Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLyricists in Line-Up for albums

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lyricists in Line-Up for albums
    Posted: March 03 2007 at 04:29
I was just thinking, wouldn't it be cool to find out who the lyricist is for bands

I looked at a few bands and didn't see someone attributed with writing the songs. I think it would be a great addition to the line up.

What do you think?

Edited by progismylife - March 03 2007 at 05:29
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2007 at 07:53
It would be nice, but it would be a monumental task to add them to the existing albums. We also need to keep a balance in terms of the amount of work needed for adding a new album.
Rather than lyricists, I'd suggest the song writers would be more appropriate.
Joolz View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2007 at 08:10
Songwriters, lyricists, recording details, alternative covers, booklet scans, production credits, even the actual lyrics .... yep would be nice .... and in an ideal world 'The Ultimate Prog Resource'  ought to have them [given copyright laws etc] .... but it just isn't feasible .... most of the active Collabs are beavering away trying to add the hundreds of new bands and albums .... until the huge backlog is resolved [probably never!] we simply don't have the resources.
andu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2007 at 08:24
I don't think such an option is a real need.

1. If one has already the album, he/she doesn't need to go on the PA for such data (like songwriting and lyrics credits); a search in the album booklet should suffice. If there is no such data on the booklet, sleeve or official site for him/her to consult, why would you think there's a better chance that PA Collabs would be able to do such a difficult documentation?

2. If one hasn't got the album, the presence of the data on the site is useless - what good would it do to you to know who wrote the lyrics of a song you can't hear (except for the case it's streamed here on the site) ?

3. I think it's a logical deduction to state that resuming to basic info for albums helps at not encouraging illegal download... which is the third option in this scenario. Let's keep people curious. If one wants the "full package", let him buy.

Smile
progismylife View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2007 at 08:28
Good points andu.

I was just merely suggesting something to see if it was plausible or not. 
andu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2007 at 08:39
What I wanted to say but I forgot is that I often wonder how many albums are added (by anonymous users, not by Collabs) having the actual album (disc and booklet) right in front. There are way too many that just have basic info. I could also add albums with covers taken from Google and year/lineup from my memory... but I don't. I don't own them. We should find a way to encourage and allow users to update the data base with more or correct info retrieved from the albums they own and also to find a way to certify the sources as of bona fide... but which would those ways be?

Edited by andu - March 03 2007 at 08:42
 Post Reply Post Reply