Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedOsada Vida - polish prog metal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2007 at 23:50
Originally posted by erik neuteboom erik neuteboom wrote:

My problem with the prog metal category for Osada Vida is that progheads who don't like (or even hate) prog metal tend to avoid reading Osada Vida reviews, like neo-prog 'haters' avoid reading neo-prog reviews (and I know many of them!). So that's why I mentioned the category 'heavy progressive (rock)' and I am glad that Avestin did the same in his review. Perhaps that after many years of discussing about it, Prog Archives will start to use this category because it will make things more clear for progheads, Heavy Prog scouts the 'grey' borders between symphonic prog, hardrock and prog metal and will fit for new bands like Entrance, Riverside, Matraz, Toccata, Presto Ballet and Dimension X .... in my opinion.

SO are you saying if they are in Prog Metal they won't get the attention you think they deserve?

erik neuteboom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2007 at 06:26
I write progrock reviews for more than 15 years (for several magazines and sites) and from this experience I have discovered that it often works like this: progheads wanted to read big names in order to compare, which bands match with their (often conservative) taste and which bands match with the categories they like? So if a band is labelled as Prog Metal the prog metal 'haters' will avoid the reviews about 'Prog Metal' band Osada Vida, the same way as neo-prog 'haters' avoid the neo-prog reviews. In my opinion a substantial amount of  non Prog Metal fans will be unaware of the Symphonic Prog/Art-Rock/Heavy Prog potential of Osada Vida and that is what concerns me. I am sure Osada Vida will get a lot of attention in the category Prog Metal (and they deserve that) but I simply think that Heavy Prog will do more justice to their sound.

Edited by erik neuteboom - July 17 2007 at 06:55
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2007 at 09:27
I can see Erik's point. I do not care for most metal, and am hesitant to check out bands with that label. Hearing Indukti changed that for me. But, that happened because I saw them at NEARfest.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12