Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGojira

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gojira
    Posted: March 11 2007 at 00:56
I was interested to hear what people had to say about this new french band i am listeing to, Gojira. i recently discovered them off of a link related to ISIS, though the bands have little in common. they are starting to grow on me and i was plesently suprised to find them on this site. no review however. So what do you think?

"music expresses that which cannot be put into words, and that which cannot remain silent"
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2007 at 05:32
Awesome band ... I love their last album (From Mars to Sirius). I'll post a review soon!

Edit: done!Smile

Edited by MikeEnRegalia - March 11 2007 at 06:03
Ed_The_Dead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2007 at 09:02
definetly a cool band. From Mars to Sirus is a great album. Brutal, original and elegant. And quite cool vids.
Trickster F. View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2007 at 09:05
I am unimpressed and to be honest never understood how they appeared on this site.
sig
laplace View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2007 at 09:20
Originally posted by Trickster F. Trickster F. wrote:

I am unimpressed and to be honest never understood how they appeared on this site.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2007 at 09:35
They were accepted unanimously by the Prog Metal Team.Smile
Trickster F. View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2007 at 10:26
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

They were accepted unanimously by the Prog Metal Team.Smile

D'uh!
sig
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2007 at 10:29
LOL what's the problem with From Mars to Sirius ... don't you think it's at least a bit more prog than - say - Guns 'n Roses?Wink
NotSoKoolAid View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2007 at 17:01
I share Trickster's opinion.

But also It almost seems as if any group that has as well as a minute of prog-related material in existence, they are welcomed here. Eventually the lines are blurred so much between prog and all other forms of music, that there is no prog. History is erased.

You're welcome to get angry about it, I suppose.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2007 at 18:40
^ I won't do you the favour and get angry.LOL

But why don't you do me a favour: Explain to me why From Mars to Sirius is not Prog ... and don't just give me the "because it's obvious and I say so" routine.Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2007 at 19:26

^ I won't do you the favour and get angry.LOL

But why don't you do me a favour: Explain to me why From Mars to Sirius is not Prog ... and don't just give me the "because it's obvious and I say so" routine.Wink

I'm glad you chose to not get angry.

Any conversation concerning "What is prog" and "What is not prog" depends on your definition of prog. That's why nobody ever agrees. If any group, that happens to be progressive in any musical sense, is added to the mass amount of "progressive rock" we already have here, we are left with all music that is progressive of course! This part should be obvious. But is this what those who revolve their lives around progressive rock want?

Progressive rock to me, personally, is a style of music. It's not a matter of being progressive (Though the name implies such!). Bad tag, inaccurate name. Music existed in the 1970's that just so happened to be called progressive rock, but that's not to say there was nothing else progressive going on. It was called progressive rock for the purpose of finally having a name to call all these experimental, commercially awkward groups, such as Yes, ELP, Genesis etc. Knowing this, it is one sort of style I often want, and it is this style I refer to as progressive. That IS progressive rock - the roots. Though I acknowledge all sub-genres currently on this website as having the potential to be prog-rock, I fail to see the relation between most of the new metal added to the site this year and last, to anything that happened in the 1970's. Beyond this, how many groups labelled prog-metal on this website DO NOT sound like prog-metal? How many are unclassifiable, as the classic prog-rock groups were? I am content calling Gojira metal. Just metal.

My previous reply was thrown out for the reason of style, not progressive music. I didn't phrase it this way before. My mistake! Next, I'm done going into symantics album by album with people here, as the liberal "Lets add everything" virtually always wins. Let's not dillydally, we all have better things to do. That's how this site wants to work, under current admissions. I can't change that. But I will have my opinions, as will you, the reader.

Furthermore, the kinds of groups you add are only limited to your definition. This is a truth. If you are one of the types to believe contrary to me, i.e. all progressive music belongs on this website, you are bound to nitpick a huge variety of music, inevitably wondering how anyone would deny them entry here. Maybe you wish to take it to the extreme? May as well add anyone who tried something new at this rate. New ideas=progressive? -Technically...- Nobody ever played like Coltrane, nobody ever sang quite like Sinatra. Add them? Or how about Blink 182? When I hear that voice, I always know it's them, as nobody else sounds like that. Add it, why not? It's all progressive, I promise.

Music clearly doesn't have to be related to the invention/creation of progressive-rock/art-rock to be added to progarcs, hell it doesn't even have to be unclassifiable as bands were in the 1970's. You, and others, proved that with your suggestions, which were successful.

Everything stated by me here is with an aim to reach the best possible solution. I'm not trying to start a fight.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2007 at 19:37
^ thanks for the elaborate answer, but you still haven't said anything specific about the album in question. From what you're saying I gather that you don't think that any metal can be called prog, so I fail to see the point in you even starting an argument about Gojira ...

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2007 at 19:41

^ thanks for the elaborate answer, but you still haven't said anything specific about the album in question. From what you're saying I gather that you don't think that any metal can be called prog, so I fail to see the point in you even starting an argument about Gojira ...

I'll bet you don't know how I know you didn't read my response word for word.

You forgot to mention, that I mentioned, I won't explain what will NEVER make a difference. You won, because the band is here, and never have I observed a group being deleted from this website.

How do I, someone not on admissions, convince a bunch of add-hungry admissions people of anything? Do you not see the hopelessness in that cause?? You don't even see I'm not arguing, I'm stating my opinions. I saw Gojira on an MTV station. Believe me?

Stop wasting people's time. It's rude.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2007 at 19:50
^ I did read your response ... I simply think that it makes all the difference. How can you expect to be taken seriously without being specific? You just keep saying "They're not prog because I say so - I know better than the prog metal team and most of the other members".

BTW: This is not about winning or losing. There are many bands which I would like to add, but the team denied them ... and there are many bands that others wanted to add, and I (together with other team members) rejected them. Democracy, plain and simple.

You're free to join my website - there all members have equal rights in terms of genre assignments. But I guess you'll simply stay here and keep complaining ... you actually seem to be enjoying it.Wink

Edit: And about MTV: In the early 70s bands like Yes or Genesis were all over the radio stations ... go figure.Tongue

Edited by MikeEnRegalia - March 11 2007 at 19:51
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2007 at 20:02
With genre, I was specific. The extent in which you ignore this is your choice. You seem to assume also, I have never been specific, with album by album, song by song, details.

You want someone to tell you why Gojira shouldn't be here. This is backwards logic, as you should explain to everyone why Gojira should be here. Without this explaination, Gojira shouldn't be here. I've never heard the explaination, so in my mind, Gojira shouldn't be here.

I thought it was common sense, but it's spelled out for you now.

Been there, done that.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2007 at 20:23
You're free to read my review which I submitted today. But please forgive me when I leave it to you to figure out that their music is slightly more complex than Blink 182 ... if you really want to go down to that level of arguing, then I'm staying behind.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2007 at 20:49
I've noticed every one of your responses has nothing to do with the content of mine. Leading me to fully understand this is a waste of time.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2007 at 21:00
So you did not mention Blink 182 in your post?Wink
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2007 at 10:40
Gojira! That`s Japaneese for my favourite monster KIng of the Monsters Godzilla.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2007 at 11:09
^ so you have some idea of what Gojira sound like ... Cool
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>