Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRUSH "Snakes and Arrows" Debut at #3

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: RUSH "Snakes and Arrows" Debut at #3
    Posted: May 10 2007 at 00:31

RUSH'S "SNAKES AND ARROWS" DEBUTS AT #3,

MARKING BAND'S HIGHEST U.S. PREMIERE IN 14 YEARS;

WORLD TOUR SET TO FOLLOW TRIUMPHANT RETURN

"SNAKES AND ARROWS," the acclaimed new album from Anthem/Atlantic recording group Rush, makes an impressive debut on the Billboard 200 this week, entering the chart in the #3 spot.  This marks Rush's highest chart debut since 1993, as well as the group's eleventh top ten album in the U.S.   The renowned rock trio's first new collection of original material in nearly five years proves they still have what it takes to produce explosive and innovative music.

"SNAKES AND ARROWS" has also debuted at #3 in the band's native Canada and at #13 in the UK, which marks the band's highest British chart ranking in 16 years.  In other international news, the album has premiered in the top ten in Sweden and Finland, and in the top twenty in Norway, the Netherlands, and Japan. 

Rush - Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson, and Neil Peart - will trumpet the release of "SNAKES AND ARROWS" with a full-scale world tour, the band's first since 2004's "An Evening with Rush:  30th Anniversary Tour."  The legendary trio will kick off the tour in June with a four-month trek across North America.  In October, the band will head to Europe for a series of much-anticipated performances.  (TOUR ITINERARY ATTACHED)

The triumphant debut of "SNAKES AND ARROWS" follows the recent premiere of the album's first single, "Far Cry."  The track was the #1 most-added song at rock radio and has hit the top five at mainstream rock outlets, with airplay on over 100 stations in the U.S.  The single's companion video was directed by Chris Mills and can be seen at: <http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid824493256>

Furthermore, Rush has been featured in a variety of national publications, highlighted by simultaneous cover stories on each member of the trio in Guitar One, Guitar World's Bass Guitar, and Drum! 

Since releasing their self-titled debut album in 1974, Rush has been universally regarded as one of the most inventive and compelling groups in rock, famed for Lee, Lifeson, and Peart's virtuoso musicianship, epic soundscapes, and dramatic lyricism.  The band's extraordinary body of work - which includes such acclaimed works as 1976's "2112," 1981's "MOVING PICTURES," 1996's "TEST FOR ECHO," and 2002's "VAPOR TRAILS" - has achieved worldwide sales exceeding 35 million units.

For additional information, please visit:  www.rush.com.

###

Ghandi 2 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2007 at 01:14
Can we ban the next person who makes a Snakes and Arrows thread? It would make me very happy. ;-)
lighthouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2007 at 01:32
I said in my review it was special ..  everybody thought .. oh yeah lighthouse hes a t**ser  .. well then lets see  
explodingjosh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2007 at 01:40
wow if it sells then it must be winner.Dead

Avril Lavigne is #1!!!
lighthouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2007 at 01:55
Originally posted by explodingjosh explodingjosh wrote:

Avril Lavigne is #1!!!
I know what you are saying..  but in this case it is a winner 

billbuckner View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2007 at 06:24
I guess I must be the best artist of all time, I have no sales! Approve
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2007 at 07:49
Some years ago someone posted a link saying their sales had already exceeded 40 million... oh well, whatever.

I think it's great that Rush can still chart so highly. I agree that sales doesn't automatically equate to quality, but surely any fan of prog or art rock can see the good in a band like Rush commanding such respect in the mainstream music press in 2007, and still selling millions of albums.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2007 at 11:06
Originally posted by explodingjosh explodingjosh wrote:

Avril Lavigne is #1!!!
No she's #4.

The point is that Rush are hardly cool are they so it IS a good sign that they are #3. We are talking about a band who's members are 55 YEARS OLD!!! They are Canadian and have a clean cut image. They are also damn fine musicians.

THE BIGGEST CULT BAND IN THE WORLD!!!!!Cool

Dream Theater has the most fanboys on this forum yet their highest postion ever in the same chart is #36 Wink

Codis View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2007 at 12:08
Brings to mind this article.
Grammy Award Winning Jethro Tull!
1989 Best Hard Rock/Metal Performance     
Ty1020 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2007 at 15:42
That's not really too surprising... probably because I'm Canadian though :P Rush is HUGE here. I'm in high school and EVERYBODY knows who Rush is... I've had plenty of conversations with non-musical friends and strangers alike about how much they like Far Cry or the new album in general. So, for those who think it's just the older generation supporting this band, it's not - they may be "old", but they're still notably popular with the younger crowd as well!
Anjoli View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2007 at 18:03

Rush entered at #6 in Sweden. Amazing!

I assume they will loose quite a bit on the charts for next week...

Wembley arena 10/10!
Unix View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2007 at 18:11
Originally posted by Ty1020 Ty1020 wrote:

That's not really too surprising... probably because I'm Canadian though :P Rush is HUGE here. I'm in high school and EVERYBODY knows who Rush is... I've had plenty of conversations with non-musical friends and strangers alike about how much they like Far Cry or the new album in general. So, for those who think it's just the older generation supporting this band, it's not - they may be "old", but they're still notably popular with the younger crowd as well!

As have I... I have a friend coming to their concert with me who, before Snakes and Arrows, had never really even heard Rush other than on the radio.  There are still many teenagers who love their music here, but I'm not sure its the same in the States.

Post Reply Post Reply