year, and I didn't see any changes... but now that I live here, and under the magnificentWink presidency of W. , I've seen a lot of prices go higher...

But MY country inflation used to be a disaster when we had our own currency (SUCRE)... we had to lose it and adopt the US dollar and now inflation is on the low 5's, just one-figure inflation... we used to have more than 30% annualCry... we had to get rid of our own currency... that's what happens when your governments are CRAP.

Sucre? Is it Bolivia?
markosherrera View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2007 at 21:43
In Venezuela our Central Bank say that is 14% ,but is not true because they take the variation of thousands of products and services ,but if you take the products that all the days the people use or need like food,cleaners,wax,deodorants etc the variation could be 35%  or more.
Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2007 at 21:55
It's interesting... we all complain that the figures for inflation are low while many products and commodities seem always to increase.

Well, maybe for the poorest things could be a bit better. We have here the 'primary basket', an assortment of stuff considered minimum to feed a 4-people family for a month (here in Brazil, salaries are paid monthly). In 1994, the primary basket was equal to the minimum monthly wage and now the same basket is around 30% of the minimum wage. Consequently, the poorest have a better condition now and that's one of the reasons why 20 million people left the poverty line here and so the extreme poor people decreased from 19% to 6% of the population.

The so-called middle-class pay the highest price, since taxes and services have grown and even so public health and education show no evidence of getting better - corruption in politics, inefficiency, old legislation, etc, being the vampires here. Fuel prices also are not giving in 'cause they are measured mainly by international prices.

Anyway, inflation is nowadays a less concerning matter if we compare it with other issues that we consider more important, like income distribution, enviroment protection, urban security, agrarian reform, etc.

Guigo

~~~~~~
andu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2007 at 06:20
Inflation is decreasing year by year (a decade ago it was around 50-60 %, now it's bellow 5 %, I think), economic growth is over 8%; IT, lands & building, trade, outsourcing etc. are big business, so the future seems bright... for my children's children.
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2007 at 09:18
Originally posted by IVNORD IVNORD wrote:

Just curious… we have members from a few dozen countries here, at least four continents.

I’m not asking if you have it or not… how bad is it?

In the US, we are told it’s under control. The official number is between 2%-3% annually. When you go shopping or traveling, it’s another story. In the past 6-7 years we have lodging gone up over 100%, gasoline more than doubled, and food is up at least 35%-40% on average.  

P.S. here's the poll link

Those are just natural fluctuations of the market. With the continuing shift to a service economy those goods and becoming more and more demanded so naturally the prices are rising dramatically, but remember inflation is taken in aggregate and you can't really make assumptions on it based on a few goods. The US's inflation is well under control; there are much more pressing economic problems for the US.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
IVNORD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2007 at 09:24
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

The US's inflation is well under control; Really? with gasoline at 90 cents in 1999 and close to $3 just recently?   there are much more pressing economic problems for the US. would you name a few?
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2007 at 14:54

Sucre? Is it Bolivia?

No, Ecuador. The Mariscal Antonio Jose de Sucre was a key figure in the independence of many southamerican nations, mine (which was part of La Gran Colombia) included.... that's why we had our currency named after him... sadly, the currency went down the drain, so it wasn't the highest of honors for the LiberatorLOL
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2007 at 14:58

The US's inflation is well under control; Really? with gasoline at 90 cents in 1999 and close to $3 just recently?  Yes, but that's not only because of pure economic market inflation, but because the money-hungry b*****ds sons of bitches who own the Oil companies want to have more $ after they retire (like the former CEO of Exxon-Mobil who retired with more than a hundred million dollars...) Also because they push their political agenda (the same as W, our "bright" president) and becuase there's a war in the middle east that drives the cost of the oil barrel towards the sky... everything fits, war, oil prices go up, W's friends get richer, the war goes on... do the math.... there are much more pressing economic problems for the US. would you name a few? Economic problems? The trade deficit with China, the external debt... But inflation is a problem, too, though nowhere near the level of third-world countries...Cry
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2007 at 16:23
^ Took the words right out of my mouth? The burden we inherit by the outragious federal debt will be what the good part of our adult lives are spent figuring out.. The scary thing is the debt we are accumulating now is one unlike we've had in our history, as it is owed to foreigners and not to our own citizens.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
IVNORD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2007 at 09:18

Sucre? Is it Bolivia?

No, Ecuador. The Mariscal Antonio Jose de Sucre was a key figure in the independence of many southamerican nations, mine (which was part of La Gran Colombia) included.... that's why we had our currency named after him... sadly, the currency went down the drain, so it wasn't the highest of honors for the LiberatorLOL
I’ve never heard of Sucre. I guess the second Bolivian capitol is named after him. As per currency honors, the Venezuelan Bolivar’s fate has been quite similar.  

IVNORD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2007 at 09:41

The US's inflation is well under control; Really? with gasoline at 90 cents in 1999 and close to $3 just recently?  Yes, but that's not only because of pure economic market inflation, but because the money-hungry b*****ds sons of bitches who own the Oil companies want to have more $ after they retire (like the former CEO of Exxon-Mobil who retired with more than a hundred million dollars...) Also because they push their political agenda (the same as W, our "bright" president) and becuase there's a war in the middle east that drives the cost of the oil barrel towards the sky... everything fits, war, oil prices go up, W's friends get richer, the war goes on... do the math.... 

That’s a naïve statement. A hundred million dollars is a drop in the bucket comparing to trillions of dollars oil markets are worth. The present rise in oil prices does not depend on actions of any company(s) let alone any individual(s). The commodity markets have risen due to the de facto devaluation of the dollar (inflation)

there are much more pressing economic problems for the US. would you name a few? Economic problems? The trade deficit with China,

The trade deficit is not that bad. You get real goods in exchange for paper – can’t beat it. 20 years ago trade deficit would run at a clip of $15-16B a month, and that would shake financial markets. Today it shows $60-64B and nobody seems to care. BTW, although the amount of goods we buy and sell has increased within the past 20 years, it has not been 4 times larger but the deficit is. Wonder why?

the external debt...

Why the external debt is worse than internal? Once I calculated what a payout on $100 worth of a 30-year bond with a 6% interest would be at maturity considering inflation (not the official 2% inflation, mind you). It came to about $28 – everything, the principal plus the interest for 30 years. Although my computations were rough, I think that a more scientific approach would produce similar results as the buying power of the dollar is at least 4 times lower than it was 30 years ago.

But inflation is a problem, too, though nowhere near the level of third-world countries...Cry

IVNORD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2007 at 09:49

^ Took the words right out of my mouth? The burden we inherit by the outragious federal debt will be what the good part of our adult lives are spent figuring out.. The scary thing is the debt we are accumulating now is one unlike we've had in our history, as it is owed to foreigners and not to our own citizens.

Again, why is it better to rip off your own population? Sell your debt to foreigners and devalue your currency, then repay it at a fraction of the original value.  It was a laughable attempt to manipulate the interest rates when they discontinued the 30-year bond a few years ago. There’s no better business proposition than issuing the 30-year paper. Sure enough it was reinstated recently.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2007 at 12:28
It's not that simple. Devauling our currency would be terrible for home economies, and given we export significantly less than we import it would hurt us on the internation scene. Not to mention, that leaving the US economy in the hands of foreign investors hoping that they ask for repayment on their loans, is not a good proposition.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2007 at 19:48

Whoa, over my head. I really don't know exactly...

All I know for sure is, everything is damn expensive and is always getting worse
IVNORD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2007 at 23:24

It's not that simple. Devauling our currency would be terrible for home economies, and given we export significantly less than we import it would hurt us on the internation scene. Not to mention, that leaving the US economy in the hands of foreign investors hoping that they ask for repayment on their loans, is not a good proposition.

The devaluing of the currencies is going on for years (you don’t confuse it with the officially announced devaluations circa the mid-60’s, do you?). Ever since since the gold standard has been abandoned, the need to announce it disappeared. Otherwise it would be quite embarrassing to announce it every day. It’s just called differently – currency depreciation, floating exchange rate, controlled inflation, etc. Doesn’t hurt us on the international scene a bit since the dollar is still much more stable than the currencies of the developing countries, and the currencies of the industrialized countries are depreciating at the same pace if not faster.

As per the US economy in the hands of foreigners, it’s not as scary as it seems. First of all, the central banks support each other by buying each other’s debt, currency interventions and such, so no real threat of a sudden demand for payment. With regard to tangible assets, only non-strategic assets are allowed to be owned by non-US interests. Entire strategic industries are subsidized by the government – just how would the steel companies or American farmers survive if not for the subsidies. As an additional benefit, foreign ownership creates that bond between countries that renders a military conflict between them impractical – try to imagine an attack on Pearl Harbor today. And finally, as long as the assets are located on your territory, you could always repossess them in case of national emergency.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2007 at 00:08
I understand that devaluation occurs regularly, however a deliberate and extreme devaluation of our dollar could only hurt the economy. Surely you can't make a case that says it would do anything but that.

You lost me in the second paragraph there. I'm no economics expert (yet Smile) so I won't disagree or agree with something I don't completely understand.

IVNORD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2007 at 18:54

The ongoing devaluation (I probably have to use the official term depreciation, but it’s devaluation nonetheless)  is not a deliberate act. It’s rather a no-choice situation. We have to print the green paper to to cover our expenses or face a financial calamity. It surely hurts us. It’s a vicious cycle – the more we print, the more the dollar depreciates.   The rise in oil prices from $10 in 1999 to $78 last year is a direct consequence of it.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2007 at 22:57
That has much more to do with OPEC's manipulation than anything iternally economical
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>