Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cardiacs, eh?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Hemulen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cardiacs, eh?
    Posted: May 05 2007 at 16:44
Now, I know they're not everyone's cup of tea. Nor, are they even all THAT proggy (Tim Smith utterly despises the use of the term prog OR punk in connection with their music) but for me, they are simply extraordinary. Not since I discovered Gentle Giant has one band lit up so many bits of my brain at once. I've spent the last year or so in a kind of musical daze, with nothing I've discovered subsequent to finding them really holding my attention. I'll give it a few spins, then dive straight back into my Cardiacs collection.

So, what do other folks here think? There was a thread on them ages ago but that's well and truly died. I wonder how many Cardiacs fans we have on PA nowadays...
cuncuna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuncuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2007 at 17:02
Count me in. Incredible musicians indeed.
ĦBeware of the Bee!

Ghandi 2 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghandi 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2007 at 18:13

I'll have to check them out. Any recommendations?

Bj-1 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bj-1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2007 at 18:16
I really like what I've heard from them. Their album is kinda hard to find though, but I will get'em eventually.
RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!
The Hemulen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Hemulen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2007 at 20:17
Originally posted by Ghandi 2 Ghandi 2 wrote:

A Little Man and A House and the Whole World Window is usually touted as the best starting point, especially for proggers. It features a fair amount of mellotron and has a slightly "proggier" feel than some of their earlier, and indeed more recent stuff.

I'd also say On Land and In The Sea is a great way to get into them if you like hard-edged avant-prog.

If you like a refined, polished sound and don't mind an almost pop-like quality to your music as long as it's still weird and outlandish then Sing To God might suit you.

Ultimately, it really all depends on your own tastes. All their albums are 100% Cardiacs and 100% brilliant, but each has a unique flavour to it. Personally I'd stick to one of those three for starters though.

And as for availability... Their music is self-released and consequently quite scarce, with much of their back catalogue currently out of stock. However, fresh crops are apparently on their way.

In the meantime, don't feel too guilty about getting mp3s whilst you're waiting for the albums to be re-released. I reckon the band would prefer that than you wasting money on e-bay, none of which will reach them.

Edited by Trouserpress - May 05 2007 at 20:18
cuncuna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuncuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2007 at 20:21

The "Sing to God" double album. But mark my words: they sound like a punk and a prog band mixed in a really high speed blender.
ĦBeware of the Bee!

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Hemulen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2007 at 20:22
Originally posted by cuncuna cuncuna wrote:

The "Sing to God" double album. But mark my words: they sound like a punk and a prog band mixed in a really high speed blender.

Mmm... Pronk smoothie...
Bj-1 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bj-1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2007 at 21:52
Even mp3's of them are difficult to find.. Disapprove
RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!
Atomic_Rooster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atomic_Rooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2007 at 01:14
they're a pretty cool band, but yeah, their albums are really tough to find
I am but a servant of the mighty Fripp, the sound of whose loins shall forever be upon the tongues of his followers.
I|I|I|I|I View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I|I|I|I|I Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2007 at 01:33
I find this band quite unique. And very catchy, in a strange way.
Go and listen to my music.

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=31725
con safo View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote con safo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2007 at 04:13
AMAZING BAND!!!!Clap
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Hemulen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2007 at 12:10
Originally posted by I|I|I|I|I I|I|I|I|I wrote:

I find this band quite unique. And very catchy, in a strange way.

They're extremely catchy! You should see their fans at live shows - bobbing up and down and singing along at breakneck speed! I should know, I was one at their last gig!
A B Negative View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A B Negative Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2007 at 06:08
When I first heard the Cardiacs I couldn't (under)stand them. The music was all over the place and I couldn't follow it. And that xylophone/glockenspiel/whatever - as irritating as the worst of Frank Zappa. The way they looked didn't help much either!

When I heard Is This the Life my opinion changed slightly. It's a great song, more linear than other stuff I'd heard.

Then I heard Van der Graaf Generator. Parts of A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers sounded exactly the same to me as the Cardiacs. Weird!

A while later I heard Bellyeye on Mark Radcliffe's radio show and was absolutely stunned! I bought the CD single and loved the title track but wasn't too keen on the other tracks.

Then a couple of years ago I spotted the Sing To God CD really cheap and thought I'd take a chance. I'm glad I did, it's a superb album!

Wink
"The disgusting stink of a too-loud electric guitar.... Now, that's my idea of a good time."
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moogtron III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2007 at 07:19
I still like them. First time I heard a real blend of prog and punk (even though Tim Smith wouldn't agree with those words). I'm glad with all bands who don't care at all if they're hip / cool or not. And The Cardiacs have some nice tunes!
SheikYerbouti View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SheikYerbouti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2007 at 07:58

Anyone got some links to some Mp3s, I'd really like to listen.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Hemulen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2007 at 09:27
This is what I'm talking about!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aL5MGoI-60M
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moogtron III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2007 at 09:53
^^^ It's them, no doubt. Long live The Cardiacs.

BTW, nice to see a fresh thread from you, TP! Wink
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2007 at 11:01
I dont know much about them. They were a 'name' on the 'Indie' scene in the mid to late 80's and I remember gazing at my shoes, in a cloud of dry ice to 'Is this the life' many times. Good days!

Just watched the Youtube clips. They are a truly extraordiary band, and very original. One day I'll take the plunge and actually buy one of their albums..
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Hemulen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2007 at 15:40
Aww c'mon chaps! This thread doesn't deserve to die yet!

More images:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIB_9YvJAFo
Atomic_Rooster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atomic_Rooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2007 at 15:41
anyone know when their albums may come back into print?
I am but a servant of the mighty Fripp, the sound of whose loins shall forever be upon the tongues of his followers.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>