Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Magma's Vander or Death's Schuldiner?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Poll Question: Who is the greater innovator in your opinion?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
38 [56.72%]
13 [19.40%]
7 [10.45%]
4 [5.97%]
5 [7.46%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Magma's Vander or Death's Schuldiner?
    Posted: May 02 2007 at 20:55
This may look rather ridiculous, but...

Two bands and musicians that are considered innovative and influential in the development of progressive music scenes from different musical backgrounds.

Both bands are hailed by some as very important in pushing the boundaries of  music, and both bands might be considered extreme in their own ways (those who primarily enjoy Menudo, beware!).

Magma and Death are credited by people as integral in the formation of new subgenres, and are considered by many as important to the expansion of the Prog scene.  Both were influential and both played a part in the development of Prog in the forms we've come to know it.   Both had big line-up changes, but the founders, drummer Vander, and guitarist Schuldiner, remained throughout.

Quotes lifted from the band' bio pages at this site.

Quote Led by classically-trained drummer Christian VANDER, MAGMA helped to create a whole genre of music (nicknamed "Zeuhl" after the unique MAGMA language). Their music combined elements of jazz, opera, minimalism and 20th century classical music, yet emotionally rich and undeniably powerful sound that eventually brought on the ZEUHL sub-genre of progressive rock. Incredible and intense! This band was as a real source for many French musicians. Some players were more influential than others, but with each change in personnel came a slight change in the sound of the band...

"
Quote Chuck Schuldiner founded Death in the early 80s as an extreme metal band, not knowing that in the years to come the band would be celebrated by many as the band which created the genre of Death Metal. During the years the lineup changed frequently, with Schuldiner as the constant element. Their music got more and more complex in the 90s, and their last releases Individual Thought Patterns, Symbolic and The Sound of Perseverance are the reason for their inclusion in the archives. The music on these albums is what is today often referred to as "Progressive Death Metal", and it influenced many other bands in the following years which further explored the possibilities of this new kind of music....

From wikipedia:

Quote Charles Michael "Chuck" Schuldiner  was a American musician and genre innovator. He is best known for being the founder, singer, rhythm/lead guitar player and main songwriter of Death, which he founded in 1983 as Mantas and was one of the first bands of the death metal genre

The band Death's founder Chuck Schuldiner helped push the boundaries of uncompromising speed and technical virtuosity, mixing in highly technical and intricate rhythm guitar work with complex arrangements and emotive guitar solos...

Quote Vander is known both for his unique songwriting and his virtuosic drumming. His compositions fuse jazz, rock, classical and opera influences, and draw on the work of musicians as diverse as John Coltrane and Carl Orff. Vander's music is broadly classified as Progressive Rock, but the style is so unique that it falls under its own category....

Now I know that Magma is generally more lauded here than Death, and Vander as a musician/ composer gets far more attention, but who do you consider the greater innovator from a progressive music (and when I say progressive I don't just mean Prog but generally) standpoint, Vander or Schuldiner?  Or are they both equally innovative and creative in their own ways?

Very late edit which I resisted before, since for some reason I missed the c in Schuldiner in the title and poll option.

Edited by Logan - June 19 2011 at 17:45
Just a fanboy passin' through.
rileydog22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rileydog22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2007 at 20:58
Vander pwns every death metal n00b in every catagory.  

Edited by rileydog22 - May 02 2007 at 20:59

Drew View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2007 at 21:00
I'm going with Chuck- his sound BLOWS me away.

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2007 at 21:02
Vander of course...  he only created a whole sub-genre of prog.  I'd say he was the greater innovator...

death metal - Zeuhl...  hahhahha. .

death metal.. is still metal... Zeuhl is.... far out man.. unlike anything else out there previously that I know of.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rileydog22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2007 at 21:11
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Vander of course...  he only created a whole sub-genre of prog.  I'd say he was the greater innovator...

death metal.. is still metal... Zeuhl is.... far out man.. unlike anything else out there previously that I know of.

Excellent points, but I was far more concise.  You could have just quoted me and given some clappies; you get your point across, but with less work. 

Edited by rileydog22 - May 02 2007 at 21:11

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2007 at 21:21
Originally posted by rileydog22 rileydog22 wrote:

Excellent points, but I was far more concise.  You could have just quoted me and given some clappies; you get your point across, but with less work. 

hahahha...  I know.. but I'd hate to be labelled a 'clappie whore'...  I'd hate to be seen as too easy you know LOLWink You've got to work it baby if you want a piece of me,   big guy...

Not to mention I don't get the chance to mention Death Metal and Zeuhl in the same sentence that often...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
____VdGG____ View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ____VdGG____ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2007 at 21:28
Vander wipes everything else off of the map in terms of innovation in my books...
Iron throated monsters are forcing the screams;
Mind and machinery box-press our dreams
febus View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote febus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2007 at 21:48
I don't know what we are comparing here! 

Kontarkosz and death metalWacko  as i never heard before of this metal band  and will never listen to it, i'll stay with the frenchman!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rileydog22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2007 at 21:58
Hey!  If Vander can win this poll, it will be the first French victory since Napoleon died!

France est mort?  Vive France (or at least Vive Magma!)

Edited by rileydog22 - May 02 2007 at 21:59

TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheProgtologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2007 at 22:02
Sorry guys but I don't like Magma and don't care for Vander.

Schuldiner was an innovator,he practically created a musical genre singlehandedly.

Nuff said.

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2007 at 22:15
Incidentally, Death and Magma may have more in common than people realise.

Magma has a track entitled Zombie Ritual (off Udu Wudu) and Death has a track called Zombies off Scream Bloody Gore.

Since Magma's predates Death's by eleven years, I vote for Vander as the greater innovator. Zombie... song? Zombie songs? WtF? *Rip-off, cough, cough*   I mean, who would ever think-up crazy stuff like that? Wink LOL Clown

Just a fanboy passin' through.
The Miracle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Miracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2007 at 22:18
Vander... Chuck is a good drummer and everything but not nearly as impressive and certainly not as good of a composer.

Now if it was Vander vs. Flo Mounier(Cryptopsy), I would've thought twice, that guy's just sick.
lightbulb_son View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lightbulb_son Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2007 at 22:22
Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

Sorry guys but I don't like Magma and don't care for Vander.

Schuldiner was an innovator,he practically created a musical genre singlehandedly.

Nuff said.

Couldn't have said it better myself.
When the world is sick
Can't no one be well
But I dreamt we were all
beautiful and strong

lightbulb_son View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lightbulb_son Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2007 at 22:27
Originally posted by The Miracle The Miracle wrote:

Vander... Chuck is a good drummer and everything but not nearly as impressive and certainly not as good of a composer.

Now if it was Vander vs. Flo Mounier(Cryptopsy), I would've thought twice, that guy's just sick.

Last time I checked Chuck never played drums, but I wouldn't be surprised.

And I completely agree with picking Flo Clap. That guy is a monster behind the kit. If you enjoy him, I would also recommend checking out Brain Drill's drummer Marco Pitruzella, one of the fastest in the world and he is like 20, kid is a machine gun.
When the world is sick
Can't no one be well
But I dreamt we were all
beautiful and strong

The Miracle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Miracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2007 at 22:34
^my mistake, I meant guitarist

I just didn't like Death as much as much other death metal I know. What I've heard from Brain Drill was amazing, will check out more definitely.
Proletariat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Proletariat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2007 at 22:50

Ok, so they both invented new genres of music, they both were amazing they went in almost exact oposite directions. they both kick a$s, They are too different to be compared and too much the same to rate to each other.

they are equal in every way.

PS. I agree with the flo idea, he is amazing
who hiccuped endlessly trying to giggle but wound up with a sob
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rileydog22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2007 at 22:53

Nuff said.

Hmmmmmm, I coulda sworn Vander did something like that too...............

Edited by rileydog22 - May 02 2007 at 22:57

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2007 at 22:58

Nuff said.

I coulda sworn Vander did something like that too...............

I sure don't know much about death metal... but one of our metal experts might  explain.. just what was so innovative about Death Metal.  In my eyes sort of like creating a new flavor of ice cream.. versus what Vander did which create the wheel in comparison.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rileydog22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2007 at 22:59

Nuff said.

I coulda sworn Vander did something like that too...............

I sure don't know much about death metal... but one of our metal experts might  explain.. just what was so innovative about Death Metal.  In my eyes sort of like creating a new flavor of ice cream.. versus what Vander did which create the wheel in comparison.

I couldn't agree more.  Death metal is another flavor of metal, while Zeuhl is......Zeuhl. 

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2007 at 23:07

I couldn't agree more.  Death metal is another flavor of metal, while Zeuhl is......Zeuhl. 

LOL now that I can quote.. you said in half the words what I was trying to say haha

here.. have some clappies...

ClapClap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>