Topic Closed"The Exhibition" from Salzburg

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: "The Exhibition" from Salzburg
    Posted: May 07 2007 at 15:50
Hi

listen to "The Exhibition" from the Mozart-City Salzburg in Austria.
We have recorded our demos in September 2006 and right now we are working on our first high-quality release.
The music style is best described as Classic Progressive Rock. A mixture between the music from Camel and King Crimson and the sound from Pink Floyd.
Our LineUp is:
Dominik - Keys, Vocals
Jo - Guitars
Alfons - Bass, Vocals
Jakob - Lead-Vocals
Manuel - Drums, Vocals

Here are the links to our Demos:
The Descent of Atlantis - http://www.theexhibition.at/res/TheDescentOfAtlantis.mp3
It was Light - http://www.theexhibition.at/res/ItWasLight.mp3
Gist of a Battle http://www.theexhibition.at/res/GistOfABattle.mp3
Redemption http://www.theexhibition.at/res/TheRedemption.mp3

for further information visit our website www.TheExhibition.at

I'd be happy to hear some opinions

Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2007 at 08:34
I'll check it this evening!

Feef free to check my music too (KROBAK thread few threads below yours)
StarsongAgeless View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2007 at 11:11
Hi there!  Glad to see another new band on this part of the site.  Here's some feedback for you.

'The Descent of Atlantis' - This one has a very slow tempo that made it drag a bit in parts (I think because there wasn't much filling the space), but the electric guitar really helped this out and gave it more texture.  I like the contrast between the sparse and full parts, and the guitar solo over the soft piano/keyboard worked pretty well.  This reminds me of some parts of Renaissance records.  There was a brief, rising part right in the middle of the song that I loved, it reminded me a lot of Mozart, actually!  The switch afterward to the more active style of piano playing was welcome, definitely a good change, and the song moved along more in this part and the faster part toward the end.  Overall a good song.

'It Was Light' - I love the way this one starts out.  Right from the start it has two nifty interweaving parts that ft great.  The more sparse part that follows reminds me of a lot of smooth jazz, which is not my cup of tea, but a lot of people do like that style and you play it well!  I like how the bass comes in strongly right after that, and how the song is alternatingly softly beautiful and energetic in rapid succession.  I'm starting to get a very King Crimson meets Jethro Tull meets Cabaret (the musical) in this song's structure.  The vocal harmonies starting 2/3 of the way through are fantastic and add a lot to the song.  I like this one better than the first song, overall very good.

'Gist of a Battle' - Nice job at a space rock feel at the beginning!  Interestingly once the bass riff starts this song reminds me a lot of Jethro Tull again even though they aren't specifically in your list of influences.  I think you did a great job with the progression of this song, the bass riff leading into a very good guitar riff, with the piano adding little nuances, and splashes of space rock in there.  This song doesn't sit in one place for long.  It reminds me of when you speed up a video and lots of images pass by a little too fast for you to take them in (I like this effect in the song).  The sudden slow-down with the soft piano and sliding guitar is a great addition.  Another very good song.

'Redemption' - The piano part at the beginning is quite pretty, and it gets prettier when the guitar comes in.  I like the sudden change to the darker, more rockish sound.  The guitar solo after the first singing part is so uplifting!  I think this song is my favorite of the four.  It doesn't change as often as 'Gist of a Battle' (and I love change in a song), but the parts in this one just come together so well, and parts of it are so lovely and hopeful.

I think you guys are very good songwriters, and I think you work well together.  I like the singing a lot too (a great relief from a lot of the operatic-style singers in bands like Iron Maiden, Nevermore and Dream Theater, those types of singers tend to distract me from the music rather than add to my enjoyment of it).  Every one of you has some nifty parts specifically for your instrument in there, too, which I find very enjoyable.  Good job!
Check out the Unsigned Bands section!
"Like the time I ran away, and turned around and you were standing close to me." Yes' Awaken
 Post Reply Post Reply