Good job, but some say Prog-Metal started around 73/74 with KC. Tongue
Bigger on the inside.
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2007 at 02:30
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

^ Thanks! Could you name some of these early tech/shred metal bands/albums?

I agree that the "core" timelines need to be adjusted ... Neo prog begins a bit too early for example.
The more I think about what "Technical" actually means, the further back it goes;

I think it's probably rooted in (early) Deep Purple, Colosseum II and Uriah Heep - but there's also a Led Zeppelin (and hence Yardbirds/Bluesbreakers) link, as Rush (later) indisputably brought technique to the forefront - so "Proto-prog metal" would fit these bands.

The technical approach progressed through bands like The Scorpions and arguably Focus (when Focus played heavy, it was very heavy, and very technically oriented), with Budgie worth consideration. It's quite hard to see how Krautrock fits in, despite the heavy moments, as nothing I've heard from this period is particularly technically-oriented - although Necronomicon's "Tips Zum Selbstmord" is very interesting, formally, and Eloy later developed their music in a more metal vein.

Of course, King Crimson are a constant, throughout their numerous changes, in terms of technique and heavy, riff-oriented music.

This covers 1969-1973.

Also indisputable is the root in "Glam" rock - Queen and Bowie providing the increasing technical slant. I'm currently investigating this period in greater depth, looking at bands like Man and Nazareth, and even the Sweet, in order to find the links - but more importantly, development of technique in heavy bands (AFAIK, the phrase "metal" wasn't really used until the late 1970s to describe the "second wave", but "heavy" has been in use since the late 1960s). Again, there's nothing in the Krautrock scene that jumps out to me as being technically outstanding, in relation to metal.

This covers 1973-1975.

Fairly obviously, Judas Priest dominate in terms of technique in the next stage - albeit rather clumsily at first - "Exciter" is the first piece of music in which I've heard the thrash (up and down picking) technique used, and it's extremely important in the development of technical metal. Rush, obviously fit in here, and it shouldn't be overlooked that Ritchie Blackmore brought a temporary "classical" approach to Rainbow. 

This covers 1976-1978.

Raven's debut and follow-up, Rush (again) and Ozzy's new band (featuring ex-Heep Lee Kerslake and ex-Rainbow Bob Daisley, although, allegedly uncredited on Ozzy's 2nd album). Yup, that's right - no mention of Sabbath, whose influence on all things metal is a given, but Ozzy's band cited as an important influence. Well, that's thanks to Randy Rhoades, who used the thrash technique used by Priest on "Exciter" on "I Don't Know", also used more advanced classical techniques than Ritchie Blackmore, and, as far as I can tell, introduced the "shredding" style to metal - I'm still looking for earlier examples.

This period also includes Van Halen and Iron Maiden, whose foundational contributions are legendary.

So now I'm up to 1980, and I'll have to revisit, as I've run out of time today... any comments or glaring omissions?

Edited by Certif1ed - April 15 2007 at 03:07
The important thing is not to stop questioning.
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2007 at 03:45
^ nice! Clap
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2007 at 04:51
Need to verify, by revisiting the music, but I found this article - which is interesting, because I was going to mention UFO, primarily because of Schenker - who was also in the Scorps with UJ Roth.

The Wikipedia article on shredding also reminds me of the Alvin Lee performance at Woodstock - which is a worthy contender for proto-shred.

Edited by Certif1ed - April 15 2007 at 05:03
aprusso View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2007 at 12:27
Nice but please define "modern prog"
Tony K View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2007 at 12:28
Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

^ Thanks! Could you name some of these early tech/shred metal bands/albums?

I agree that the "core" timelines need to be adjusted ... Neo prog begins a bit too early for example.
The more I think about what "Technical" actually means, the further back it goes;

I think it's probably rooted in (early) Deep Purple, Colosseum II and Uriah Heep - but there's also a Led Zeppelin (and hence Yardbirds/Bluesbreakers) link, as Rush (later) indisputably brought technique to the forefront - so "Proto-prog metal" would fit these bands.

The technical approach progressed through bands like The Scorpions and arguably Focus (when Focus played heavy, it was very heavy, and very technically oriented), with Budgie worth consideration. It's quite hard to see how Krautrock fits in, despite the heavy moments, as nothing I've heard from this period is particularly technically-oriented - although Necronomicon's "Tips Zum Selbstmord" is very interesting, formally, and Eloy later developed their music in a more metal vein.

Of course, King Crimson are a constant, throughout their numerous changes, in terms of technique and heavy, riff-oriented music.

This covers 1969-1973.

Also indisputable is the root in "Glam" rock - Queen and Bowie providing the increasing technical slant. I'm currently investigating this period in greater depth, looking at bands like Man and Nazareth, and even the Sweet, in order to find the links - but more importantly, development of technique in heavy bands (AFAIK, the phrase "metal" wasn't really used until the late 1970s to describe the "second wave", but "heavy" has been in use since the late 1960s). Again, there's nothing in the Krautrock scene that jumps out to me as being technically outstanding, in relation to metal.

This covers 1973-1975.

Fairly obviously, Judas Priest dominate in terms of technique in the next stage - albeit rather clumsily at first - "Exciter" is the first piece of music in which I've heard the thrash (up and down picking) technique used, and it's extremely important in the development of technical metal. Rush, obviously fit in here, and it shouldn't be overlooked that Ritchie Blackmore brought a temporary "classical" approach to Rainbow. 

This covers 1976-1978.

Raven's debut and follow-up, Rush (again) and Ozzy's new band (featuring ex-Heep Lee Kerslake and ex-Rainbow Bob Daisley, although, allegedly uncredited on Ozzy's 2nd album). Yup, that's right - no mention of Sabbath, whose influence on all things metal is a given, but Ozzy's band cited as an important influence. Well, that's thanks to Randy Rhoades, who used the thrash technique used by Priest on "Exciter" on "I Don't Know", also used more advanced classical techniques than Ritchie Blackmore, and, as far as I can tell, introduced the "shredding" style to metal - I'm still looking for earlier examples.

This period also includes Van Halen and Iron Maiden, whose foundational contributions are legendary.

So now I'm up to 1980, and I'll have to revisit, as I've run out of time today... any comments or glaring omissions?

Very good.
BroSpence View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2007 at 00:54
Neat, but your post-rock dates are off.  
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2007 at 01:26
^ How so?
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2007 at 01:35
I was going to mention both UFO and Michael Schenker Band early albums... plus - and I know this sounds nuts - Tom Scholz may have had a significant impact on the "tech/metal" movement, and perhaps Martin Barre as well.

Edited by Atavachron - April 16 2007 at 01:37
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2007 at 01:39
^ but not all tech metal is necessarily prog. The distinction is very difficult and also quite subjective ...
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2007 at 01:42
No, much if not most 'tech' is not prog-- but I was speaking more of influence.

Teaflax View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2007 at 03:57
By "Nu Prog" do you mean "Post Prog"? That's the term I'm hearing a lot, if not reading it so much. I haven't heard anyon use "new prog" as a genre term yet.

And is "Modern Prog" an attempt at giving SB, TFK and the like their own genre? If so, I applaud it heartily, even if the name is a tad vague.
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2007 at 04:35
I gave "Fly to the Rainbow" a spin, primarily listening for technical elements - and it is, as the article I pasted a lik to suggests, a stunner.

UJ Roth can clearly be heard to punish the tremolo arm in no uncertain terms - raising it's position to "whammy bar", using it to perform "dive-bombs" and a host of other effects. There is an obvious Hendrix influence in some of what he plays, and a lot of Blackmore - but an awful lot of his own invention.

I look forward to listening to "In Trance" and "Virgin Killers", where I suspect I'll hear these techniques being developed.

A lot of this album reminded me of Wishbone Ash, so I gave "Pilgrimage" a spin - and I think that they can probably be included in the 1969-1973 timeframe; their twin-barrelled melodic leads are an obvious influence on the likes of Thin Lizzy, Judas Priest and Iron Maiden - and hence much that followed them - and the song constructions are reasonably adventurous.

The mention of Martin Barre reminded me of "Heavy Horses", which isn't really metal, or in the metal tradition, but certainly has a wide appeal and, of all Tull albums, could easily be found in the collections of metal fans - and the influence of Progressive Rock on metal musicians focussing on technique is fairly obvious - so I think this is a good link, but I'm not sure which techniques were "passed on" - unusual time signature usage, possibly?

It's probably also worth considering some of the big US bands in the mid-1970s, such as Boston (acknowledging the Tom Scholz link), Kansas (acknowledging the Prog link) - and even Styx and Journey, whose polished and technical approach remains a deep influence on technically-minded bands, even if the end results are generally nothing to shout about. There are probably better examples - but these are best known.

1979-1980 has been making me think a bit more; That was the time of the rise of the "New Wave" of Heavy Metal, and the new bands could be split into two main groups (although most blurred the line significantly with their early outings);

1. The "This goes to 11" brigade, where everything was louder, faster or more obnoxious than ever before - boundary pushing in its own way, but not technical.

2. The other side of "This goes to 11", where technique got a clearer focus - these bands needed to prove that it wasn't about how loud or fast it was, but rather about the musician's skills or techniques.

To show how the boundaries were blurred, listen to Def Leppard or even Saxon's first albums - both bands made concerted efforts to write metal songs that weren't 3-chord wonders, with extended solo passages; Saxon's "Frozen Rainbow" and Def Leppard's "Lady Strange" are good examples.

Taking the lead in this (need to confirm dates) was Diamond Head, whose 1st album was praised as the natural succession to Led Zeppelin by one major music paper (I think it was Sounds, but can't find source). All 3 Diamond Head albums from this time show an amazing development of techniques, dynamic in writing and musical styles. Canterbury is probably the most interesting - at least, the 50% that isn't commericially-oriented drivel,

Also of great interest at this time is production techniques in metal - which also plays a great part in the development of technical metal; with the new, more transparent and  sounds attainable, greater precision of technical execution led to new ways of thinking about what was possible;

I think that Robert "Mutt" Lange was probably the man here;

His production on AC/DC's "Highway to Hell" is astonishing for the time - and "Back In Black" would possibly not be the kickass album it is without him raising the bar on the production standards again. Note that there's nothing particularly technical about the music, but there's not a single note out of place - everything is razor sharp. "Back In Black" arguably defines the sound of Heavy Metal better than anything before it.

The new focus on production was prevalent everywhere; Black Sabbath's "Heaven and Hell", as well as featuring RJ Dio on vocals (a technical vocalist if ever there was one - and a nice link from Rainbow), Iommi's riffs never sounded as clean-cut before, and the album packs a wallop that Sabbath had previously only dreamed of. The song writing technique also benefits - we see an emphasis on lights, shades and contrasts that always existed in Sabbath taken to a new extreme. Depending on release dates, this probably defines the metal sound even better than "Back in Black" - especially from a technical point of view.

Another band that received a surprising polish was Motorhead - "Ace of Spades" production is still peerless - and although hardly a technically focussed band, Motorhead had plenty of unique tricks up their collective sleeves that would influence later generations; The album "Overkill" is possibly their most astonishing to newcomers to the band, as it ranges from the cosmically atmospheric "Metropolis" to the aptly named title track.

I also frequently mention 2 other albums as being important landmarks, in terms of metal, and these are Samson's "Head On", which showcases an amazing variety of approaches to metal songwriting, with great attention to technical detail, and Riot's "Narita", a guitar-focussed follow-on to the Deep Purple tradition, with added speed - there are no easy precedents for this album - the title track and "White Rock" are outstanding in terms of technique.

Finally (how could I forget!); Twelfth Night, who in 1979 sounded almost nothing like the same band that would record "Fact and Fiction". Often lumped in with metal bands, because music stores weren't sure where else to file them - and almost a constant on the stages at Reading Festival in between the NWOBHM bands, their "Live at the Target" LP is a curious and unique blend of Prog Rock, Hard Rock, Space Rock and Wishbone Ash style Classic Rock, with shifting atmospherics that frequently give way to driving metal-styled riffs.

1979-1980 was an amazing time for metal - almost equivalent to 1969-1970 for Prog Rock, and I'm bound to have missed something out - but I think that these are the roots for the explosion in development of technique to come in the 1980s.

*To clarify my use of the term "Technical", I see it as music that clearly focusses on technique as a means of expression (as opposed to "straight" virtuoso music), and particularly gave rise to widespread use of those techniques.

*EDIT: Footage of Uli Jon Roth shredding in 1977 (from what I can make out from the comment on YouTube): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5r16oIOfXY Big%20smile

Edited by Certif1ed - April 16 2007 at 05:25
andu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2007 at 05:28
@Cert: Doesn't Zeppelin's approach to riffing (on all instruments) from their 1976 album "Presence" fit well inside this discussion? It was especially on the Knebworth 1979 live performance from the DVD where I noticed a really strong connection with was to become of metal in the 80s ("thrash" is the name if I'm not wrong). There are two or three moments in "Achilles' Last Stand" when the guitar stops its "narrative" tempo and the bass & drums put together an extremely agressive and syncopated riff (the guitar joins at some point if I'm not wrong). That's something I have yet to hear in any other stuff from the 70s, it is only with Metallica that I've found it again. What do you say?
Cheesecakemouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2007 at 06:29
okay but too many metal subgenres I think it'd be more practical to put them under the prog metal banner just like you have done with the canterbury, zeuhl and italian prog under the classic prog category

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2007 at 06:44
^ of course ... that's also why I placed prog metal on the opposite side of the timeline than prog rock. Technically Jazz-Fusion also deserves its own area, and probably Krautrock/Avant/RIO/Zeuhl too.
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2007 at 07:05
Originally posted by andu andu wrote:

@Cert: Doesn't Zeppelin's approach to riffing (on all instruments) from their 1976 album "Presence" fit well inside this discussion? It was especially on the Knebworth 1979 live performance from the DVD where I noticed a really strong connection with was to become of metal in the 80s ("thrash" is the name if I'm not wrong). There are two or three moments in "Achilles' Last Stand" when the guitar stops its "narrative" tempo and the bass & drums put together an extremely agressive and syncopated riff (the guitar joins at some point if I'm not wrong). That's something I have yet to hear in any other stuff from the 70s, it is only with Metallica that I've found it again. What do you say?

Probably: I mentioned Zep earlier, as a direct influence on Rush, so it's fair to include them in the technical timeline right up to the 1980s. I'm a little reticent to view Zep as a technically-oriented band, however important they are in the development of technical metal; technique was pretty much a by-product rather than a goal.

However, to be fair, this is primarily because I'm not very keen on Zep's music after their fourth album and not due to any genuine musical considerations. I guess that consensus would be a good indicator here.

This is also a nice opportunity to present this link to footage of Michael Schenker shredding (sweep-picking) and also using other techniques that are still widely used by shredders with UFO in 1975: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6H-uxXwdrg

Note also the rhythmic accompaniment, which predicts Iron Maiden's trademark style, as well as thrash (pre-dating "Exciter"), and the careful design element in the arrangement of the solo passage.

I think this video clearly shows technique as a goal - as a means to express musical ideas, rather than as a by-product of experimentation - no matter how clumsy the execution may seem in the light of today's clinically pristine shredders.

Edited by Certif1ed - April 16 2007 at 07:06
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2007 at 07:16
I would concur that Zep's musical focus was on expression through blues rock rather than technique as a centerpiece, and whatever influence on technical playing they had peaked by about 1972. andu's point about 'Achille's Last Stand' is valid, but by '76 the real techies were in full swing and had begun to leave Page in the dust.

One of the key junctures was the first two Ozzy albums, as Certif1ed has noted. Randy Rhodes' rhythmic attack is deeply felt throughout this school and though Iomi, Schenker, Roth and others had influence, none had the impact that Rhodes would turn out to have on those who followed.
Baza View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2007 at 07:21
There is of course this map by Jerry Lucky:

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2007 at 07:26
^ I know that chart - it's very nice and detailed. But for my timeline I explicitly want to keep things simple ...Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>