Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2007 at 10:48
^ so you don't have music subscriptions ... Tongue
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2007 at 18:20
I have a no-name mp3 player I bought from Scan for £5.

It plays mp3, wma and wav - and sounds good enough.

It reads SD cards - so there is no maximum limit, I just take a couple of 4Gb cards around with me, and that's enough music for a week, at least...

Why buy the name?
The important thing is not to stop questioning.
CalamityDaemon View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2007 at 01:01
I'll tell you this much:

The iPod, though ever-popular, has enough space to accommodate for my increasing collection of music that I simply cannot do without. It also allows me to (a) work out with it (b) carry on competitions for sports due to its nice size (c) accesorize more widely due to its popularity. The one killer for iPod is what kills most hard drives. It dies. The battery dies in about three years or so and costs $60 to be repaired by the factory, though I do mine myself for about $15. The customer service sucks and don't get me started on the finicky behavior of that red headed stepchild called iTunes.

The Zen, my brother has, and it gets caught up a lot in its processes and is more bulky and unwieldy. It IS lighter however because it is more of a cartridge than a hard drive. It DOESN'T use iTunes but it lacks the accessories that iPod has.

So really it depends on what you're willing to sacrifice I suppose. I love my iPod, but iTunes in itself makes me want to throw the thing in the garbage.
I wake to Sleep and I take my Waking slow,
I feel my fate in what I cannot fear,
I learn by going where I have to go.
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2007 at 05:34
^Easier to buy a 500Gb hardrive for your PC (around £60-70 currently), store as much music as you like on it, then transfer organised lists onto SD cards that you can store in your wallet. Installing an SD card reader into your PC is simple - or you can get an external one that connects via USB as a drive - then you just drag and drop your media onto it.

If it's in your PC, and you have SATA, you can create an array of drives, so that your data is safe in the event that one dies. I think it's much better to have a centralised store and draw from that than store everything in a place that could easily get lost, stolen or damaged.
Just my take...
The important thing is not to stop questioning.
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2007 at 06:31
^ Currently I'm only using 2-3 GB on my 6 GB player ... 30-40 albums, encoded in very high quality. It only takes a few seconds to transfer an album to the player ... so all I have to do is to update the player every couple of days. I connect it to the PC and remove all albums which I have listened to ... and then I decide which albums I should listen to next and transfer them.
Unix View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2007 at 04:06
I have been having problems with my iPod as of late... It some times freezes up, or lags for several seconds.  Like I'll press pause and 15 seconds later the song pasues Thumbs%20Down  Of course, my 300 GB external HD being broken, which holds all of my music on my computer, is proving to be quite a hassle, as I can't update my iPod without the fear of Itunes being stupid and deleting the songs I do have on my iPod...

Edited by Unix - April 08 2007 at 04:08

Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2007 at 15:25
Now Apple seems to be ditching DRM I might consider buying one...if I dont have to use the iTunes software to transfer...
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2007 at 15:31
Originally posted by Unix Unix wrote:

I have been having problems with my iPod as of late... It some times freezes up, or lags for several seconds.  Like I'll press pause and 15 seconds later the song pasues Thumbs%20Down  Of course, my 300 GB external HD being broken, which holds all of my music on my computer, is proving to be quite a hassle, as I can't update my iPod without the fear of Itunes being stupid and deleting the songs I do have on my iPod...

You can buy a decent plug and play external hard drive for the fraction of the cost of replacing a large hard drive IPOD.

Cert mentioned Scan earlier:

I bought one of these for about £80 from Scan (every so often they discount stuff as a Today Only special offer) and its excellent. I ahve two ATMT and can highly recommend their products.

Scan consistently sell PC stuff far cheaper on average than anyone else. They are also based in Bolton,which is the ultimate recommendation.Wink
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2007 at 18:33
ithink iPlods are a iPile of iPooh.

My 40Gb has been sent back to the customer service department in Amsterdamn three times. Apple don't repair and return your iPlod back to you - what this means is that my broken one was sent to Amsterdam and someone elses refurbished one was returned to me. So in reality I have had four different iPlods, three of which have broken-down with different faults. My daughter's iPlod mini suffered a similar fate.

And iTunes is iRubbish and the third party replacements are equally as bad. Why did Apple feel the need to re-invent a disc management system when both Mac OS and Windows have tried and tested one built-in.Angry iHubris. Evil%20Smile

iPah!

What?
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2007 at 19:35
iSecond that Wink
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2007 at 03:08
iThird ... (never had an iPod, but love my ZEN)!Tongue
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234