Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew Genesis CD/DVDs now available!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Genesis CD/DVDs now available!
    Posted: April 02 2007 at 08:51
The newly remastered post-Gabriel Genesis CD/DVD sets are released today here in the UK (not sure about elsewhere).

I ordered A Trick Of The Tail, Wind And Wuthering, and And Then There Were Three this morning. Best price I found was on CD-WOW - £10.99 (about US$20) including delivery. In fact, I think delivery is free regardless of destination.

Looking forward to these!! Big%20smile

"We did it....you and me! Put him right under the table!"
Frasse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2007 at 10:59
I already have all the CDs except Abacab (I'm not that much of a hi-fi geek, so I can live without the remasters) but the DVDs looks interesting, as does the bonus CD you'll get when you buy the box.
That one was as expensive as going to see them this summer though, so I'll see (I wish I was richCry)

Edited by Frasse - April 02 2007 at 11:00
Norm Cash View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2007 at 11:34
Frasse

Like you, I already have the earlier CD versions of these, but I'm particularly interested in the bonus material - especially the Genesis In Concert stuff on Trick. Also, I'm only interested in Trick, Wind, and ATTWT, so buying the box set was never really a consideration for me.

It'll be interesting to see if they bring out the Gabriel-era albums in the same format. I wonder what kind of goodies they could come up with by way of "extras"?

MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2007 at 11:35
These albums were also released on Napster today ... a great chance to check out the sound of the remasters!
Man Erg View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2007 at 12:14
Just played part of ATOTT DVD.

The Live '76 film is very good....so far. I've only got up to Carpet Crawl so far. Fly on a Windshield is dissapointing. I saw Genesis on this tour and FoaW was a stand-out.

On the DVD, the song dosen't build to a crescendo at the beginning. It starts at the crescendo!

The film backdrop at the gig for FoaW started with a white speck growing larger as the song builds. When the crescendo is reached the speck becomes a skull.All that you see on the DVD is a glimpse of the skull fading away.Blink and you'll miss it.

Anyway.'Beggars can't be choosers.'
The sound is fantastic both on the CD and the DVD.

PS. Collins' tambourine-abatics on, I Know What I Like...are spectacular.

Edited by Man Erg - April 02 2007 at 12:23

Do 'The Stanley' otherwise I'll thrash you with some rhubarb.
Norm Cash View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2007 at 04:55
PRICE CHECK..........

For UK buyers, the best prices now seem to be via Amazon Marketplace - £10.22 including postage (£8.98 + £1.24).

Unless you absolutely must be the first person on the block to have a disc, I simply can't understand why anyone pays the inflated "pre-order" prices.

Man Erg View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2007 at 05:43
In Virgin the price was £18 per disc!!!
In HMV £14.99

There's a beautiful irony there

Do 'The Stanley' otherwise I'll thrash you with some rhubarb.
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2007 at 05:53
Very impressed with these so far; I plumped for Trick, Wind, ATWTT and Duke. Not sure if I'd go for Abacab and in any case the box is still a fair bit higher priced.

I'm glad the remixes I've played have mostly been subtle thus far, I feared drastic overhauls but happily not, soundwise there seems to be much enhancement and I could see these replacing the 94 remasters I have which sound ragged by comparison, imho.

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2007 at 12:41

I've got ATOTT ..came in the post this morning.Smile

tdreamer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2007 at 17:53
I bought the box..on first listen they done a good job on them all. Roll on the Gabriel years.
erik neuteboom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2007 at 18:01
As a 70-77 Genesis freak I am very curious to the new remastered editions, a friend told me that it contains interesting video footage like from the Wind And Wuthering promo (30 minutes) and the Genesis In Concert gig. Good thread, Norm Cash but how about Lady Lake, did you buy their latest CD that contains 79-80 material (neo-prog-avant-la-lettre!)?

Edited by erik neuteboom - April 03 2007 at 18:01
Norm Cash View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2007 at 18:49
Hey Erik!!

No, I haven't bought the Lady Lake Unearthed CD yet. It's on my list, but I just haven't got round to it. Don't worry, though....I'll get there!

I did order the new Knight Area CD today (see the other thread in this section). Seems to be a good one, so I'm looking forward to getting it.

I'm going to have a lot of stuff to listen to this month! Genesis, Knight Area, Porcupine Tree, Alan Parsons Project remasters...... I've also recently picked up discs by the Black Noodle Project, Nexus, Kazumi Watanabe, Abel Ganz, Gong, Gazpacho and Steve Hillage. But what am I listening to most of all right now? Has Been by William Shatner Embarrassed.

Weird, or what?

erik neuteboom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2007 at 05:09
The Black Noodle Project their latest release Play Again is an overlooked progrock beauty, what a very compelling album, see my review. The new Nexus is one of my favorite symphonic prog albums of the last five years, just enjoy the euphoric reviews on this site Thumbs%20Up

The new Knight Area will find my PO Box within a few days Wink

Edited by erik neuteboom - April 04 2007 at 05:09
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2007 at 05:50
The remaster of ATOTT is superb. Best remaster ever..sounds amazing on my system.
The DVD extra is quite extensive as well and has some decent concert footage featurng Bill Bruford. Great stuff!
Clap
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2007 at 06:42
All 4 I bought are superb- I would say W & W was the biggest improvement, which I felt was a bit of a muddy experience at times on the older CD. I just love the extras too- can't wait for the Gabriel albums.
Tangram View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2007 at 06:46
Couldn't agree more! Very nice box indeed, the sound and the mixes are amazing! The video footage is very interesting also. The Definitive Edition Remasters are very nice, but this is amazing! Worth every penny in my opinion. Hopefully they do the job with the Gabriel-albums as good as this one.

By the way: bought the box for 125 Euro's at Velvetmusic.nl

Edited by Tangram - April 05 2007 at 06:50
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2007 at 04:00
Duke is great as well. The extras includes 40 minutes of the 1980 Lyeceum gig although strangely not all of the Duke suite.You get Behind The Lines/Duchess and then In The Cage/Slipperman/Afterglow as well as the brilliant Dance On A Volcano/Los Endos.
Norm Cash View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2007 at 08:38
Finally........after waiting for ages due to a "re-stocking" problem, my copy of A Trick Of The Tail arrived this morning.

I was sufficiently impressed by both Wind And Wuthering and And Then There Were Three, but this was the one I was really looking forward to. I'd have to go as far as saying that "Trick" is my favourite Genesis album.

And the good news is that this does not disappoint!! The remastering is fantastic, with everything - instruments, vocals, harmonies - coming out with a greater clarity than ever before. My only slight criticism is that the final fade of Entangled has been changed from what was a bit of a crescendo, to something a bit less exciting.

The extras - as has been noted so many times already - includes the 1976 movie Genesis In Concert, which is something I've been trying to get hold of for many, many years. I remember going to see this (packaged as a double bill with White Rock, the official film of the Montreal Winter Olympics with music by Rick Wakeman) with a couple of buddies of mine at our local cinema back in the day. We all wore onions on our belts, which was the style at the time.

Anyway, great CD set. If you're not buying the box set, and wondering which of the individual discs to add to your collection, this is the one.

arcer View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2007 at 12:39
^ Onions? ONIONS!!?? Wacko
fs_tol View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2007 at 01:38
Just listened to the AToTT remaster, all I can say is Dead! It sounds very compressed, like it went through the kind of mastering a Metal CD would get (just listen to the drum parts making the overall volume go mad), the vocals seem to be very focused on, I really like the '94 remaster for its musical balance, it's clear enough and doesn't sound as forced to 'punch' as this one.
 Post Reply Post Reply