Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs Faust more Rio/ Avantgarde than Krautrock?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is Faust more Rio/ Avantgarde than Krautrock?
    Posted: May 04 2007 at 00:46
Just listening to their first album, makes me thing that Faust have more in common with Captain Beefheart than with Can.  I think the only reason Faust is listed under Krautrock is because they're german, if they were not from Germany, without a doubt they would be in the Rio/ Avantgarde section. Infact the only thing that made them have an association with Krautrock, apart from the German nationality was their song Krautrock. If you ask me they sould be under the Rio/Avant section.

Edited by Cheesecakemouse - May 04 2007 at 00:48

Atomic_Rooster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2007 at 01:02
Their IV album does have a song called Krautrock on it.  That album is closer to Can and others, but they do have some avantgarde qualities (they actually toured with Henry Cow for awhile).  They are perhaps the most aggressive Kraut band (maybe, haven't heard every single one of them)
I am but a servant of the mighty Fripp, the sound of whose loins shall forever be upon the tongues of his followers.
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2007 at 02:36
Maybe I've been listening to the wrong Krautrock, but I think that Amon Duul II are more typical of the Krautrock sound - Can are a breed apart. 

Faust always gave me the impression that they were poking fun at the whole avant-garde thing, and their music and musical attitude has a strong sense of RIO about it. The Henry Cow link would seem to affirm this.
The important thing is not to stop questioning.
annexusquam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2007 at 03:00
Originally posted by Cheesecakemouse Cheesecakemouse wrote:

Just listening to their first album, makes me thing that Faust have more in common with Captain Beefheart than with Can.  I think the only reason Faust is listed under Krautrock is because they're german, if they were not from Germany, without a doubt they would be in the Rio/ Avantgarde section. Infact the only thing that made them have an association with Krautrock, apart from the German nationality was their song Krautrock. If you ask me they sould be under the Rio/Avant section.
then neither popol vuh nor neu! should be under the krautrock  ''label'', each band in the krautrock scene has it's own identity and it's unique sound unlike many of the british bands whose sound is very similar with each other. the fact is that faust were and always will be the most radical krautrock band ever and that is what makes u consider all about the avant garde thing. anyway it's all music, good or bad
https://0a0wake0.bandcamp.com/releases
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2007 at 06:33
Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

Maybe I've been listening to the wrong Krautrock, but I think that Amon Duul II are more typical of the Krautrock sound - Can are a breed apart. 

Faust always gave me the impression that they were poking fun at the whole avant-garde thing, and their music and musical attitude has a strong sense of RIO about it. The Henry Cow link would seem to affirm this.

Personally I think Can is best representative of Krautrock especially if you condider groups llike Neu!, Kraftwrk and Cluster.

FGaust is not really anything to do with rock anymore, they are really Musique Concrete, but still classified as Kraut for lack of better place. But they would fit better with RIO.

However plenty of groups placed in Krautrock would fit well/much better (Dzyan etc...) with JR/F but Phillipe feels they are better in KR
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2007 at 09:27
Before I heard IV I never would have though of them as Krautrock. Before that album there songs are pirmarily avant, and I would say moreso than a good number of bands that we have included inthe avant prog genre.

I think that they also have quite a reputation for being avant. Ask someone about The Faust Tapes and see how they describe it.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
The Wizard View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2007 at 18:37
Definetely. I always thought they were RIO until I actually checked. They're definetely charatersitic of the RIO sound and as far their sound goes aren't much like the rest of krautrock.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2007 at 20:16

no way in hell they should be in RiO....

Krautrock is a different kind of sub-genre.  It's not a purely  musical grouping as much as it can be viewed as  a hybrid of a socio-historical movement with strong musical similairites.   It is a natural grouping..  and it's one of several here.

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Cheesecakemouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2007 at 20:19
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

no way in hell they should be in RiO....

Krautrock is a different kind of sub-genre.  It's not a purely  musical grouping as much as it can be viewed as  a hybrid of a socio-historical movement with strong musical similairites.   It is a natural grouping..  and it's one of several here.

What about Eloy?

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2007 at 20:30
ahhh.. LOL I figured you would have asked 'what about Triumvirat'   Same answer though...

though German... their  influences were purely English.  Thus they are not Krautrock..

Edited by micky - May 04 2007 at 20:31
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Atomic_Rooster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2007 at 20:41
the same thing can be said for several Canterbury bands
I am but a servant of the mighty Fripp, the sound of whose loins shall forever be upon the tongues of his followers.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2007 at 20:49
Originally posted by Atomic_Rooster Atomic_Rooster wrote:

exactly Clap... as I said before Krautrock is not the only sub here that is not a purely musical grouping.  Again.. they are a natural.. and historic grouping that people know and recognize and the site can, has, and will recognize them.   As a simple example...  take some cat that gets into Soft Machine at this site... where will he ..or she LOL will  go next..  you better believe it.. Caravan.  Does it matter that they don't sound exactly alike..  or might  be in different purely musical subgrouping if done that way... nope.. it really doesn't matter a damn bit.  Listeners of one group.. will 'know'  the other... though differently musically.. they belong together.  There is no way around that. 
philippe View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2007 at 03:57
Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

I think that Amon Duul II are more typical of the Krautrock sound - Can are a breed apart. 

It's not only an impression, it's true!!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2007 at 04:02

Originally posted by Atomic_Rooster Atomic_Rooster wrote:

exactly Clap... as I said before Krautrock is not the only sub here that is not a purely musical grouping.  Again.. they are a natural.. and historic grouping that people know and recognize and the site can, has, and will recognize them.   As a simple example...  take some cat that gets into Soft Machine at this site... where will he ..or she LOL will  go next..  you better believe it.. Caravan.  Does it matter that they don't sound exactly alike..  or might  be in different purely musical subgrouping if done that way... nope.. it really doesn't matter a damn bit.  Listeners of one group.. will 'know'  the other... though differently musically.. they belong together.  There is no way around that. 

But don't you think it would mean tht fans of Rio/Avant might overlook Faust because they arn't impressed with, for example Can, and then think that thats what all those bands listed under Kraut sound like?

Rocktopus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2007 at 04:10
Faust is in the R.I.O/avant part of kraut, Cluster is in the progressive electronic part of kraut, Agitation Free is in the easternsounding/jazz/fusion part of kraut etc... that's how I see it. (I even think of 70's Klaus Shulze and Tangerine Dream as kraut)
Over land and under ashes
In the sunlight, see - it flashes
Find a fly and eat his eye
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2007 at 04:13

ahhh.. LOL I figured you would have asked 'what about Triumvirat'   Same answer though...

though German... their  influences were purely English.  Thus they are not Krautrock..

...and Tangerine Dream and Kraftwerk?

paolo.beenees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2007 at 08:14
Is the real Krautrock (Faust, Neu!, Can, Guru Guru... and its electronic side) pure Rock In Opposition actually? Same anarchic approach, same advantgarde influence, same search for something totally new... As the difference here seems to be purely geographical, let's consider Faust Krautrock.
thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2007 at 08:55
I definitely consider Faust krautrock, for much the same reasons that micky said. They were part of an experimental movement in German music in the early seventies that broke with Englilsh traditions. I also consider early Tangerine Dream, Kraftwerk and Klaus Schulze as Krautrock, but I understand why they are placed under progressive electronic. Kind of makes me wish we could classify bands under multiple sub-genres, but that would probably just be chaotic.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2007 at 13:17
Originally posted by thellama73 thellama73 wrote:

I definitely consider Faust krautrock, for much the same reasons that micky said. They were part of an experimental movement in German music in the early seventies that broke with Englilsh traditions. I also consider early Tangerine Dream, Kraftwerk and Klaus Schulze as Krautrock, but I understand why they are placed under progressive electronic. Kind of makes me wish we could classify bands under multiple sub-genres, but that would probably just be chaotic.

Kraftwerk and TD were krautrock in the beginning..  one of the major facets of categorizing the bands here is what a friend of mine says is 'the expectations of the listeners'  To most Kraftwerk and TD ARE electronic artists.  Were they Krautrock... of course they were.....

multiple sub-genere listings,  would be a nice solution..  though it would be a major restructuring of the site and a shakeup for the collabs as well.  Would destroy the notions of genre teams...or at least their power base here as the sole voices of what is and is not applicable in a sub.  The groups would again belong to the site.. not as property of any particular genre team.
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2007 at 13:23

multiple sub-genere listings,  would be a nice solution..  though it would be a major restructuring of the site and a shakeup for the collabs as well.  Would destroy the notions of genre teams...or at least their power base here as the sole voices of what is and is not applicable in a sub.  The groups would again belong to the site.. not as property of any particular genre team.

A good solution which I subscribe to and have posted in favour of it several times in the collab zone as did other collabs. But I don't think it'll happen and anyway this is dependent of the owners and Webmaster. I am more than willing to work on this reclassification if it is applied. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>