Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThis needs to be said to the world, I am

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2007 at 23:45
Ok, whatever you guys are talking about, it doesnt matter....this is what matters here:

No, this is it, this is it.......The best.
BroSpence View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2007 at 23:48
Originally posted by Atomic_Rooster Atomic_Rooster wrote:

Ringo must be the single greatest drummer of all time *chokes on lies*

Ringo was and still is a great drummer.  Compared to Virgil Donati or Terry Bozzio he does not have the chops, but when Ringo played on those wondeful Beatles albums and his solo albums he added a whole depth to the sound.  Can you imagine listening to any Beatles song with a different drummer?  Think about Come Together.  That has one of the greatest beats ever.  Now think of that song with a more typical rock drummer playing over it like Keith Moon or Hal Blaine (session man).  The song would have changed direction completely and maybe would be interesting, but not nearly as good.  Ringo had a personal style which added to the music.

Originally posted by The Lost Chord The Lost Chord wrote:

Its not about him being the greatest drummer of all time, its about him being a part of the equation which produced the greates band of all time!Big%20smile

Nahh, He'll always be Mr. Conductor from Thomas the Train Engine to me and nothing more.

I must agree that they were the best pop band of all time though, but as far as rock goes, they aren't even recognizable as rock by today's standards

Today's rock standards are no different.  If its rock and roll and it rocks then you got something good.  Helter Skelter, Come Together, Why Don't We Do It In the Road, Taxman, And Your Bird Can Sing, Happiness is a Warm Gun, I Want You, Daytripper, and so forth are amazing songs.  They still kick ass and rock hard.  Beatles standars = Very high, very good,  today's rock standards = low and/or try to be the Beatles. 

Any Beatles song will sound twice as good as any modern pro-tools edited rock song.

Atomic_Rooster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2007 at 23:56
Originally posted by BroSpence BroSpence wrote:

Ringo was and still is a great drummer.  Compared to Virgil Donati or Terry Bozzio he does not have the chops, but when Ringo played on those wondeful Beatles albums and his solo albums he added a whole depth to the sound.  Can you imagine listening to any Beatles song with a different drummer?  Think about Come Together.  That has one of the greatest beats ever.  Now think of that song with a more typical rock drummer playing over it like Keith Moon or Hal Blaine (session man).  The song would have changed direction completely and maybe would be interesting, but not nearly as good.  Ringo had a personal style which added to the music.

I don't know how you can be so sure that another drummer wouldn't be just as good if not better without actually having heard it happen.  Another drummer may have written even more phenomenal parts.  However, Ringo's writing chops were even worse, much worse than the other members.

I can actually imagine The Beatles with a different drummer, and it seems pretty cool
I am but a servant of the mighty Fripp, the sound of whose loins shall forever be upon the tongues of his followers.
Cheesecakemouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2007 at 00:04
Originally posted by Atkingani Atkingani wrote:

Ok, opinions are opinions and I (we) will respect them all, right? Smile

Two notes:
1. We shouldn't probably be here if they didn't exist;
2. Check how many Beatles' songs were covered/revisited by our beloved prog-bands.

I disagree, Frank Zappa, Karlheinz Stockhausen, Edgar Varese the Jazz Masters (Davis Coltrane, Monk etc) Are just as important and wern't influenced by the Beatles

The Lost Chord View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2007 at 00:07
Please, no band has ever influenced more Huamn life than The Beatles. Please.

I know and love all of your bands, I love Zappa, I love alot......but Come on, The Beatles???? They are from another planet!

Edited by The Lost Chord - May 13 2007 at 00:08
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2007 at 00:47

...Come on, The Beatles???? They are from another planet!

Are they from Kobaia too?
Just a fanboy passin' through.
oracus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2007 at 00:49
I 've never understand why so many people love them.
I get bored when i listen to their songs..I dont know why..

I have always some suggestions about the best band ever when someone talks about the greatness of Beatles.

How about Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso, Magma, Gentle Giant, Area, Samla Mammas Manna, Le Orme, Museo Rosenbach, Finch, Premiata Forneria Marconi, Arti E Mestieri, Solaris, Deus Ex Machina, Itoiz, Maneige, Harmonium, Focus, Triana, Osanna... Oh there are so many...I can keep writing for hours..

Edited by oracus - May 13 2007 at 00:50

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2007 at 00:52

I know and love all of your bands, I love Zappa, I love alot......but Come on, The Beatles???? They are from another planet!

Just for the benefit of the people on this thread, I will create a rock music completely uninfluenced by The Beatles that has more influence on me than any other music and contains within itself more subjective truth than any other band's.  Having used this to gain a sense of person identity and furtherance of self, I will report the superiority of my music.

EDIT: I'm not joking

Edited by Atomic_Rooster - May 13 2007 at 00:53
I am but a servant of the mighty Fripp, the sound of whose loins shall forever be upon the tongues of his followers.
rileydog22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2007 at 01:00

Just for the benefit of the people on this thread, I will create a rock music completely uninfluenced by The Beatles that has more influence on me than any other music and contains within itself more subjective truth than any other band's.  Having used this to gain a sense of person identity and furtherance of self, I will report the superiority of my music.

Put up some of it, while you're at it.  I'd like to hear your mad skillzzzzz. 

Chus View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2007 at 01:00

That's impossible, Fripp is already ahead
Jesus Gabriel
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2007 at 01:02
Originally posted by Atkingani Atkingani wrote:

Ok, opinions are opinions and I (we) will respect them all, right? Smile

Two notes:
1. We shouldn't probably be here if they didn't exist;
2. Check how many Beatles' songs were covered/revisited by our beloved prog-bands.

But The Beatles were still just Proto-Prog and Proto is inherently inferior Wink -- nah, I don't really think inferior, just primitive comparitively.  They were on the right path, though.  It took other more accomplished musicians and composers to "get there" one might say (but there, wherever that is, and the weight of significance, is in the eye of the beholder -- of course I talk of Proggy fields forever).  But they helped pathe the path towards fertile ground.

Anyway, I like them.  I still prefer the musicians post-Beatles work though  Paul McCartney and Wings, John Lennon's great songs, Harrison's material, and Ringo in the movie Caveman, masterful!

My favourite Beatles moment comes from the final episode of The Prisoner when "All You Need is Love" is being played in an ironic fashion.

The Prisoner fans will get this silly little composite of mine:

Edited by Logan - May 13 2007 at 01:04
Just a fanboy passin' through.
rileydog22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2007 at 01:02
Originally posted by Chus Chus wrote:

Fripp was Beatles-influenced; KC would perform Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds at early concerts.  Unfortunately, it appears that no recording exists of the band playing the song, as it was so early in their career. 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2007 at 01:10
Originally posted by rileydog22 rileydog22 wrote:

Put up some of it, while you're at it.  I'd like to hear your mad skillzzzzz. 

well, the point of this is to create a personal music, so I probably won't bother to record it, and it may very well be meaningless to anyone else, unless your subjective truth is of similar accord
Chus View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2007 at 01:11

Fripp was Beatles-influenced; KC would perform Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds at early concerts.  Unfortunately, it appears that no recording exists of the band playing the song, as it was so early in their career. 

Atomic Rooster might not appreciate that commentEvil%20Smile
Jesus Gabriel
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2007 at 01:15

Atomic Rooster might not appreciate that commentEvil%20Smile

Don't get me wrong, I like the Beatles a bit, I just feel that they are very overrated; but its understandable that Fripp might be influenced by them, though it was clear during the mid-70's version of Krimson that he had shed their influence almost entirely in favor of jazz and modernist stylings
Chus View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2007 at 01:17
Well what was Happy Family (the song) about?Wink 
Jesus Gabriel
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2007 at 01:19
well, I meant the Red/Lark's Tongue/Starless period, but yeah, Lizard did have a tribute to the Beetles
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2007 at 01:27

back up your statement

Edited by Cheesecakemouse - May 13 2007 at 01:28

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2007 at 01:29

The Beatles are, were, and always will be the greatest band to ever exist on this Earth, and for the Human Race in general.

God Bless the brilliance of this band, all of the members, everything involved with them, all pure beauty, impacting the lives of countless amounts of people.

ClapClapClapClapClapClap

I think you started this thread to wind people up.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2007 at 01:36
Originally posted by Cheesecakemouse Cheesecakemouse wrote:

The Beatles are, were, and always will be the greatest band to ever exist on this Earth, and for the Human Race in general.

God Bless the brilliance of this band, all of the members, everything involved with them, all pure beauty, impacting the lives of countless amounts of people.

ClapClapClapClapClapClap

I think you started this thread to wind people up.

We should lynch him with rock salt and loaves of barley
and then give him the old Amish Shunnin'
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>