Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFriendship Time (Brought back from the grave)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Friendship Time (Brought back from the grave)
    Posted: March 03 2007 at 00:45
Hello and welcome-

Friendship Time was a progressive rock act of the 1970's previously thought to not have any recordings. Incorrect.

review by mellotronen.com

Yes this is our latest release and it has the official release date 26th of January 2007 but you can get it now if you like. This band recorded what should have been a release for VIRGIN Records in the year of 1975. Only a handful of Acetates came out and the master reels disappeard and the band broke up. Here you might think that the story ends... but not! Dag Lundqvist from Trettioĺriga Kriget phoned me 4 years ago about some strange tapes he had located in his attic. I borrowed them and almost died of happiness!!! The music totaly blew me away. What a mindblowing album!!! A band from 1975 sounding as a mix of CATHERDRAL - Stained Glass stories / YES - Fragile / ENGLAND - Garden Shed but most of all like PETER BANK´s FLASH. I played the cassette that I copied from the reels for almost every visitor who came to the shop during this time period and everyone agreed til 100% that this must be the ultimate symphonic chock of the century. It took me 2 more years to locate the members and what can say more than I am very proud to present the complete album incl. 2 bonustracks from 1976. The CD is housed in a nice DIGI-PAK with two interesting stories about the band and the lost tapes. Around 30 pictures of the members from 1975 are included as well. I am also proud to say that FRIENDSHIP TIME has done one of the best Symphonic albums of all time. Judge for yourself... Remember, they were only 18 years old when they recorded this album and it is exciting to hear a young band so maximal developed and with a mindblowing technical abillity that can make any musician give up their career. They live up to the great expectations I have given you. Should not risk to scream this out if it´s not was true. They will perform LIVE on the MELLO BOAT 27th of Janaury 2007. That´s it...!!!

review by Hansi Cross @ Progress Records:

Back in the mid seventies there was a band named Friendship Time who was touring rather intensively around Sweden, creating a following of enthusiastic fans. In 1974 they signed with Virgin and recorded the debut album and a test pressing was done. The LP cover was finished and everything was set for release. At this very point a series of tragic incidents happened involving the passing away of the bass player as well as the manager which resulted in that the album was never released.
Friendship Time consisted of: Leif Fröling on vocals and mellotron, Kent Kroon (who, among other things later on toured with Jan Akkerman, worked as studio technican/producer and appeared as special guest on the first and third Cross albums) on guitars, Dag Mattson (who released a solo album in the mid 90's featuring, among other's, Kent Kroon and Paatos' drummer Huxflux Nettermalm) on guitars, Martin Cerha on bass and mellotron, Thomas Löwgren on drums.
How they sound? Well... one can easy point out certain Yes influences.
Imagine a band with Steve Howe and Peter Banks on guitars and a more technical Chris Squire on bass with Bill Bruford, at times imitating Ginger Baker, on drums and a nameless Swedish vocalist adding some singing as well as mellotron here and there. Then you are getting rather close to how they did sound. We could also add some parts that maybe can be described as "Greenslade on two guitars".
An album from 1975 that, thanks to Mellotronen, we now - more than 30 years after it was meant to be released - are able to enjoy this very fine one. A true gem!

Tracklisting:
1. Anonymiteten (8:30)
2. Engine (9:13)
3. Clouds (8:36)
4. Martins Lilla (3:01)
5. Ombadidilio (7:48)
6. Watersong (6:53)
7. Crawling Up (3:50)

Total Time: 47:51

Line-Up:
- Leif Fröling / vocals
- Kent Kroon / guitars
- Dag Mattson / guitars
- Martin Cerha / bass & mellotron
- Thomas Löwgren / drums

Friendship Time can be ordered at www.mellotronen.com

If this has been spoken of on progarchives.com already I didn't see it, and I apologize. Furthermore this is all the information I have, feel free to add anything if you know something I don't.

Friendship Time is quit simply put, the proggiest-sounding thing to be released since about 1977. If this album is not chosen for top 5 contributor picks of 2007, I will lose much respect for the lists. You guys HAVE to hear this! I haven't the foggiest why they aren't famous like Yes quickly became (other then the fact that their connections died).

Thus far my personal number one prog album of the year, must own!

Edited by NotSoKoolAid - March 03 2007 at 00:55
mina View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2007 at 03:11
i saw friendship time on the mellotronen boat party, they were flawless live. so much energy and skill even after all these years. we got to talk to dag afterwards too, he is really cool if not a bit cracked out.
erik neuteboom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2007 at 08:58
Recently I heard their CD, wonderful, often dynamic music (with obvious early Yes hints) featuring great duo-guitarwork, strong bass play, an adventurous rhythm-section, some beautiful violin- and choir-Mellotron waves (evoking Yes-inspired bands like Druid and Lift) and pleasant vocals. Recommended but keep in mind that the focus is on guitars, not on vintage keyboards!

Edited by erik neuteboom - March 03 2007 at 08:58
mystic fred View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2007 at 04:02
they sound like they could fit in here- will investigate!Smile

Prog Archives Tour Van
NotSoKoolAid View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2007 at 01:06
By the way, I wasn't suggesting the band to begin with, (Not exaclty my motive for typing anymore).

It was, accurately created, a collection of news blurbs concerning a new release which was never reported on this website to my knowledge. If I'm right, this is quite unfortunate, though redeemable.
Teaflax View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2007 at 08:25
If they don't fit, no one does. The vocals are fairly mainstreamy, but they're a minor part of what is a total Progfest. Not flawless, but definitely recommended.

Also, Hansi Cross kind of conflates 20 years of events in his blurb. The album wasn't released in 1974, but Martin the bassist died in 1993. Not entirely related.

Edited by Teaflax - March 24 2007 at 08:28
 Post Reply Post Reply