Topic ClosedChrysalide

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chrysalide
    Posted: May 06 2007 at 11:03
Can anyone tell me what are the lyrics of their songs about? I don't speak french...

http://www.apreslachute.com/en_paroleslc.htm

http://www.apreslachute.com/en_parolesalc.htm

I quite like their music though it's not prog. I like the mood. There are two albums available for free:

http://www.apreslachute.com/en_disco.htm

Smile
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2007 at 13:02
Anybody?
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2007 at 15:00
So?

Charles Bukowski
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2007 at 18:30
From their website:

"The specifications of the sound of Chrysalide can be distinguished by the elements there below :

- the music is mainly acoustic, built upon an acoustic rythm guitar, and an acoustic bass played using chords ;

- the voice has a double function, it is either supporting the lyrics or used as an arrangement ;

- the musical background has been completed, on Après la Chute, by several arrangements of electric and acoustic guitars , as well as tambourine and cello ;

- songs are built upon structures frequently borrowed to classical music."

" One of the goals of Chrysalide is to achieve a complete and coherent musical work, in the lyrics as much as in the music. Therefore, the compositions are supported by logically linked texts, on the album level as well as globally.

Each album is composed of ten songs. La Chute and Après la Chute have their own introductive and conclusive songs, whereas Triptyque, the central opus, has the two other albums as a prequel and a sequel. Yet, each album can be taken separately."

" Here is, in bulk, some of the musical and literary references that had influenced the members of Chrysalide during the composition :

- the Cold Wave, mainly Bauhaus and Joy Division ;

- Progressive Rock of the seventies, as, for example: Deep Purple, Genesis (Peter Gabriel era), Led Zeppelin or the early work of Pink Floyd, in their long lasting songs ;

- "Chanson française", for the arrangements, and particularly the following artists : Gainsbourg, Autour de Lucie, Superflu, Dionysos ;

- liturgic and holy music for the construction of the songs and the vocal parts ;

- symbolist and romantic poets of the 19th century : Arthur Rimbaud, Lautréamont, Charles Baudelaire, Les "Poëtes du Chat Noir" ;

- medieval writers, such as Dante Alighieri."

Charles Bukowski
progismylife View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2007 at 18:35
Taking a look right now...
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2007 at 16:42
And?

Charles Bukowski
Geoffroy View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2007 at 17:00
Hi,
it's Geoffroy over here, I'm a member of  Chrysalide, and I've seen this post in the referers of our website.
About our lyrics, I haven't translated them because it's always difficult to render the initial intentions into another language without loosing a lot of the sense  (I don't consider myself good enough in English to do so).

I can give you a quick overview of the concept of the albums : it's an elliptic narrative of strong biblical themes (mostly on the first opus La Chute, that refers to the fall of the angels) mixed with the more intimist insights of a narrator that experiences difficult psychological issues (it's hard to be more specific). If you have a couple of songs you'd like to see translated, ask away,  I will try my best  to give you an accurate version (though not a full album, it's too much work for me).

Anyway, it's interesting that you don't consider our music "progressive", as we've had much trouble to put ourselves under a label. I would be glad to discuss it with you, if you want.

Thanks for your interest,
Best regards,

Geoffroy.
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2007 at 17:24
Originally posted by Geoffroy Geoffroy wrote:

Hi,
it's Geoffroy over here, I'm a member of  Chrysalide, and I've seen this post in the referers of our website.
About our lyrics, I haven't translated them because it's always difficult to render the initial intentions into another language without loosing a lot of the sense  (I don't consider myself good enough in English to do so).

I can give you a quick overview of the concept of the albums : it's an elliptic narrative of strong biblical themes (mostly on the first opus La Chute, that refers to the fall of the angels) mixed with the more intimist insights of a narrator that experiences difficult psychological issues (it's hard to be more specific). If you have a couple of songs you'd like to see translated, ask away,  I will try my best  to give you an accurate version (though not a full album, it's too much work for me).

Anyway, it's interesting that you don't consider our music "progressive", as we've had much trouble to put ourselves under a label. I would be glad to discuss it with you, if you want.

Thanks for your interest,
Best regards,

Geoffroy.

Hi! I'm very pleased to meet you. Smile
What I meant by saying that your music isn't prog is that it's not very varied. I mean the instrumentarium is rather limited. The acoustic guitar is predominant in your sound and I really like the use of it. But you don't use any keyboards or other electronic equipment (see our definition of progressive rock - you fulfill some requirements). It's true however that it's hard to categorise you.
I've got a question  - when will the middle album of the trilogy be finished?

Best regards,
Bartek

Charles Bukowski
Asyte2c00 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2007 at 17:26
I am in love with this band.  They play melancholy acoustic rock, mostly percussionless.  Moody vocals and low-fi production. 

Sorry, I cannot speak French, but who cares? The music is amazing. 

Edited by Asyte2c00 - May 13 2007 at 17:27
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2007 at 17:30
Originally posted by Asyte2c00 Asyte2c00 wrote:

I am in love with this band.  They play melancholy acoustic rock, mostly percussionless.  Moody vocals and low-fi production. 

Sorry, I cannot speak French, but who cares? The music is amazing. 

Indeed! Smile

Charles Bukowski
Geoffroy View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2007 at 17:38
Quote What I meant by saying that your music isn't prog is that it's not very varied. I mean the instrumentarium is rather limited. The acoustic guitar is predominant in your sound and I really like the use of it. But you don't use any keyboards or other electronic equipment (see our definition of progressive rock - you fulfill some requirements). It's true however that it's hard to categorise you.

Yes, you're right about that. The "Triptyque" album should be more canonical with your definition of Progressive Rock (more percussion, still no keyboards, but more unusual instruments, such as Cümbüs, Bouzouki or Mandolin. More Cello too). Maybe progressive folk could be a more accurate label, though it's not entirely our sound. I tend to consider a piece of music "progressive" according to its construction, so I have a quite large personnal definition of the genre.

Quote I've got a question  - when will the middle album of the trilogy be finished?

It's almost done. I have the vocals to re-record on the central 18'00 piece of the album (quite a tricky song), then we'll have to add the female vocals and the cello. If everything goes smoothly, it should be available in June, maybe July.

If you're interested, send me a mail (geoffroyvincens [at] yahoo [dot] com), I will give you the links to some of the finished songs.
Regards,

Geoffroy.
Geoffroy View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2007 at 17:43
Originally posted by Asyte2c00 Asyte2c00 wrote:

Hi !
Thank you. I wasn't aware there was enthousiasts of our work on such a prestigious website.
Regards,

Geoffroy.
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2007 at 18:11
BTW, why didn't you record your albums chronologically? Why the middle one is being recorded as the last one?

Charles Bukowski
Geoffroy View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2007 at 18:31
Well, it's a bit complicated... We first recorded La Chute in 1997/1998, which was quite normal since it was the first chronological album (the lyrics were written between 1997 and 1999). Then we went on hiatus until 2004, when we had the choice to record either Triptyque or Après la Chute. We decided to record Après la Chute, mostly because the mood of the album was what we wanted to do at this time, and the project was less ambitious than Triptyque. We began work for Triptyque right after that, but decided that we might as well make new recordings for La Chute as the 1998's version was really really lo-fi, and we wanted to have most recording experience as possible before beginning to record Triptyque. (I hope it makes sense a little)

Post Reply Post Reply