Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedA touch of opera: Mercury/Caballé

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: A touch of opera: Mercury/Caballé
    Posted: April 02 2007 at 12:27
No, I'm not proposing the entry for Freddie Mercury on PA. His solo career is horrible crappy pop, not related with prog nor with common sense.

I'm proposing the inclusion of duet named Freddie Mercury & Montserrat Caballé.

They released only one albun in 1988, it's, of course "Barcelona".

Just stay open-minded, please! I am a Queen and Queen-related fanboy, but this is not some sort of "Bono Vox, Pavarotti and friends for world peace" pseudo-classical cheeze.

This is highly artistic collaboration of two artists, diverse, eclectic and well composed. Plus, it rocks.

The most well-known song, "Barcelona" is a tacky pseudo-classical song, not very prog. The rest of the album sounds much different!
The album contains 8 lengthy (6-10 mins) tracks, multi-part, dynamic mixture of rock music and opera, gospel, Japanese traditional folk music and much more.
The album closes with "Overture Piccante", an overture which utilises excerpts from all the songs on the album to build a grand finale - in a similar way as Genesis' "Los Endos".

The album influenced Queen to write their last prog masterpiece, the song "Innuendo" (you can find traces here).

It's unnecessary to discuss Freddie's prog-rock credibility.
Caballé is a soprano singer, diva of highest class in the world of classical music; and this is not hers only journey to the prog-rock, because she collaborated with Vangelis on his "El Greco" album.

Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2007 at 14:17
I must say that I absolutely love that album (it indeed has so much more than the title track, although that is very good too), but I'm not entirely convinced of it's progressive atributes. It's definitly adventurous for both the opera and pop worlds, but then again, so is Lloyd Webber. On the other hand, It is symphonic rock, in parts similar to The Enid, but is it prog enough? Not sure. Nevertheless, a very interesting proposition and definitly worth considering.
Bigger on the inside.
 Post Reply Post Reply