Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMontreal Jazz Festival, June & July 07

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Montreal Jazz Festival, June & July 07
    Posted: May 05 2007 at 09:32
Once again,  the Montreal Jazz Festival will present some great shows with many of the best jazz and fusion jazz musicians.

Keith Jarret, Wayne Shorter, Billy Cobham, Mike Stern, Olivier Jones, Dolores O'riordan from the Cranberries, Zachary Richard, Bob Dylan, Cesaria Evora, Sean Lennon , Ricky Lee Jones, Anne Ducros from France, Dave Holland Quintet, and so on...

It will be the party in town from the 28 th of june to the 8 th of july, inside and outside.   
 We choose a good one I guess. It's fusion Jazz at his best; Mike Stern ( guitar), Alain Caron from Uzeb ( bass) and the one and only  Billy Cobham on drums. I already have my tickets at the front row.

This International Jazz Festival is about music from around the world; latin music, world beat, African beat, blues, jazz fusion, jazz, pop, soul, and so on. It's not only jazz, it's more than that.

For those who wants more information, you can go there;

Maybe it's worth to have a look.

Edited by Prog.Sylvie - May 05 2007 at 09:39
C'est la vie
Chus View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2007 at 01:40
Thanks PS. This reminds me I saw a video recently of Buddy Rich in the 80's playing his last concert at the MJF. I always had the wrong impression that at the festival only jazz big bands gathered (including latin big bands) or those around a more traditional jazz style (bebop, swing......... dixieWink). Nice to know also fusion gets played
Jesus Gabriel
Atomic_Rooster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2007 at 01:48
We all know that Bob Dylan is the greatest jazz/fusion musician ever
I am but a servant of the mighty Fripp, the sound of whose loins shall forever be upon the tongues of his followers.
Chus View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2007 at 01:51
Originally posted by Atomic_Rooster Atomic_Rooster wrote:

We all know that Bob Dylan is the greatest jazz/fusion musician ever

LOL

I prefer the Cranberries thoughWink all festivals are not the same as 20 or 30 years ago, I think, a decreasing in quality has developed, allowing practically every musician to take part on a jazz festival. As we know it, Ricky Martin could be there as a "latin jazz" artistLOL

Edited by Chus - May 06 2007 at 01:52
Jesus Gabriel
Prog.Sylvie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2007 at 09:33
I only wanted to show that as usual we have big names, in different music style. I agree, that this fest. like Montreux Jazz Festival, or any other called Jazz Festival,  present many kind of music.

I don't like everything on this festival; so far, since 4 years, I saw Micheal Brecker, Al Dimiola, Pat Metheney,  Chick Corea and others, all related to fusion Jazz.

About Bob Dylan, I like to listen to his old tunes on radio or CD.,that's all. 
C'est la vie
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2007 at 16:36
                                                       WARNING! WARNING!
                                   MONTRÉAL COMMUNIST JAZZ FESTIVAL
Before going to the so-called free shows be prepared to be frisked and strip searched at all entrances and remember to bring $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ for the $6 beer and $1 that they expect for a tip. They won`t even let you bring bottled water onto the venues so bring $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ for water as well unless you want to drink it from the tap in the portable toilets. If you want tickets for any of the over-priced ticketed shows forget it they`re all sold out to the pigeons who have been suckered in in advance.

Don`t get me wrong I`ve been going to the jazz festival since day 1 but have boycotted it for the past 3 years because  it just ain`t fun anymore. When they have to bring in Bob Dylan to open up a jazz festival then you know something`s wrong with this picture.

RIP Montréal International Jazz Festival
Bern View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2007 at 16:53
One of my friends is playing on the festival so I'll go for sure.

RIP in bossa nova heaven.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2007 at 17:43
Who is your friend Bern ?  With whom, where and when is he going to play ?

I agree that to see the best shows at this festival, you have to pay for it.  It's the same on the prog.scene, you have to pay from 25.00 $ to 150.00 $  ( gold tickets for the prog.festival). Nothing is free in the world today. By chance, my generation as now the money, while in the seventies, we still did not have a lot of money to be able to attend a lot of shows.

Now we have, so we can see at least one show a month.  

Don't be so harsh on this Festival; it's not worst than what we can see at Montreux Jazz Festival or everywhere else. Don't you remember that two years ago, Mr. Pat Metheney gave a free concert outside and he played " The Way Up" from the first note to the last. This concert was decided the week before the Jazz Festival. This performance was filmed live and we could see it on television live. 

So, this Festival can still have his great and memorable moments.   

Edited by Prog.Sylvie - May 07 2007 at 17:44
C'est la vie
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2007 at 16:40
Maybe not of interest to prog fans but Oscar Peterson has cancelled his MIJF concert. Tried to find out why but I could only get answering machines. But don`t worry, the master of jazz Bob Dylan and the former vocalist from the jazz fusion band The Cranberries haven`t cancelled yet.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2007 at 17:32
As long as Mike Stern, Billy Cohbam, and Alain Caron still play their act, I will be happy.Smile

About  Oscar Peterson, maybe it's his health, who knows...
C'est la vie
Abstrakt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2007 at 11:00
Originally posted by Prog.Sylvie Prog.Sylvie wrote:

Once again,  the Montreal Jazz Festival will present some great shows with many of the best jazz and fusion jazz musicians.

Keith Jarret, Wayne Shorter, Billy Cobham, Mike Stern, Olivier Jones, Dolores O'riordan from the Cranberries, Zachary Richard, Bob Dylan, Cesaria Evora, Sean Lennon , Ricky Lee Jones, Anne Ducros from France, Dave Holland Quintet, and so on...

It will be the party in town from the 28 th of june to the 8 th of july, inside and outside.   
 We choose a good one I guess. It's fusion Jazz at his best; Mike Stern ( guitar), Alain Caron from Uzeb ( bass) and the one and only  Billy Cobham on drums. I already have my tickets at the front row.

This International Jazz Festival is about music from around the world; latin music, world beat, African beat, blues, jazz fusion, jazz, pop, soul, and so on. It's not only jazz, it's more than that.

For those who wants more information, you can go there;

Maybe it's worth to have a look.

*Drools*
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2007 at 15:02
Well...............................................If it`s bloody music from all around the bloody world why don`t they call it the Momtréal Bloody World Bloody Music Bloody Festival.
 I`m not the only one who thinks that this Festival which is a few hundred thousand dollars short this year has gone off the deep end.

From Letters To the Editor Montréal Gazette May 26 2007

Whatever it is, it sure ain`t jazz
Re: " Jazz fest anounces three big shows- not to mention Van Morrison " ( Gazette, May 23 )
Wow- The Montreal International Yuppy Fest bags first Bob Dylan and now Van Morrison, who will be the next great jazz artist to play at our internationally renowned festival. How about Neil Young or even better ABBA?
Please stop calling this a jazz festival. It`s becomming a tad insulting and, for the Montréal jazz community, downright embarassing.
David Gossage, Montréal

Thank You Mr. Gossage.Clap
 Also my friend`s 76 year- old uncle lives on St. Urbain close to where they turn each street corner into a Check Point Charlie to to strip search you for contraband. The riff raff that show up for this thing smoke dope and drink in his back alley and throw all their refuse on his property. The sooner this thing dies the better off Montréal`s reputation as a real music city  will be as it was once upon a time.

Edited by Vibrationbaby - May 28 2007 at 15:04
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2007 at 15:05
Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

Well...............................................If it`s bloody music from all around the bloody world why don`t they call it the Momtréal Bloody World Bloody Music Bloody Festival.
 I`m not the only one who thinks that this Festival which is a few hundred thousand dollars short this year has gone off the deep end.

From Letters To the Editor Montréal Gazette May 26 2007

Whatever it is, it sure ain`t jazz
Re: " Jazz fest anounces three big shows- not to mention Van Morrison " ( Gazette, May 23 )
Wow- The Montreal International Yuppy Fest bags first Bob Dylan and now Van Morrison, who will be the next great jazz artist to play at our internationally renowned festival. How about Neil Young or even better ABBA?
Please stop calling this a jazz festival. It`s becomming a tad insulting and, for the Montréal jazz community, downright embarassing.
David Gossage, Montréal

Thank You Mr. Gossage.Clap
 Also my friend`s 76 year- old uncle lives on St. Urbain close to where they turn each street corner into a Check Point Charlie to check for contraband. The riff raff that show up for this thing smoke dope and drink in his back alley and throw all their refuse on his property. The sooner this thing dies the better off Montréal`s reputation as a real music city  will be as it was once upon a time.

you're turning really grouchy in your old age....Tongue
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2007 at 15:43

All the Jazz Festivals in the World has the same problem. They are not really just Jazz Festival but Music Festival. As long as there are music and good musicians to come, that's what counts.

There is nothing like a Quebecors or Montrealers to put down their own festivals or their own music, and their peers. Whenever some people are doing something in this city, there are always people to say something negative about it .

All the great musicians in the world ( almost) came to play at this Festival in 27 years, so it's certainly a good thing for the city. It is well know internationnaly, like Montreux Festival and others...

I agree with the Gazette journalist about the name of this Festival, but it does not matter how we call it, as long as the greats , the bests and the new ones from around the worlk keep on coming...    

C'est la vie
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2007 at 15:45
Grumpy old man, that's what you are Vibration ...ShockedWinkTongue
C'est la vie
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2007 at 16:42
I`m realistic. Too many freaks show up for this circus. The Jazz Festival is gliding on past glories , you said it yourself. Check out the latest issue of Jazz Times for a listing of real jazz festivals. Even though there are a lot of smaller ones at least they stick to the program. Montréal is only interested in cashing in. Nothing else.
Bern View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2007 at 17:13

Who is your friend Bern ?  With whom, where and when is he going to play ?

My friend is Antoine Loubier. He's a bass player who's a university student. He was chosen as one of the canadian university musicians who get to play a show at L'esplanade de la Place des Arts. I don't know when it will be yet. I'll confirm this later.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2007 at 17:22
I checked the other Jazz Festivals; The bigger ones can not stick only to the traditionnal jazz music otherwise, they could not have so many shows in 11 days. 

So, most of them has the blues part, the cuban part, the world beat parts, the rock  and jazz fusion,  the traditionnal jazz, the soul parts, the pop, and so on.  The  same players and musicians go from Festivals to another... Mtl attracks the same musicians as other festivals...We don't have to be ashamed and to be negative about it.

You have the right not to go and maybe instead you can try the Mont Tremblant Blues Festival, or maybe you will find the way to criticize this one too... or maybe stay at home and keep on criticize everything from your leaving room without seeing any show at all, it's that what you want.

Grumpy old man , you know like the British TV series. When I was in England in june 2005, I saw Rick Wakeman on this show talking about many things and criticize most of the things. This show  was about man around 50 and 60 criticize many things on life and the society in general.
C'est la vie
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2007 at 17:25
Bern,

About your friend, Antoine Loubier, I will take a look if I can.

Thanks.

Bern, were you at the Porcupine Tree show last saturday ? 

Edited by Prog.Sylvie - May 28 2007 at 17:25
C'est la vie
Bern View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2007 at 18:20

Bern,

About your friend, Antoine Loubier, I will take a look if I can.

Thanks.

Bern, were you at the Porcupine Tree show last saturday ? 

Nice. I'll give you more information when I get it.

Sadly, no. I was supposed to buy tickets but I didn't cause I have limited money and I bought a LOT of concert tickets already. I'll be at the Zappa plays Zappa and Jethro Tull concert though. Oh and I'm going to see Don Giovanni at Montreal's opera tonight. Smile

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>