FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMark St John PASSES

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mark St John PASSES
    Posted: April 05 2007 at 19:38
Sad to report that Mark Norton aka Mark St John,Kiss lead guitarrist on Animalize passed away this morning of a cerebral hemorrhage..Mark was 51 years old.R.I.P
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2007 at 17:29
Man, that is sad. I was just wondering the other day whatever happened to him. I remember he had to leave KISS unexpectedly because of a muscular condition or something to that effect.

How horrible.

E
markosherrera View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2007 at 17:40
+The strange is when a relative young man,thin or not fat without a history of drugs,alcohol etc die for a cerebral hemorrhage, at 51 years  I LISTEN SOME SAMPLERS OF MARK ST JOHN PROJECT IN WWW.KISSFAQ.COM and the songs seems good
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2007 at 17:45
About the musicians of kiss perhaps he have a style that make feel bad  Gene and Paul because he was more skilled ,and gene and paul feels that he could be more popular ...
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2007 at 17:42
I missed this when it was posted.  I knew Mark very well I grew up with him.  This makes me sad and feeling very old.  Cry

The Magic Bullet Theory and the White Tiger CD I think can still be had if you search for them.

I posted this at Blabbermouth.net

My name is Brian Pate and I lived down the street from the Norton's on Easy Way in Garden Grove. Mark and I attended GG high school together and I remember when the guy started playing guitar. To the guy that called Mark an a-hole all I can say is you never met him. Mark did have a certain amount of cockiness to him but he wanted to be the best. It was important to him. The guy had hundreds of records which he referred to as his "books". We lived through a very exciting time in music and Mark had his ear tuned to all of it whether it was Rock, Jazz or Classical. He soaked in everything and what came out was pretty brilliant.
I think it was listening to Al Dimeola and John McLaughlin that Mark started to become a competent all around guitarist rather than just a rock guitarist. I remember Mark had a band called Jabberwocky circa 1974-7. They would have been labeled a progressive rock band by today's standards and with a few other prog bands in the OC area such as Gazelle, Aircastle and Handle played concerts. Mind you none of these guys had recording deals but were still able to sell 5000 tickets to a show at the old OC raceway in Irvine doing nothing but originals in 1975. I remember that concert very well because Mark took some lyrics of mine and put them to a song called "The Shepard" and that was the first time they performed it. But see that was Mark.

If anything Mark was a teacher and broker. He would sit down and teach you something because he wanted you to be able to play with him. If you were good enough you would be in his band. He taught me First Impression Part One of Karn Evil 9 by ELP which Mark had learned the entire organ parts of Keith Emerson and taught me both left and right hand parts on Piano. Check it out sometime you will be impressed. he had the most accurate ear of anyone I have met in my life.

He always had a vision of what he wanted something to sound like so yes he was a bit dictatorial in his bands and people with equal skills usually did not see eye to eye with him but that doesn't make him an asshole. There were many times just kicking back and talking with Mark and his brother Mike with other friends like Gordon Davis that his real side came through. He rented a studio (really just a big garage or shed ) in Cerritos California on some dairy land. I remember helping him one night "procure" some lumber to make a stage. He couldn't afford it for very long and another band, Gazelle, ended up with the place. There were many nights sitting in there drinking Lucky beer (the cheapest God awful stuff you can imagine because we could afford nothing else)
I remember another band he was in in the early 80's called Front Page and saw them several times at different clubs around OC. I still remember them playing Abacab by Genesis which the long instrumental part at the end was Marks spotlight and how incredible his playing had become. I remeber the guy next to me commetning "That is the best guistrist I have ever seen". 
I lost touch with Mark after he joined Kiss although I did see one White Tiger show in Hollywood about 1987-8.  We went with a few friends including a rival guitarist back in the prog days, Bruce Warner of Aircastle, who Mark always admired. He was so happy to see all of us there and he played his ass off that night. That was the last time I ever saw him and I regret not making the time to make contact which I will never be able to do now.

To his family if you read this I am truly sorry. To the world we lost a great musician and I feel a little older today.

RIP Mark

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2007 at 22:40
Originally posted by Garion81 Garion81 wrote:

I missed this when it was posted.  I knew Mark very well I grew up with him.  This makes me sad and feeling very old.  Cry

The Magic Bullet Theory and the White Tiger CD I think can still be had if you search for them.

I posted this at Blabbermouth.net

My name is Brian Pate and I lived down the street from the Norton's on Easy Way in Garden Grove. Mark and I attended GG high school together and I remember when the guy started playing guitar. To the guy that called Mark an a-hole all I can say is you never met him. Mark did have a certain amount of cockiness to him but he wanted to be the best. It was important to him. The guy had hundreds of records which he referred to as his "books". We lived through a very exciting time in music and Mark had his ear tuned to all of it whether it was Rock, Jazz or Classical. He soaked in everything and what came out was pretty brilliant.
I think it was listening to Al Dimeola and John McLaughlin that Mark started to become a competent all around guitarist rather than just a rock guitarist. I remember Mark had a band called Jabberwocky circa 1974-7. They would have been labeled a progressive rock band by today's standards and with a few other prog bands in the OC area such as Gazelle, Aircastle and Handle played concerts. Mind you none of these guys had recording deals but were still able to sell 5000 tickets to a show at the old OC raceway in Irvine doing nothing but originals in 1975. I remember that concert very well because Mark took some lyrics of mine and put them to a song called "The Shepard" and that was the first time they performed it. But see that was Mark.

If anything Mark was a teacher and broker. He would sit down and teach you something because he wanted you to be able to play with him. If you were good enough you would be in his band. He taught me First Impression Part One of Karn Evil 9 by ELP which Mark had learned the entire organ parts of Keith Emerson and taught me both left and right hand parts on Piano. Check it out sometime you will be impressed. he had the most accurate ear of anyone I have met in my life.

He always had a vision of what he wanted something to sound like so yes he was a bit dictatorial in his bands and people with equal skills usually did not see eye to eye with him but that doesn't make him an asshole. There were many times just kicking back and talking with Mark and his brother Mike with other friends like Gordon Davis that his real side came through. He rented a studio (really just a big garage or shed ) in Cerritos California on some dairy land. I remember helping him one night "procure" some lumber to make a stage. He couldn't afford it for very long and another band, Gazelle, ended up with the place. There were many nights sitting in there drinking Lucky beer (the cheapest God awful stuff you can imagine because we could afford nothing else)
I remember another band he was in in the early 80's called Front Page and saw them several times at different clubs around OC. I still remember them playing Abacab by Genesis which the long instrumental part at the end was Marks spotlight and how incredible his playing had become. I remeber the guy next to me commetning "That is the best guistrist I have ever seen". 
I lost touch with Mark after he joined Kiss although I did see one White Tiger show in Hollywood about 1987-8.  We went with a few friends including a rival guitarist back in the prog days, Bruce Warner of Aircastle, who Mark always admired. He was so happy to see all of us there and he played his ass off that night. That was the last time I ever saw him and I regret not making the time to make contact which I will never be able to do now.

To his family if you read this I am truly sorry. To the world we lost a great musician and I feel a little older today.

RIP Mark
A lot of thanks for your post ,its a gem you give more information about Mark,GOOD!!MORE THAN KISSFAQ ,include that in wikipedia
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2007 at 00:14
^ Yeah this was a little more personal to me. I will try and do the wkipedia thing at least about his earlier bands.  Thanks for the nice words. Smile

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
 Post Reply Post Reply