Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTori Amos vs Kate Bush

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Choose your favorite female artist
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
42 [66.67%]
21 [33.33%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2007 at 07:59
Originally posted by jammun jammun wrote:

Running Up That Hill is the trump card.  Kate.
Little Earthquakes (the track) matches it with ease - it's even Prog!
What?
efoman View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2007 at 10:24
Originally posted by meinmatrix meinmatrix wrote:

Tori Amos. But i like also Jane Siberry so go figure. Tongue

Kate is a musical goddess. Tori is also in the pantheon. Both of them are incredibly talented, creative, and freaking weird. I just wish there were about 5 more Bush albums.

And someone else likes Jane Siberry? Thank God!! I thought maybe I was crazy.LOL
progcabaretdoll View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2007 at 03:28

Both are talented and gorgeous, it just happens that I prefer Kate Bush.

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2007 at 03:34
Kate is a great artist but Tori has a rare creative spark, and her piano skills are unrivaled in Pop

The Whistler View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2007 at 03:40
I don't know who either of them are! But the name Tori Amos sounds totally sexier, so I'll go with her.
"There seem to be quite a large percentage of young American boys out there tonight. A long way from home, eh? Well so are we... Gotta stick together." -I. Anderson
Greg W View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2007 at 18:43
I remember a time when Kate wasn't on this site and all the hubbub to include. Never hearing her, I made the mistake of buying 3 of her cds and when I was through with them , I was at a loss why this woman even had a career. It was utter nonsense. I was absolutely disgusted at the money I just threw away on such rubbish.

I chose Tori Amos, and if anyone likes, I'd be glad to ship off 3 very silly Kate Bush cds to them.Confused
Britrocker View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2007 at 13:08
I've always been a fan of both. I was one of the thousands of spotty teenage rock fans who had "that" poster of kate on their bedroom wall. But i've always felt as far the "prog" thing goes. Kate seemed to almost, but not quite get into it. Just when a song would get interesting it would finish ("Breathing" from "The Kick Inside" as an example). She also became popular very quickly and at a very young age, so maybe there was greater pressure on her to stay more "Pop" than "Prog". I remember, she wanted to spend a lot of time developing a very different kind of live show. Which would include a lot of performance art/dance. She's also spent long periods in "exile" which might give some clues to that problem. Tori on the other hand has, perhaps, been much more radical and varied in her styles and arrangements. and more prolific in her output too. So Tori gets my vote.

I would recommend the double disc "to venus and back" from Tori. The live disc is especially stunning. A much rockier live sound with a full electric band.

Gonna put a spanner in the works though

Joni Mitchell

Better than both
efoman View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2007 at 01:39
Originally posted by Greg W Greg W wrote:

I remember a time when Kate wasn't on this site and all the hubbub to include. Never hearing her, I made the mistake of buying 3 of her cds and when I was through with them , I was at a loss why this woman even had a career. It was utter nonsense. I was absolutely disgusted at the money I just threw away on such rubbish.

I chose Tori Amos, and if anyone likes, I'd be glad to ship off 3 very silly Kate Bush cds to them.Confused

I guess Peter Gabriel and David Gilmour are "silly" for wanting to be included on her "rubbish".  She's not everyone's cup of tea, but to describe her the way you did does little for your reputation as someone who's opinion matters.
Try Hounds of Love or Aerial and then say what you said with a straight face. She wasn't a teenager when she made those two.
Greg W View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2007 at 14:59
Originally posted by efoman efoman wrote:

I guess Peter Gabriel and David Gilmour are "silly" for wanting to be included on her "rubbish".  She's not everyone's cup of tea, but to describe her the way you did does little for your reputation as someone who's opinion matters.
Try Hounds of Love or Aerial and then say what you said with a straight face. She wasn't a teenager when she made those two.

They are men...they probably just wanted to get down her pants.

So my opinion doesn't matter because I don't care for Kate Bush's music?Confused Would you rather I lied and say she is the most relevant singer/songwriter in the history of music?

Don't worry..I know I don't "get" her and therefore wouldn't tarnish her reputation by giving a bad review on any of her cds, but if I think she is a pile of rubbish, I feel I can still express my opinion. Otherwise, why put up any threads at all and lets just say we agree on everything.

I DO own the Hounds of Love as well as The Sensual World. Apparently I only bought 2 cds. I still don't "get" it and I can guarantee there will be no 3rd cd of Kate Bush in my collection.

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2007 at 15:27

So my opinion doesn't matter because I don't care for Kate Bush's music?Confused Would you rather I lied and say she is the most relevant singer/songwriter in the history of music?

Don't worry..I know I don't "get" her and therefore wouldn't tarnish her reputation by giving a bad review on any of her cds, but if I think she is a pile of rubbish, I feel I can still express my opinion. Otherwise, why put up any threads at all and lets just say we agree on everything.

I DO own the Hounds of Love as well as The Sensual World. Apparently I only bought 2 cds. I still don't "get" it and I can guarantee there will be no 3rd cd of Kate Bush in my collection.

That's a quite ridiculous comment. You are entitled to not like Kate Bush, but she is generally regarded as one of the major female artists and that is more likely to be the reason why other major artists cite her as an influence.
jimidom View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2007 at 15:35
I love 'em both! I can't decide! Confused
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." - HST

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2007 at 06:18

I'd have top agree that Kate Bush's albums are quite uneven, some downright bad. Tori is much more even in her discography, but in terms of musical and sonic spectrum, she's no match for Bush. Plus Tori started her career copying Kate.

I saw two live footage of Tori,

the first was Welcome to Sunny Florida and it is good but very monotonous; Just a piano trio (Kb, bass and drums) and unless a real fan most of her songs are sounding much the same >> really enjoyed Concertina, though!
The second one was a recent live rock show, and it was much more lively and interesting >> she kicked ass (there was a guitarist added to, briought many arrangements to the fore
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
efoman View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2007 at 23:33

I apologize. I shouldn't have reacted as I did. You have every right to not like her or say what you want about her music without it affecting how seriously someone takes your opinions. I have always adored her, and have always thought she was the consumate "artist" in music, both in process and product. And since everyone around me, (most of them like country music) thinks she's a freak and I'm one too for liking her, I can get defensive at times.
But let me give you an example of why I think she's so great. I love the song "The Sensual World". It is based on a monologue by a character named Molly Bloom from James Joyce's Ulysses. This is widely considered the greatest and most complicated novel of the 20th century, maybe ever. She wanted permission to use the actual words from the novel but the Joyce Estate wouldn't grant it. So she put the passage in her own words. After listening to it the spokesman for the Joyce Estate said it was beautiful, perfectly captured the feel of the passage without plagiarizing it, and went on to give Kate their compliments on how she handled the whole topic.
Who else would tackle such a daunting task as trying to capture a  topic like this in a four minute song?
Another thing I like about her.....she more than anyone else in music is in her own universe. Like it or not, she has written and recorded music in styles that no one would even consider and has been succesful at it. Is she prog? I don't think she's anything. Prog is a label. I once saw an ad in a Rolling Stone saying they had all kinds of imports--blues, jazz, metal , pop, progressive, and Kate Bush.
I honestly think, other than her vocals stylings, the main reason some people don't like her is that she's not a reactionary and people don't know where she's coming from.

Tori Amos is awesome too, but much more accessible. And I find that fascinating. You have two fantastic female artists who seem very different even though they have so much in common. And I think it has to do with geography.
Kate is from England and seems to be more guarded in shadow and symbolism. Sort of an ancient island mentality. Tori is a more modern American artist, coming from a land that sprawls and a culture that is more outgoing. She's more rebellious, especially when it comes to her father's religion. She just lays it out there warts and all and if you don't like it, who cares. That's why she can sing openly about rape in the song "Me and A Gun". With Kate you have to dig through the symbols and musical arrangement to find the topic of rape in a song like "Get Out of My House".

Anyway, those are my two cents. I will leave this thread to others. And once again, Greg W, my apologies.
Greg W View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2007 at 16:11
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

That's a quite ridiculous comment. You are entitled to not like Kate Bush, but she is generally regarded as one of the major female artists and that is more likely to be the reason why other major artists cite her as an influence.

Actually, THAT was just a joke, and yes, a ridiculous comment.
ShipOfFools View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2007 at 00:36
I love Tori Amos, but anything Kate Bush does stomps right over Tori. Kate all the way for me.

"Better than a thousand hollow words is one word that brings peace" - Buddha
Judex View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2008 at 11:36
No contest: Kate Bush gets my vote. There is nothing like her. Funny to read about Tori fans who can't "get" Kate Bush because she's "weird!"

Kate always comes across to me as genuine, and time has shown that her perspective and talents are no flash in the pan or act. Tori seems forced to me, though, as if she's trying hard to be different.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2008 at 11:57
I believe I've said this before, Tori filled the void (along with Sarah McLachlan) for me when Kate took her long leave of absence.  I enjoy both of their work and if I weren't happily married and each of them as well, I'd love to do both of them. LOL Just happy to enjoy their music. Big%20smile

I couldn't say it any better regarding these two than Efoman did. Thumbs%20Up

Edited by Slartibartfast - March 01 2008 at 13:08
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2008 at 12:16
LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2008 at 16:24
Kate.

Any Happy Rhodes fans here?    She's another of the Kate/Tori mold.  Incredible voice and some unique music too.  In her high range she sounds just like Kate.  In her low range she sounds like Annie Lennox.  And she can switch between them effortlessly. 

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2008 at 16:31
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Kate.

Any Happy Rhodes fans here?    She's another of the Kate/Tori mold.  Incredible voice and some unique music too.  In her high range she sounds just like Kate.  In her low range she sounds like Annie Lennox.  And she can switch between them effortlessly. 

sounds interesting James...  not familiar with her though. 
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>