Topic ClosedRosfest 2007 Review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rosfest 2007 Review
    Posted: May 07 2007 at 22:15
Folks

I had a wonderful time at Rosfest this year. Better for me than last year. I got there a little early so I had plenty of time to stop by the Hotel and freshen up. As I drove into Phoenixville I saw the Cafe on the corner just down from the Colonial Theatre venue where last year I enjoyed catching some peace and quiet. I still go there sometimes to relax between the acts. A little trivia about the Colonial Theater ... the site was the used in a scene from the infamous movie from years back - THE BLOB (remember people running out of the theater). Yes it was nice to be back. Within 10 minutes I began seeing familiar faces. Throughout the weekend I got to spend time with Magic Pies manager Erling Lana Lane Brigitte from Montreal Donna Kenneth Tina and her kids which I see at most of these festivals and I also got to hang with some new people like Oliver Wakeman and folks from Pendragon. It was great to see them again.

So its Friday night The atmosphere was nice. The show was slightly delayed later I found out that this was due to the lighting guy who was either late and-or not being very cooperative. Friday nights acts started out with Tempustry an electronic band with two guys one that played most of the music and drums while the other one looked almost like he was an afterthought (didnt play much) they didnt do much for me. Next came Puppet Show. I was curious about this band as I had recently been introduced to them via progrockradio.com. For some reason they also didnt stand out for me as well. I didnt keep track of set lists... just too much going on. I was going in and out of the venue meeting people. Then came Starcastle and I was surprised to see a young rather tall guy with long blond hair playing keys. This was Oliver Wakeman. Cool... I always wanted to see him play. This was going to be good. Of course they played lady of the lake and many other songs. They are planning a tour soon. with three guitarists the band was sounding pretty good. The crowd really got into it. At one point they said they had a special song to do in memory of their musicians that passed away some time ago and they introduced their guest vocalist... well that person was Annie Haslam. The song they did together was touching.

I got back to the hotel late ... actually it was early Saturday morning due to the delays earlier in the day. I managed to only get about 4 hours of sleep before it was time to get up and get ready for the first act the Rocket Scientists. I didnt want to miss that one. I had Interviewed Erik Norlander from Rocket Scientists in the fall of last year. I must admit I was hoping that Lana Lane would make an appearance but I didnt see her first off. The Rocket Scientists featured a couple of Dutchman in the band the drummer and guitarist. The drummer started with some impressive playing and juggling of the drum sticks. The guitarist was a strong stage performer and laid down some pretty impressive licks. Erik played well also. The band pleased a lot of people in the crowd. Then as I had hoped Erik introduced a special guest (Lana Lane). They did a few songs together including one of Lanas songs from the Lady Macbeth album. What a voice! Next was Galahad and Carptree. While I listened to several songs for both bands. While they were interesting bands they didnt do much for me so I left and was hanging around with people from Magic Pie and had the delightful opportunity to speak with the warm hearted Lana Lane (it was nice to speak with her in Dutch - her mother is Dutch and she speaks pretty well). I also got a moment to sit down and have a drink with Oliver Wakeman who is a very pleasant person. That evening was Pendragon and Nick Barret does such a beautiful job on the guitar and vocals. Clive Nolan played very tasteful keyboards using some interesting textures and sounds (patches) that set him apart from other acts. A great act.

Now I was looking forward to Saturday nights party at the hotel which would include a musicians jam session. When I got back to the hotel Erik Norlander Don Schiff and some others were already jamming. I thought it was a bit loud and hard for people to talk. In the other acoustic room Alan from Magic Pie was playing an acoustic guitar and singing Bowies Ziggy Stardust (a favorite of mine). After he finished I was speaking to Brigitte from Montreal and then I got up and I finally decided to grab the guitar and play for a while (it was late and I was tired but what the hell). I think Spocks beard was jamming in the other room. Unfortunately was voice was shot with a cold that I have had all week. But I managed to have fun playing some guitar. Others joined in and we played Hotel California and a Beatles tune. At one point George (organizer of Rosfest) played congas with me while I played one of my original songs. All in all a good nights fun.
Sunday looked like it was going to be a great lineup as well. I couldnt wait to see Darwins Radio (a band from the UK). These guys were just wonderful and the lead singer and guitar player was quite impressive. All in all the band had a great proggy sound of a symphonic rock band with nice vocals hammond organ great fret work a tight band. One of my favorite bands of the festival. I recommend their only album as well. Ill say again that up to this point none of the quitarists really impressed me until I saw this Mark Westworth from Darwins radio. Then came the Retroheads from Norway. They were a creative bunch but the singer was a little too nervous. Their music has potential and the female backup singers/flute player was very dynamic on stage with a nice voice herself. After the break came my friends Magic Pie. Last night I had already heard their new CD and the intro song from the album started to play recording. then the band came on stage.. Well.. this band has been talked about so much since they stole the show last year. They looked like they were going to do that again. Kim Stenberg is a master of the guitar and is certainly a virtuoso of the instrument and his manager says he is totally self taught. The band was joyful and in several songs all members minus the drummer maybe sang together . That was really nice. The band just blew everyone away. At the end everyone yes the entire crowd was singing the lyrics There will be a brighter tomorrow It was beautiful ending to their set. The band highly anticipated performed up to all expectations and beyond.

Summing it all up my favorite acts of the festival were:

Starcastle
Pendragon
Darwins Radio
Magic Pie
Spocks Beard

Great festival!

Pictures will be posted here soon!!!

Anton
aroolaart View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2007 at 22:19
As promised ... here are some pictures...
Enjoy!!!

Anton

ROCKET SCIENTISTS

ROCKET SCIENTISTS & LANA LANE

OUTSIDE COLONIAL THEATER

LANA LANE AND ANTON

CARPTREE

PENDRAGON

NICK BARRETT (PENDRAGON)

PENDRAGON

OLIVER WAKEMAN AND ANTON

JESTER'S UPSTAIRS (VENDOR ROOM)

RETROHEADS

RETROHEADS

RETROHEADS

ERLING (MANAGER) AND MAGIC PIE

DARWIN'S RADIO WITH ANTON IN THE MIDDLE

MAGIC PIE

MAGIC PIE

MAGIC PIE

MAGIC PIE

ALEC, DONNA AND FRIENDS

NICK BARRETT AND ANTON

RETROHEADS AND ANTON AT THE BAR

SPOCK'S BEARD

Edited by aroolaart - May 07 2007 at 22:20
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2007 at 22:26
Thanks a lot for sharing both your experience and the pics!
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2007 at 22:27
Also, I am looking forward to listening to your album Dreamer which I read very good reviews about.

Post Reply Post Reply