FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProg Chefs Unite!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 148149150151152 156>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2015 at 12:42
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Mmmm - never heard of gougeres before but they look damn tempting. I presume it's some kind of savoury choux pastry?

Exactly right. Fairly easy to make, and totally worth it.

Finn, those loaves of bread look sooo good. Clap
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2015 at 17:59
Thanks Frins, they were pretty darn good this time.  I'm learning!

And your photos below look incredibly delicious.  Clap

*frinspar* View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2015 at 17:38
Made more pretzels today, this time from scratch. I think they taste better than the mix we used before.
My wife felt like experimenting also, and made a batch of chocolate pretzels. They need some kind of dipping sauce, I think, but taste pretty good anyway.

Yes, it does look a bit like a Mr. Hankey cloning project. Wink LOL
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 06:19
LOL

Salted pretzels and chocolate are mmmorish. Approve

They look more like churros (fried choux) than pretzels, but still - chocolate ... mmmm.

A simple and foolproof chocolate sauce can be made by whisking equal weights of coco powder and caster (superfine) sugar together with a splash of hot water over a low heat until it forms a thick glossy sauce. Of course you can make a very rich sauce using dark chocolate, cream, sugar and butter but that can easily go wrong and split, or end up as an unpleasant sticky fudge.

I braised a couple of short-ribs yesterday - marinaded for 24 hours in red wine and root vegetables, braised for 2 hours in a low oven then grilled (broiled) once the meat had fallen from the bones, the braising vegetables were drained off and discarded, and the resulting liquor used to make a sumptuous gravy. I served the ribs with mash and a glorious medley of roasted veg...

The veg (butternut squash, sweet potatoes, turnip, carrot and banana-shallots) was split length-ways (unpeeled) to produce long thin wedges, these were tossed in light olive oil, seasoned with S&P and sprinkled with a few dried chilli flakes and put into a shallow roasting dish. This was covered in cling-film (shrink-wrap, food-wrap, call it what you will) and then in aluminium foil (ensuring to pronounce both the "i's" in aluminium or the recipe will fail) and put in a medium oven for 45 minutes so that the veg cooks in its own steam. The foil and cling-film cover is then removed and the veg roasted for another 30 minutes or so to caramelise the natural sugars. If I am using lesser tasting veg than these I will drizzle them in balsamic vinegar (the thick stuff) before serving, but these were so sweet and yummy it wasn't needed and in any case the rich wine gravy from the ribs was more than enough extra flavouring.
What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 12:17
Churros can be addictive. lol
However, we prepped them the same as regular pretzels, in boiling water with baking soda. They do look fried in the picture, but were dense and bready.

The novelty of these wore off pretty quickly and we tossed them. Once cooled, the flavor just wasn't there, and adding a glaze on top didn't help. Would've just been taking on extra calories without enjoying them, so in the garbage they went. It was worth a shot though.

I'll keep the chocolate sauce in mind for something more worthwhile down the road.

Those ribs and veggies sound fantastic. Thumbs Up

Tonight will be grilled pizza night. We make a big batch of our own dough and freeze it with a little olive oil in a vacuum bag, so we can take it out whenever we want it. I roll the dough out nice and thin, throw it on the very hot grill to color one side, bring them in to sauce and add toppings to the cooked side, then plop them back on to finish. Crispy and delicious. Smile
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 12:28
Nothing ventured nothing gained, it could have worked and become a new pretzel sensation - perhaps choc-chip would work better.

Cooking pizza that way sounds like a neat way of ensuring crisp crust, if I wasn't such a 100% convert to calzone I'd give it a try.
What?
silverpot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 15:36
Wow, what a nice thread, how come I've never seen it before?
Anyway, have some reading up to do, 150 pages or so, lol. I'll do that while I try Dean's rib recipe next weekend. Sounds delicious Thumbs Up

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2015 at 13:03
We've been making our own pickles for a while now, spears and chips. The latest batch finally marinated long enough to refrigerate and I just had some with my lunch. Delicious!

The bad part is that when I get a craving for a pickle and there aren't any made, I have to get the stuff to make them then wait 2 or 3 days after that before I can feed that craving. Confused LOL
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2015 at 13:39
Spears and chips? I've not heard that phrase before associated with pickles, what veg are they?
What?
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2015 at 13:42
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Spears and chips? I've not heard that phrase before associated with pickles, what veg are they?

I assume spears and chips refer to the pickle shape.

Chips:

Spears:

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2015 at 13:50
LOL Yup, Padraic got it.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2015 at 13:55
Ah ... gherkins. LOL

I forgot that "pickles" in the states refers to this item. Over here since practically any vegetable (and even eggs) can be pickled then "pickles" is a more generic term, though can be used for a veg medley. 

Its not something I do much though I'm into most other forms of preserving. As a kid I remember every year I'd have to peel dozens of small onions, tears streaming down my face, so my mum could pickle them. I prefer to just soak raw sliced onion in vinegar for a few hours.

For a quick pickled cucumber fix, slice one thinly (erm ... as chips), sprinkle with salt to draw out the water. After 10 minutes squeeze out as much water as you can, then sprinkle with the acid of your choice (vinegar, lemon juice or lime juice). Eat immediately. Also works with most root vegetables such as carrot or radish.
What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2015 at 14:01
You had to peel onions. I got to polish Mom's silver. I made the mistake of saying I liked to do it once as a small boy, which apparently meant I was volunteering to do it until I left home. LOL

Prepped a bourbon sauce earlier to marinate chicken in for tonight, along with some red beans and rice. Should be good.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2015 at 14:03
Yeah, in the US "pickle" denotes a pickled cucumber.  If it's another pickled vegetable we call it a "pickled $VEGETABLE".  No one says gherkin.  Smile
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2015 at 20:41
^ Besides; "gherkins" here are usually those awful tiny sweet & sour things no one knows what to do with.

Edited by Atavachron - January 14 2015 at 20:42
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 17:59
Dean, enjoying my first Bombay Sapphire....exquisite.  Thank you for that recommendation!  Big smile

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 18:02
Thumbs Up
What?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 18:03
I'll let you know in the morning if my head and gut still like your recommendation.  They're going down way to easy.  LOL

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 18:13
Talking of Bombay, I cooked a simple India inspired fish dish this evening. Made a kinda pesto using 1 tbsp EVOO, 3 tbsp Lemon juice, tsp ground cumin, tsp ground coriander seed, 1 green chilli, a few parsley stalks, a handful of shredded Savoy cabbage (any green cabbage will do) and about 50g of raw cashew nuts - blitzed in food-processor/blender to a chunky paste. Spread on side of cod or other white fish and loosely wrap in foil (en papillote). Bake in medium oven for 15 minutes. Obviously it would be more traditional to use coconut instead of cashew and coriander (cilantro) instead of cabbage but we didn't have either of those so I improvised.
What?
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 18:16
Sounds great Dean.  We love fish cooked in this manner. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 148149150151152 156>