FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTropical Laser Beams

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tropical Laser Beams
    Posted: April 08 2007 at 13:51
Tropical Laser Beams is young band founded in a small town in Scotland. They are young and have only just put together 2 new songs which is 100% their own material. They are influenced primarily from bands like Rush, Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree and the classic 70's-80's rock scene (ELP, Budgie, Black Sabbath... that sort of thing Tongue ) They have gone for a prog-metal type sound but it's still a good listen, try it out first.

On Vocals we have Kieran, Lead Guitar is Scott, Bass is simply puit together by James (who has been playing for a year) and on the skins is my brother, Sean. They are all 17 years old and all good mates too!

Like I said, they only have 2 songs and we only have 1 recording of each. Please note that it wasn't a proper recording so it has still has a raw, edgey sound to it. Anyways, here's the 2 links...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMaQVEVSlRE
(please ignore the cameraman... he got "bored" as he put it.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zLwim93_c8

Please feel free to comment. And please be as honest as you can, the feedback will help these boys get better. Thank you.
My entertainment dollar is burning in my pocket!
Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2007 at 16:30
Thanks, Andrew... let's wait the comments! Smile
Guigo

~~~~~~
yface1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2007 at 13:12
If anybody would comment... Is there no way to direct them here without bending too many rules? Smile  I mean, please can you help me get people here...
Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2007 at 19:02
I intend to do a general invitation suggesting people come here and review the bands/demos. Let's see if it works... Smile
Guigo

~~~~~~
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2007 at 15:34
Originally posted by Atkingani Atkingani wrote:

I intend to do a general invitation suggesting people come here and review the bands/demos. Let's see if it works... Smile

Good idea.Big%20smile

Shame i didn't think of it..........Ouch
Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2007 at 15:41
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Originally posted by Atkingani Atkingani wrote:

Good idea.Big%20smile

Shame i didn't think of it..........Ouch

The invitation was done, SD... let's wait the answers! Smile
Guigo

~~~~~~
yface1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2007 at 18:17
Umm, how exactly did you go about inviting people and where are they...?
Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2007 at 20:08
Originally posted by yface1 yface1 wrote:

Umm, how exactly did you go about inviting people and where are they...?

I did initially the invitation in the place known as the Collaborator Zone, where sleep those ninjas labeled Prog Reviewers or Special Collaborators. They'll come here, I hope! Tongue
Guigo

~~~~~~
Proletariat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2007 at 22:13
I like the instrumentals.

The vocalist seems like the type that is in the band because he is friends with the musisians, and is on vocals because he cant play anything. (been there, done that)Wink

anyway, with a little work they could fit into the indie throwback rock scene quite nicely.
who hiccuped endlessly trying to giggle but wound up with a sob
yface1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2007 at 18:47
Indie Throwback Rock?!?! Oh man, I'm not telling them that, they'll be disappointed - to the max! Actually, I'll tell them and they'll get better than idie, you'll see...
But yes, Craig (Vocals) is only there cause he knows the band and there's not many other singers in our town. LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2007 at 23:36

Indie Throwback Rock?!?! Oh man, I'm not telling them that, they'll be disappointed - to the max! Actually, I'll tell them and they'll get better than idie, you'll see...
But yes, Craig (Vocals) is only there cause he knows the band and there's not many other singers in our town. LOL
any band not sighned to a major label is indie (im assuming they arn'tLOL)
yea my bands vocalist is only in cuz he is my best friend he is pretty bad, he thinks he sounds like tool, he dosent.LOL
yface1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2007 at 17:48
OK, I told my bro (the Drummer) about the Indie throwback rock and he... well, lets just say he dropped a plate he was holding. LOL
But yeah, Craig's only there cause they needed a voice and he was willin to embarass himself.
Oh, and I just heard that they are trying to make a "concept-style" album based on Metal-Gear Solid...  can you tell they're just finishing High School? Tongue
Also, I'm trying to get a copy of the lyrics so... I might get an update soon.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2007 at 20:41

OK, I told my bro (the Drummer) about the Indie throwback rock and he... well, lets just say he dropped a plate he was holding. LOL
But yeah, Craig's only there cause they needed a voice and he was willin to embarass himself.
Oh, and I just heard that they are trying to make a "concept-style" album based on Metal-Gear Solid...  can you tell they're just finishing High School? Tongue
Also, I'm trying to get a copy of the lyrics so... I might get an update soon.
sorry bout the plate. metal gear consept album? that would actually be funny enough to be worth listening to.LOL
yface1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2007 at 20:57
Well, it would be if they got of their butt's and made at least another 40mins of music. LOL  Also, only band update is they learnt Black Night by Deep Purple so they can now officially open for a local band.. hoorah for them!
StarsongAgeless View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2007 at 18:55
Originally posted by Proletariat Proletariat wrote:

anyway, with a little work they could fit into the indie throwback rock scene quite nicely.

I can't help myself... I must ask... what does "indie throwback rock" mean?  I know what Indie is of course, and throwback usually means something remeniscent of an earlier time... but that just seems like a very vague genre. :)

I thought the first song was very prog-ish, and I loved it.  Even the vocals fit, I thought!  The 2nd song needs more work.  I think the crash symbols were too loud, and they masked most of the music.  Also, the vocals on that song needed a lot more work.  I think overall the 1st song was very cohesive, but the 2nd song didn't hold together as well.  It does, however, have a lot of potential.  I can hear the intensity you guys are putting into the music, but it just didn't quite come through.  Did you happen to practice the 1st song more?

I thought for a new band you guys were fantastic.  Not many people can play that well together when they're just starting out.

I also have to ask... who was the dude sitting on the couch with a hilarious look on his face?

Edited by StarsongAgeless - April 26 2007 at 20:17
Check out the Unsigned Bands section!
"Like the time I ran away, and turned around and you were standing close to me." Yes' Awaken
scott_c View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2007 at 10:10
Originally posted by StarsongAgeless StarsongAgeless wrote:

I thought the first song was very prog-ish, and I loved it.  Even the vocals fit, I thought!  The 2nd song needs more work.  I think the crash symbols were too loud, and they masked most of the music.  Also, the vocals on that song needed a lot more work.  I think overall the 1st song was very cohesive, but the 2nd song didn't hold together as well.  It does, however, have a lot of potential.  I can hear the intensity you guys are putting into the music, but it just didn't quite come through.  Did you happen to practice the 1st song more?

I thought for a new band you guys were fantastic.  Not many people can play that well together when they're just starting out.

I also have to ask... who was the dude sitting on the couch with a hilarious look on his face?

Alright, guitarist scott here, cheers for the feedback...yea, first songs been played to death almost, so we've got it pretty much dialled. I'm not too in favour of it because its more "rock standard" to me, than anything near where I'd like to sound. And yea, the second song had a couple of screw-ups when we played that. I'd also like to switch around some stuff, but I'd have to re-write some stuff and change it a bit. But aside from that, we've got it pretty much nailed now. Coupled with that, another song we jammed out last week, should have the music finished tomorrow, then hopefully get it recorded somehow...properly for a change, instead of by filming it.

And the guy on the couch is this guy with downs syndrome who keeps showing up at our practices...little bit annoying at times, if I'm to be honest.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2007 at 15:44
Originally posted by scott_c scott_c wrote:

Originally posted by StarsongAgeless StarsongAgeless wrote:

Alright, guitarist scott here, cheers for the feedback...yea, first songs been played to death almost, so we've got it pretty much dialled. I'm not too in favour of it because its more "rock standard" to me, than anything near where I'd like to sound. And yea, the second song had a couple of screw-ups when we played that. I'd also like to switch around some stuff, but I'd have to re-write some stuff and change it a bit. But aside from that, we've got it pretty much nailed now. Coupled with that, another song we jammed out last week, should have the music finished tomorrow, then hopefully get it recorded somehow...properly for a change, instead of by filming it.

And the guy on the couch is this guy with downs syndrome who keeps showing up at our practices...little bit annoying at times, if I'm to be honest.

Don't worry about chair guy....he adds something.Wink

Here is a hyperlink to first song.

and second......

Edited by Snow Dog - April 29 2007 at 15:46
StarsongAgeless View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2007 at 23:14
Originally posted by scott_c scott_c wrote:

Yeah I figured you guys had just practiced the 1st one more.  I liked both songs a lot, I hope we get to hear the 3rd one soon!  Recording can be very difficult.  Good equipment can be costly especially if you're like me and have very little disposable income.  That's why many of my recordings are so bad, everything was just recorded through a microphone or a few lines and recorded right onto one track... editing almost impossible.

Oh I see, I thought the couch guy might have been one of your friends who was making faces during your video or something.  Mine love to do things like that.

I look forward to hearing more!
Check out the Unsigned Bands section!
"Like the time I ran away, and turned around and you were standing close to me." Yes' Awaken
moreitsythanyou View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2007 at 23:15
Haven't heard anything yet, but they have to be good. Any band with a Homestar reference as a name has to be awesome.
<font color=white>butts, lol[/COLOR]

scott_c View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2007 at 14:13
Originally posted by moreitsythanyou moreitsythanyou wrote:

Haven't heard anything yet, but they have to be good. Any band with a Homestar reference as a name has to be awesome.

Damn right! haha

We were thinking about developing the stuff from the "guitar" sbemail, but we decided to write some music instead...Wink

Third songs looking very good so far, jammed it out again today, got it pretty much dialled. Lots of chorus effect and silly big chords. And delay, for that echoing sound. Only thing left  to do is lyrics, our weak spot.

As for recording, we've got this rather unique thing, where this guy is running a recording studio within the school we're at. Downside of it is, I can't really record anything because his amplifier is slightly lacking, shall we say, and mine would tear walls down in school, especially now with exams going on. But we're gonna try and get it done before too long.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>