FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProg Chefs Unite!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 151152153154155 156>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2015 at 18:47
I made sticky lemon chicken this evening. Served with steamed new potatoes and pak choi.

I used breast meat simply because it was on offer in out local supermarket but normally I would have used thigh (its cheaper than breast, more moist and far tastier). Start by boiling some water in a kettle and while that is happening slice a lemon very thinly using a mandolin. Remove the skin from the chicken, discard any fat and cut meat into bite size pieces, season them well with salt and pepper. Then take three or four cloves of garlic and cut them in half (no need to peel) and fetch a sprig of fresh thyme from the garden. 

To cook heat a little oil in a wok or frying pan then toss in the chicken with the garlic and thyme. Fry on high heat until the chicken is browned all over. Now add a good splash of sherry vinegar (or red wine vinegar) and shake the wok around to coat each piece in the vinegar, allow to cook out for a minute before adding two tablespoonfuls of light soy sauce and three tablespoons of runny honey. Stir the sauce and honey together and boil away for a few second before adding the lemon slices, then pour over some of the hot water and bring back to the boil. Simmer for 10 minutes until the sauce is reduced to a sticky syrup and the chicken is fully cooked. If you were over generous when adding the water and the sauce is a little thin you can thicken it up by mixing a heaped teaspoon of corn flour (corn starch) with a little cold water to form a milky emulsion and adding that to the sauce.

While that was all cooking the potatoes were steamed for 20 minutes and the pak choi was halved lengthways and placed in the steamer after 10 minutes. Once cooked the spuds were treated to a knob of butter and a light splash of lemon juice while the pak choi was sprinkled with some toasted pine nuts, sesame seeds and dried chilli flakes (To toast these three I just throw then into a small frying pan and cook them on a high heat for a minute or two.)
What?
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2015 at 00:34
A friend who raises chickens gave me some fresh eggs today.   I'd heard so much about how far better they are than store-bought.   Sadly I have to say "Meh".   In fact they tasted (and looked) a bit off.   Maybe I'm just used to pasteurized food but I think fresh eggs have to be, like, friggin' fresh, straight out of the hen, that day.

Edited by Atavachron - August 03 2015 at 00:35
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2015 at 00:52
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

A friend who raises chickens gave me some fresh eggs today.   I'd heard so much about how far better they are than store-bought.   Sadly I have to say "Meh".   In fact they tasted (and looked) a bit off.   Maybe I'm just used to pasteurized food but I think fresh eggs have to be, like, friggin' fresh, straight out of the hen, that day.
Old eggs are easy to spot because they tend to be less viscous (runnier), for example a fried egg will have a flatter yolk and the white will be clearer and spread further in the pan. Eggs have to be really old to taste off, they have a shelf-life of 3-5 weeks.

Free range/organic/farm-fresh eggs will taste stronger than (or at least different to) mass-produced eggs because of what the birds eat before laying, this stronger taste could be mistaken for being a bit off tasting. In mass-production (even free-range mass production) the feed is more controlled so are more uniform (and blander) in taste. This taste difference is even more noticeable in duck eggs.

I wasn't aware that you could buy eggs that were pasteurised as this is uncommon in the UK unless the eggs are sold without shells. Looking deeper into it is seems there is a huge difference in opinion between the USA and Europe on egg safety, in the USA it is mandatory that eggs are washed before sale while here it is illegal to do that. Unwashed eggs have a natural protective bloom that prevents infection, washing removes this coating and also makes the shell more porous, increasing the risk of post-wash contamination (which is why you shouldn't store eggs near cheese or raw meat); also because of this difference in processing eggs are refrigerated in the USA and sold unrefrigerated in the UK.  Curiously, neither method is proven to be better as the number of salmonella outbreaks per capita are double in the USA compared to the UK but you eat twice as many eggs (that's not a correlation as most salmonella cases are caused by contaminated meat).
What?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2015 at 01:00
^ Yeah I figured it must be not being used to eating fresh eggs--  like "French butter" seeming cheesy when really that's how butter should taste.   And you answered my curiosity about whether the eggs I ate had been refrigerated or if that's even necessary, and whether that qualifies them as 'fresh'.

BTW:  I think these eggs would've been perfect for baking; very flavorful and rich.

Edited by Atavachron - August 24 2015 at 01:01
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2015 at 01:39
A couple of weeks ago I cooked a cold platter of fish for 60 people, this was my first (and probably last) foray into mass-catering. By all accounts it was an unqualified success and I received a lot of compliments for "salmon and trout ceviche" part of the dish, so for your amusement and entertainment I present a variation of the recipe for two people...

Sea Bass and Rainbow Trout Ceviche, with Bruchetta.
for the ceviche:
1 Sea Bass fillet
1 Rainbow Trout fillet
1 Orange
1 Lime
2 Passion fruits
1 red chilli
1 green chilli
seeds from 1 vanilla pod (or a drop of vanilla extract)
some herbs (parsley and chives)
some edible flowers (optional)
for the bruchetta:
Slices of nice Italian bread (ciabatta or pane Pugliese) 
1 red onion, peeled and finely diced
1 tomato, de-seeded and finely diced
50mm of cucumber, peeled, de-seeded and finely diced.
1 small sweet pepper, de-seeded and finely diced
1 clove of garlic, halved.
Some flavoursome EVOO
Some fresh herbs (basil and mint)

Step one. Using a microplane grater zest citrus fruit into a bowl and add the pulp from the passion fruit:

Step two. Add the juice from the citrus fruit with the vanilla and give it a good stir:

Step three. Slice fish thinly - how thin depends on how long you will marinate the fish in the citrus juice, if leaving it over night make each slice about 5mm, if only a few hours then make them thinner. Arrange the slices of fish neatly in a shallow dish so than none of them overlap.

Step four. Pour citrus marinade mixture over fish, then slice both chillies and scatter over. Season with pepper (no need to add salt just yet).

Step five. Cover in food-wrap and place in refrigerator for at least two hours (or over-night).

Step six. Just before serving, prepare bruchetta by mixing diced veg and torn-up herbs together in the serving dish:

Step seven. presentation: Drizzle bruchetta mix with a good measure of extra virgin olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Toast the bread and rub the toasted surface with the garlic. Remove food-wrap from fish and scatter with fresh herbs and edible flowers, (I used borage flowers because our garden is over-run with them), taste juice and add salt if necessary (unlikely due to the fish). 

Step eight. Serve:

Step nine. Assemble and enjoy:

(yes, the knife and fork is laid-out incorrectly, I am right-handed but eat cack-handed)

Edited by Dean - August 24 2015 at 02:11
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2015 at 02:53
Originally posted by Atkingani Atkingani wrote:

For the caipirinha I suggest to make it with lime instead of the more traditional lemon.

I made this Approve ... ohmygoshohmygoshohmygosh it was good - definitely my favourite cocktail at the moment. Unfortunately I ordered one in London bar at the weekend and they hadn't muddled the lime and sugar together before adding the cachaca. 

A few months ago we did visit the Brasilian restaurant (Cabana) I mentioned a few pages back.

They managed to make a perfect caipirinha, as is evident from its affect on me and my dear wife...

Alex and I had Malagueta Pulled Pork in a bun, and very tasty it was too...

We also tried their brigadeiros ... but they were all eaten before I had chance to take a picture.
What?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2015 at 02:58
^ Great pics

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2015 at 03:21
Thanks David. I was in Milpitas/San Jose the other week on a brief 4-day "flying-visit" to one of our sister-companies. Our hosts entertained my colleague and I for the duration of our stay, providing both lunch and evening meals and I have to say the food was disappointing, even in a pretentiously expensive restaurant in Los Gatos. On our only free-day I suggested to the guy I was travelling with that we head off down to Monterey as many years ago I'd eaten some fine fish dishes there, but sadly the meal I ordered managed to be simultaneously overcooked and cold such that I had to break my normal English reserve and send it back. 

It's strange how fortunes have changed - fifteen years ago I had some fantastic food around the SF bay area and wouldn't have eaten in London if you had paid me. Now I think nothing of taking a one hour train journey to London just to eat and heartily look forward to it.
What?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2015 at 16:01
^ Oh I believe it--  there are many wonderful places to eat in Northern Cal but they are fewer than in the past, and many of them off the beaten path.   I too have had some great seafood in Monterey, but good for you to send it back.   That's not easy to do, but it usually helps the kitchen staff to wake up.

Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2015 at 17:57
Last week we hit a local orchard and picked up several varieties of great apples.  One I bought was a mild chestnut crabapple as I enjoy the extra zip in my apple sauce.  Threw it together today and it turned out marvelous. 

Was about 12-15 crabapples with 1.25 cups water, .75 cup brown sugar, .25 cup white sugar, a few shakes nutmeg, a few generous shakes cinnamon, and a shot of good bourbon (I've used 2-3 shots before and that can quickly overpower the other flavors so now I just use one).  These are all approximates after the fact....i don't follow hard recipes usually.  I don't overboil because I like the chunkier texture and I always leave the skin on because I love that feel too.  So I wash my apples carefully as I don't skin them.  It got a "this is pretty good" from the wife, "pretty good" being her highest rating. She never gets more excited than that with her food adjectives. 

Edited by Finnforest - October 03 2015 at 17:58

Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2015 at 18:16
Sounds and looks wonderful! I also like to leave the skin on, not only because of the texture, but also because I'm lazyLOL.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2015 at 18:35
And I think its good for you too!  Isn't it often the skin area that has the densest nutrients and fiber?Smile

emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2015 at 20:40
Looks wonderful, I will try it the next time I make apple pie, it would make a brilliant sauce.

The pie I made was a big hit this evening, people ate seconds and would have gone for thirds if there had been any left after the seconds.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2015 at 21:23
^ I believe it, that looked amazing. 

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2015 at 21:29
Dean, those sea bass photos are amazing. 

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2015 at 21:36
I guess the crab apples we have over here are different to what you're cooking (the chunks in the photographs look a lot bigger than anything we have growing in the UK). Even with only ¼ cup of sugar for 12-15 tiny English crab apples the sauce would be so soar your face would turn inside out on tasting the first spoonful. Pinch
What?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2015 at 21:49
Well don't forget the brown sugar!

But yes, this variety is larger and also much less sour than what you'd expect from a crabapple.  You can eat it right from your hand without hardly a grimace. 

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2015 at 21:52
Chestnut Crab

An excellent pollinator for other apples. This annual bearer, developed at the University of Minnesota in 1946, produces 2" pale yellow crabapples with streaky red blushes and some russeting. Creamy white flesh is fine-grained and crisp, with a sweet, nut-like flavor that is great for fresh eating, cooking or making jams. Tree is vigorous and hardy and adapts well to different soil types. Cold-hardy. Ripens in early September. Self-pollinating.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2015 at 21:58
The crabapples in Vermont are pretty small, though I'm sure bigger varieties grow.   The ones I remember are about the size of large marbles -

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2015 at 22:01
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Dean, those sea bass photos are amazing. 
Tasted pretty good too.

Today we made a coffee meringue gāteau ...

The filling was made by beating together 2 parts mascarpone cheese to 1 part fresh cream and sandwiching it between four layers of sponge that had been liberally brushed with espresso coffee. The whole thing was then smothered in coffee flavoured French meringue and attacked with a gas blow torch before being dusted with coco powder and decorated with "mushrooms" made by perching small meringue kisses atop marshmallow stalks....  So essentially there is a tiramisu dessert hiding beneath all that frosting.
What?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 151152153154155 156>