Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Tech Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedipod v. ZEN

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2007 at 22:26
My ears aren't really good enough to determine the difference between lossless and an mp3 @ 160 kbps or above. As long as its sampled at 44100Hz. Gotta have that Nyquist rate, because my hearing range does go pretty high which is a bizarre combination, I guess.
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2007 at 02:32
^ it depends on the music too. There are complex audio signals which are hard to compress, and simple signals which are easy to compress. Basically the more is going on in the music the more difficult it is to reduce the information without any audible change.

Here are some albums which are very difficult to compress ... try any of them (Lossless/CD vs. 160kbps mp3) and you'll most definitely hear a difference. I picked those because I rip the CDs using variable bitrates, which means that the encoder chooses higher bitrates for complex signals and lower bitrates for simpler signals, and those albums were the ones with the highest resulting bitrates.

Anata - Under a Stone with No Inscription
Into Eternity - The Scattering of Ashes
Disillusion - Back to Times of Splendor
Devin Townsend - Synchestra
Converge - You Fail Me

Edited by MikeEnRegalia - March 21 2007 at 02:40
Failcore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2007 at 09:34
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

^ it depends on the music too. There are complex audio signals which are hard to compress, and simple signals which are easy to compress. Basically the more is going on in the music the more difficult it is to reduce the information without any audible change.

Here are some albums which are very difficult to compress ... try any of them (Lossless/CD vs. 160kbps mp3) and you'll most definitely hear a difference. I picked those because I rip the CDs using variable bitrates, which means that the encoder chooses higher bitrates for complex signals and lower bitrates for simpler signals, and those albums were the ones with the highest resulting bitrates.

Converge - You Fail Me

I doubt I'd still be able to hear a difference. I had some bad ear nfections as a child, that scarred my ear drum and damaged my auditory nerves,;I even have to look up lyrics to most songs before I can understand what they are saying.  Ouch I suppose by complexity of the signal, you are mainly referring to production stuff?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2007 at 10:15
^ no. The complexity of a signal is essentially determined by how many frequencies are active simultaneously ... the least complex signal is silence (obviously), the second least complex signal is one perfect sine wave (one frequency). All other signals can be thought as a combination of different sine waves layered on top of each other.  The more independent waves there are, the more difficult it is to remove information without affecting the quality. mp3 uses some tricks - some parts of the signal cannot be heard anyway for various reasons and can be left out without any problems. But when the desired bitrate is too low, the algorithm also removes parts which are audible ... particularly in high frequency sounds. Cymbals are a good benchmark.

Failcore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2007 at 14:38
Yeah, that makes sense. I haven't been able to tell a difference so far, but just to be sure I'll bump it up to 224Kbps, just in case I ever come accross something that it might make a significant difference on. I don't trust VBRs on account of I've heard ITunes does a craptastic job of making them. Coincidentally, I actually have a friend who refuses to listen to anything but wavefiles. He can't fit too much on his music player.Smile
KoS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2007 at 02:29
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

Converge - You Fail Me

I would also add The Human Equation, sounds terrible but acceptable.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2007 at 03:22
^ simply use variable bitrates, and it will sound *much* better, at equal file size.Smile
goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2007 at 07:08
Creative have too long a history of making crap soundcards for me to give them a chance (Ok, that's probably more my failing than theirs these days..!) and iPods are just overpriced for what they do. I've not seen anything to rival Cowon, although iRiver and Archos aren't bad. And Neuros, if you don't mind something a bit bulky.

All that said, I might end up working for a subsidiary of Creative next year so

Re bitrates/lossless compression, another interesting point is that noisier recordings are much harder to compress - that's not surprising from a technical point of view because of Fourier Transform and all that malarky, but it's counterintuitive because many people expect to be able to use low bitrates on poor quality originals, wheras it's actually probably likely to make more of a difference than on a quality modern recording...
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2007 at 07:40
"white noise" is the most complex signal ... a completely random mix of waveforms. Highly distorted signals come close ... that's why Industrial/Death Metal/Grindcore etc. are among the most difficult to compress signals. On the other hand classical music is really simplistic by comparison of the waveforms.
Failcore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2007 at 17:20
The simplest wave form are the most pleasing to the ear aren't they? OF course here at PA we are concerned with what's pleasing to the mind as well. Wink

Edited by Deathrabbit - March 22 2007 at 17:21
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2007 at 18:06
^ distortion can sound quite pleasing too ... it can be harmonic (as in good tube amps) or completely awful (clipping transistors).
Paradox View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2007 at 11:17
is 320kbps CD quality?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2007 at 13:23
^ no. It gets very close for most signals and even on good amps, but true CD quality can only be achieved with lossless formats.
Paradox View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2007 at 07:59

How do you go about creating a lossless file?

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2007 at 10:12
That depends on which software you use for ripping CDs. in CDex you can choose FLAC, in iTunes you can choose Apple Lossless, in the Windows Media Player you can choose Windows Audio Lossless.Smile
Unix View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2007 at 23:08
Do be warned though, a 20 minute song in lossless quality is roughly 125 - 140 MB in size

Paradox View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2007 at 16:47

Thanks guys! Thats a hefty size...All of my music is ripped in 320, so I think i'll keep it at that for now.

I rip all of my cds to an external hdd, and it took me far too long to do that, so in no hurry to do it all over again!
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2007 at 07:47
MY Creative Zen Jukebox wont play WMA Lossless....Cry
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2007 at 08:08
^ My Zen Micro doesn't support any lossless format either ... so I keep ripping my CDs in mp3. Maybe I'll re-rip to lossless in a couple of years, when there are affordable mobile players with 200GB.Big%20smile
Trademark View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2007 at 10:44
Everything I have works with everything I have. Apple, Apple, Apple.....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>