Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > I Have A Question For You......?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCould someone be sued for book-inspired song?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Could someone be sued for book-inspired song?
    Posted: May 11 2007 at 12:24
I've been wondering about this for a while now.  I realize there are many bands that create music based on Tolkein, but Tolkein is dead.  What if the author is alive, and still writing?  Could I potentially get sued for writing a song inspired by such a person's book or short story?  Do I need to get permission in writing from the author and/or pay them royalties?

Even if anyone knows of a website with good answers to these questions, I'd be grateful for a link!

EDIT:  I changed the thread title a bit to appease the grammar-gods...

And to clarify:

Could someone be lawfully sued for book-inspired song?  Considering some of the ridiculous lawsuits I've heard about, I'm sure just about anything is possible... but would someone bringing such a lawsuit actually have a case?

Edited by StarsongAgeless - May 17 2007 at 13:53
Check out the Unsigned Bands section!
"Like the time I ran away, and turned around and you were standing close to me." Yes' Awaken
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2007 at 12:26
^ even if an author is dead his/her work is still protected by copyright ... it varies from country to country, but usually it lasts as long as 70 years after the artist's death.
Man Erg View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2007 at 12:40
Camel grudgingly got permission from Paul Gallico to record the Snow Goose.

The reason that he nearly refused permission was because of the Mirage sleeve was very similar to the Camel cigarette box.Gallico was a vehement anti-smoker.

Do 'The Stanley' otherwise I'll thrash you with some rhubarb.
StarsongAgeless View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2007 at 13:03
Originally posted by Man Erg Man Erg wrote:

Camel grudgingly got permission from Paul Gallico to record the Snow Goose.

The reason that he nearly refused permission was because of the Mirage sleeve was very similar to the Camel cigarette box.Gallico was a vehement anti-smoker.

Aaah.  Interesting...

Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

^ even if an author is dead his/her work is still protected by copyright ... it varies from country to country, but usually it lasts as long as 70 years after the artist's death.

Yes, I do realize this... but does that mean all the bands who are writing Tolkein music are paying someone or getting permission to do it beforehand?    Could whoever owns the copyright now potentially bring a lawsuit against any of these people?

You see, I'm worried that for example, if I ask for permission and the author says no, well what the heck do I do then?  I suppose I'd have to completely change the lyrics?
"Like the time I ran away, and turned around and you were standing close to me." Yes' Awaken
StyLaZyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2007 at 13:16

I would say if the lyrics are not a blatant ripoff, a simple nod of acknowledgement for inspiration would suffice. Of course, I assume much here.

MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2007 at 13:29
" Yes, I do realize this... but does that mean all the bands who are writing Tolkein music are paying someone or getting permission to do it beforehand?    Could whoever owns the copyright now potentially bring a lawsuit against any of these people?"

Of course you can base your lyrics on a book without infringing copyright ... I'm sure that Marillion don't pay royalties to the Tolkien heirs just because they based their name on one the name of one of his books. But when you quote passages from the book you could infringe copyright, for example.
tuxon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2007 at 00:15
You can steel whatever you want as long as you don't excagerate, but even than it's hard to make a case, since basically everything is the same story.
I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2007 at 12:59
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

Of course you can base your lyrics on a book without infringing copyright ... I'm sure that Marillion don't pay royalties to the Tolkien heirs just because they based their name on one the name of one of his books. But when you quote passages from the book you could infringe copyright, for example.

Ah I see... I guess the difference is making something new that is inspired by something Vs. trying to pass off their work as if it were mine (which would be plaigerism) ?   I know in the U.S. there is a 'fair use' clause that protects at least parody, I just don't know the full extent of it.

cuncuna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2007 at 13:00
I don't write songs, so I guess not.
ĦBeware of the Bee!

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2007 at 02:59
Well I avoided the whole thing by just asking permission beforehand, and I got it.  But I do think this is a valid question... I sure don't actually know the answer.
 Post Reply Post Reply