Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe truth about the TOP 100 ranking

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The truth about the TOP 100 ranking
    Posted: March 28 2007 at 17:04
"The album ranking algorithm is an attempt at finding a balance between quality (average rating) and popularity (number of ratings) . If popularity was not considered at all the top of the chart would be cluttered with hundreds of obscure albums with only one or two 5 star reviews. If quality was not considered the top of the chart would essentially show the most most reviewed albums. In order to find a balance between those two extremes the parameters of the algorithm were configured so that the resulting chart matches the expectations of the typical prog expert (your faithful admins and collabs). For example, the top 10 should feature albums which are considered to be the best prog albums of all time - like Close to the Edge, Selling England by the Pound or ItCotCK. Of course there are some experts who believe that the true masterpieces are not among these most popular albums ... "hidden gems" like Gentle Giant - Octopus, CAN - Ege Bamyasi, Magma - Mekanik Destruktiv Kommandoh, Van der Graaf Generator - Pawn Hearts ... these are albums with high average ratings (quality) but fewer reviews (popularity) than the widely known albums. But you can't please everybody, and especially for newbies the more popular albums are a good starting point for exploring metal ... save the best for last!"
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2007 at 17:08
^ this is a statement which I made in another, non-public thread ... akin thinks it is offensive and might cause some kind of controversy if made available to the public. So I allowed him to quote it ... in case any of you are wondering why this thread exists, and why the first post is in quotes.Wink

Edited by MikeEnRegalia - March 28 2007 at 18:20
Failcore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2007 at 17:21
I think its a pretty good algorithm. However, it would be even better if you could choose the emphasis, ratings or popularity. But maybe that's too much work for the end result.
martinn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2007 at 17:23
Yes, so...?Ermm
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2007 at 17:35
Originally posted by akin akin wrote:

"<snip> But you can't please everybody, and especially for newbies the more popular albums are a good starting point for exploring metal ... save the best for last!"

Shocked I hope that word in bold is a mistake???? Or is this the algorithm from progtology.com?  Wink

Edited by Angelo - March 28 2007 at 17:35
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2007 at 17:36
Originally posted by martinn martinn wrote:

Yes, so...?Ermm

Ehm... yeah, so?Confused
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2007 at 17:56
Originally posted by Angelo Angelo wrote:

"<snip> But you can't please everybody, and especially for newbies the more popular albums are a good starting point for exploring metal ... save the best for last!"

Shocked I hope that word in bold is a mistake???? Or is this the algorithm from progtology.com?  Wink

It's a mistake  ... I wrote that text in a hurry. Of course it should say "prog" instead of "metal" ... WinkTongue

BTW: If you think that there's too much metal and not enough rock on PROGtology.com ... submit some ratings to even it out!Big%20smile

Edited by MikeEnRegalia - March 28 2007 at 17:57
Chris H View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2007 at 18:00
I dont see why so many people with the rating system.
I personally think that it's the perfect balance, neutralize popularity with quality. What can go wrong?
Beauty will save the world.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2007 at 18:05
This is the problem: Some people get angry because some of their favorite albums have higher average ratings than CttE or the other albums in the top 10 (20, 50, 100 etc) but fewer ratings/reviews ... so they're demanding that the weight of the popularity (number of ratings)  is reduced because they think this makes the algorithm more "fair".

Chris H View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2007 at 18:09
Yeah but you can combat that arguement with something that was already said. For a prog "newbie", the exposure to the really popular albums will lead to exploration and eventually ratings/reviews to the lesser-known albums.

The thing that bothers me though, is that the people that think the lesser-known albums dont get enough ratings and complain about it never seem to write reviews of their ownLOL
Beauty will save the world.
Frasse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2007 at 18:17
Originally posted by el böthy el böthy wrote:

Originally posted by martinn martinn wrote:

Yes, so...?Ermm

Ehm... yeah, so?Confused

Yeah, I want to know too.

Edited by Frasse - March 28 2007 at 18:18
proghairfunk View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2007 at 20:08
out of curiosity, what is the actual formula for the alogirithem, so i can see how much emphasis is placed on either part.
lightbulb_son View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2007 at 20:14
Originally posted by Angelo Angelo wrote:

Pinch Youch that was quite a burn. I personally love progtology.com. They have a good balance IMO, although at times its a tad too prog-metal heavy.
When the world is sick
Can't no one be well
But I dreamt we were all
beautiful and strong

lightbulb_son View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2007 at 20:16
In all honesty, I don't pay much attention to the top 100 anymore. Really guys, it's not a big deal. If you want to change anything, then submit more reviews.

I do think the algorithm should hold quality over popularity, but thats just my opinion.
When the world is sick
Can't no one be well
But I dreamt we were all
beautiful and strong

russellk View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2007 at 20:36
I think the algorithm is nigh on perfect, and I want to publicly thank those involved. It's all in how you use it, really. The top albums are the best' popular' prog albums; others further down the track are either popular albums on which opinion is divided, or more obscure albums beloved of fans. What tends to happen, I've observed, is that as an obscure album gets noticed and more people acquire it, the average rating gradually drops and its position stays about the same. This seems to be as the album moves out of the ambit of fans only and into the general prog consciousness.

Lotsa fun and not a life or death issue.

Edited by russellk - March 28 2007 at 20:38
rileydog22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2007 at 21:51
I don't understand why anybody gives a crap about the top 100.  If you love an album, then you love an album.  Does it really matter that it isn't on the list some computer algorithm spit out?

darkmatter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2007 at 21:56
Originally posted by rileydog22 rileydog22 wrote:

I don't understand why anybody gives a crap about the top 100.  If you love an album, then you love an album.  Does it really matter that it isn't on the list some computer algorithm spit out?

I agree.  I don't mind the top 100, but the more important thing is that you like the album.  Rankings don't necessarily mean anything other than that the majority of people like these albums.
russellk View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2007 at 01:02
Part of the usefulness of this site is to find NEW music. The rankings help with that. That's why people ought to give a crap. It's not so you can feel all superior - or inferior - about the music you like.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2007 at 01:51
The top of the charts is pretty much as I would expect. It feels right so I'm happy.Obviously I would happier if my favourite album (Brain Salad Surgery) was higher but I have to factor in others opinions who don't share my enthusiasm.Hence its low placing (and other ELP albums) I suppose.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2007 at 02:08
Honestly I consider the Top 100 only as a reference for how to start a decent Prog colection.

I believe that Foxtrot is incredibly superior to SEBTP and Relayer is at least in the level of CTTE, but at the end there's no problem, being that it's oonly a reference.

Good list though despite some slight disagreements but taste is personal.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - March 29 2007 at 02:09

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>