Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThis needs to be said to the world, I am

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2007 at 20:57
Originally posted by Atomic_Rooster Atomic_Rooster wrote:

Originally posted by BroSpence BroSpence wrote:

Ringo must be the single greatest drummer of all time *chokes on lies*

Ringo was and still is a great drummer.  Compared to Virgil Donati or Terry Bozzio he does not have the chops, but when Ringo played on those wondeful Beatles albums and his solo albums he added a whole depth to the sound.  Can you imagine listening to any Beatles song with a different drummer?  Think about Come Together.  That has one of the greatest beats ever.  Now think of that song with a more typical rock drummer playing over it like Keith Moon or Hal Blaine (session man).  The song would have changed direction completely and maybe would be interesting, but not nearly as good.  Ringo had a personal style which added to the music.

I don't know how you can be so sure that another drummer wouldn't be just as good if not better without actually having heard it happen.  Another drummer may have written even more phenomenal parts.  However, Ringo's writing chops were even worse, much worse than the other members.

I can actually imagine The Beatles with a different drummer, and it seems pretty cool

I can be so sure because I have the evidence of Ringo playing great on great songs.  Another drummer would have changed things complete because everyone has their own feel and style.  Ringo played the perfect amount to make the drums noticeble and good sounding.  The drum parts fit perfectly with all the other instruments' parts.  Also Ringo was not a strong songwriter (George helped him on a number of occasions) however, he had a nice voice, and wrote Don't Pass Me By which is a good song.  His first few solo albums are pretty good too.  Rngo ,the album, was a brilliant album that even featured all former Beatles and other great guests like Hal Blaine, Marc Bolan, maybe Mick Ronson (can't remember) and many others. 

Originally posted by oracus oracus wrote:

I have always some suggestions about the best band ever when someone talks about the greatness of Beatles.

How about Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso, Magma, Gentle Giant, Area, Samla Mammas Manna, Le Orme, Museo Rosenbach, Finch, Premiata Forneria Marconi, Arti E Mestieri, Solaris, Deus Ex Machina, Itoiz, Maneige, Harmonium, Focus, Triana, Osanna... Oh there are so many...I can keep writing for hours..

Those bands are good and all, but the Beatles were able to write really great songs that could be enjoyed by a lot of people.  It didn't matter what you believe, who you were, what you looked like, the songs of the Beatles sounded great.  A lot of people simply don't enjoy things like Gentle Giant.  Which isn't bad or good.  Its their taste.  Some people don't like the Beatles, but that doesn't mean they aren't great.  I think if you can manage to do what you want and make it sound really really f**king good (As the beatles did) while managing to communicate to a large audience you must be really really really great.  Hell Sgt. Peppers was made in part to get away from the massive attention and hyteric audiences.  It was supposed to be their weird underground not for everyone album.  Look how that turned out.

Originally posted by The Lost Chord The Lost Chord wrote:

Please, no band has ever influenced more Huamn life than The Beatles. Please.

I know and love all of your bands, I love Zappa, I love alot......but Come on, The Beatles???? They are from another planet!

Just for the benefit of the people on this thread, I will create a rock music completely uninfluenced by The Beatles that has more influence on me than any other music and contains within itself more subjective truth than any other band's.  Having used this to gain a sense of person identity and furtherance of self, I will report the superiority of my music.

EDIT: I'm not joking

Thats qute impossible.  You've heard the Beatles haven't you? So...how do you think you're going to make music not influenced by them if you've heard them?

Originally posted by Progger Progger wrote:

Originally posted by BroSpence BroSpence wrote:

Ringo must be the single greatest drummer of all time *chokes on lies*

[QUOTE] Ringo was and still is a great drummer.  Compared to Virgil Donati or Terry Bozzio he does not have the chops, but when Ringo played on those wondeful Beatles albums and his solo albums he added a whole depth to the sound.  Can you imagine listening to any Beatles song with a different drummer?  Think about Come Together.  That has one of the greatest beats ever.  [QUOTE]

I'm not an expert on Beatles trivia but I'm damn sure Paul Mcartney plays drums on 'Come Together'.

They were'nt the greatest band but Lennon & McCartney were the greatest songwriters!

Paul can play drums, but it was Ringo that played on that track.  Also that was ONE example of a great Ringo beat.

[QUOTE=chessman]I was born, and still live, in Liverpool. I remember The Beatles at the height of their fame. My sister, a good few years older than me, danced with Paul McCartney at the Cavern in the early days, and I know many people here who met them, or had some association with them.
I can assure everyone that they were far from the best band of all time!
The most influencial of all time, yes, without a doubt. They changed music history. And they wrote some very good songs. They also wrote some rubbish, like most bands do, and they were, by their own admission, average musicians. You'd be surprised how many people here in Liverpool, even now, don't rate them very highly. A classic case of a band being in the right place at the right time.
I'm not saying all this to put them down. They were certainly good at what they did. But I am just adding some balance to the picture painted of them.
(Something that always makes me laugh is the amount of tourists who come here and visit 'The Cavern', not knowing that it isn't the original place were they played - the original was knocked down and is round the corner from the new one.)
But I did have some Beatles albums, mainly stereo ones from Germany that my brother-in-law brought back with him when in the army. My favourite Beatles period was the early one - pre '65. Smile

Part of being great is being influential.  Also all the members in the group believed they were the best band at the time.  Not that that makes a difference, just as people from Liverpool not really thinking of them as the best nowadays makes a difference.  Hell Oasis was voted the best british band of all time or something like that a year or two ago in some UK poll. 
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2007 at 21:09
Just as Bach, Beethoven & Mozart occupy the top spots in the classical world; just as Louis Armstrong, Duke Ellington & Miles Davis (please note my knowledge here is limited) are the top jazz cats; just as Jimmy Reed, the Carter Family, Hank Williams are the cream of country;  the triumvirat for "Pop" music is Elvis, the Beatles & another act that will remain nameless as this kind of impact will likely never happen again.
If I may rephrase the original contention, it is that the Beatles are the band that had the biggest impact in "pop" music. "Pop" music is, at its' most elastic, generally understood to include a wide range of musical styles, but simply means music that the "masses" like or love. Elvis came along at the right time. Whether you believe he stole, ripped off or was the perfect combination of mid century american music influences , the fact remains that he stands as a musical icon with few matching the extent of his fame. And while history is the only determinant, it should be simple enough to say that at this period in time, his music will probably survive as many of the classical masters' opuses have done through the centuries, becoming part of the "canon". The same with the Beatles. It is too easy to ascribe much of their success to timing. Yes, their arrival, their progression , & the cultural shifts happening during this same decade meant that it came up as a "perfect storm", i.e. all the conditions were ripe for such an event. But the Beatles delivered their share & deserve their share of accolades for their status. Are they the "best" ? Who objectively can "know " ? But they are & have been the biggest selling act for years, their music has come down through the generations (interesting poll re ; teenagers music purchases - 20-30% of  Beatles, Zep, Pink Floyd record sales are  from  teenagers & young adults;  less than 5% for the Stones, the Doors,  & Elvis), and  they are likely the most "covered group  in  modern music history.  So in that way it could be said that they are the greatest.
But such a thing will never happen again. And this is because the "mainstream" no longer exists as it did even 5-6 years ago. With the democratisation of music making (home studios, internet, MP3s, digital downloads, pro tools etc ...) the niche is now king.
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2007 at 04:47
Sorry to intrude on the discussion in Progress...

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

The Beatles have a charming, whimsical naivety that appeals to me.  The feel-good, simplistic qualities can make me feel good when I'm in the mood for something light.  Fun stuff.  They did come out with some beautiful melodies, but their music generally lacks the multi-layered textures, more complex harmonics, rhythms, nuances, and adventurousness that excites me.

When I fist played The Beatles for my Asian wife (still amazed she didn't really know their music, but of course she knew of their reputation and popularity) she exclaimed that she couldn't see what all the fuss about -- a piffle for her and more of a delightful souffle for me.

Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

Now that all depends on which Beatles songs you listened to - I can't believe you listened to the entire catalogue in one sitting...

Certainly not, my wife wouldn't have stood for it.

If you're saying that "Eleanor Rigby" or "Tomorrow Never Knows" (as but two examples) lack multi-layered textures, complex harmonies and adventurousness, then you haven't listened to either.

Actually, I was not saying that.  I said that "their music generally lacks the multi-layered textures, more complex harmonics, rhythms, nuances, and adventurousness that excites me."  If you find their output mostly very satisfactory in regards to said qualities, and it excites you, fantastic. It has these qualities, but I find it still lacking for my tastes.

This is a bit of an aside:

I don't think, nay I know it, the "Fab 4" excelled at composition nor technique.  Nor do most rock bands for that matter.

As with E. Rigby, many (most I expect) of the songs that were best layered and had the best harmonies were scored, conducted, and arranged by their producer George Martin

I find the rhythms pleasing in the experimental "Tomorrow Never Knows."  It has interesting effects (tape loops, processed vocals, compression) -- a cleverly engineered song, and good ideas from the Beatles too.

But, to the general topic, I consider the Beatles much less of a band because they were so dependent on Martin's "musical expertise."  They were quite dependant on help to flesh out their ideas.  It doesn't make the songs bad, of course, though I still don't find them great, but I have more respect for musician's musicians and composer's composers.  These guys seriously lacked serious training.

They got by with a lot of help from their friends.

Originally posted by Cert Cert wrote:

As for rhythms, I'd challenge you to find anything more exciting in early 1960s rock music.

I'll pass that challenge back to you as that period of rock is not of particular interest to me.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any rock that is more exciting rhythmically before the mid-sixties than the Beatles early albums.  But then I'm not really excited by early 60's rock to tell the truth (I far prefer jazz from that time).

I'm much more interested in the Beatles mid-sixties to seventy period, and I can think of a great many bands from that time that excite me more rhythmically and otherwise.  But hey, that's me.

I still like The Beatles, but they don't wow me anymore.  Historically important?  Absolutely.  Influential?  Assuredly.  Groundbreaking? I won't deny the impact of their albums.  Were the band members as gifted, versatile, and skilled as a great many other musicians/ composers of their time, before their time, or after their time (I offered no temporal or genre limits in my former post)?  I say no.  Could they have done it on their own?  Very doubtful.  But nothing uncommon about that of course.

Edited by Logan - May 14 2007 at 04:50
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Cheesecakemouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2007 at 05:17
Don't forget that their producer was the one that added the strings, and did many innovations that Lennon and McCartney got credit for.

Edited by Cheesecakemouse - May 14 2007 at 05:18

Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2007 at 07:16

I don't think, nay I know it, the "Fab 4" excelled at composition nor technique.  Nor do most rock bands for that matter.

Indeed - but, and this is the crucial point on a forum about rock music, for a rock band, they were and remain aurally exciting in many ways.

As with E. Rigby, many (most I expect) of the songs that were best layered and had the best harmonies were scored, conducted, and arranged by their producer George Martin

I find the rhythms pleasing in the experimental "Tomorrow Never Knows."  It has interesting effects (tape loops, processed vocals, compression) -- a cleverly engineered song, and good ideas from the Beatles too.

Yes, and Martin was often cited as the fifth Beatle, due to his significant input on the arranging side - but there's no getting away from the fact that the songs were written by the guys themselves.

But, to the general topic, I consider the Beatles much less of a band because they were so dependent on Martin's "musical expertise."  They were quite dependant on help to flesh out their ideas.  It doesn't make the songs bad, of course, though I still don't find them great, but I have more respect for musician's musicians and composer's composers.  These guys seriously lacked serious training.

They got by with a lot of help from their friends.

See above - about Martin and the arrangements.

The fab 4 were no slouches in the songwriting department - by not acknowledging that, you show your lack of knowledge in the field of songwriting.

As for rhythms, I'd challenge you to find anything more exciting in early 1960s rock music.

I'll pass that challenge back to you as that period of rock is not of particular interest to me.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any rock that is more exciting rhythmically before the mid-sixties than the Beatles early albums.  But then I'm not really excited by early 60's rock to tell the truth (I far prefer jazz from that time).

You're not a rock historian of any kind then, as that period - specifically 1965-67 is of immense interest because that is when rock changed from the simple songs of the 1950s onward into the more complex beast we appreciate on this forum. It's an absolutely fascinating and critical time in rock history.

I'm much more interested in the Beatles mid-sixties to seventy period, and I can think of a great many bands from that time that excite me more rhythmically and otherwise.  But hey, that's me.

I still like The Beatles, but they don't wow me anymore.  Historically important?  Absolutely.  Influential?  Assuredly.  Groundbreaking? I won't deny the impact of their albums.  Were the band members as gifted, versatile, and skilled as a great many other musicians/ composers of their time, before their time, or after their time (I offered no temporal or genre limits in my former post)?  I say no.  Could they have done it on their own?  Very doubtful.  But nothing uncommon about that of course.

It is doubtful they could have done it without either Epstein or Martin, as Marketing has been important to rock music since Elvis Presley/Colonel Parker - but their own songs are so much stronger than the material available for them to cover at the time (as evidenced on their albums before "Rubber Soul") that it is a nonsense to say that they were less gifted, versatile or skilles as composers or musicians in rock music at that time - all the recorded evidence is to the contrary - and if you have no interest in that period of music, then how can you possibly pass judgement?

If you're not taking the music in its proper context, then it's still very difficult to find songwriters in the popular music arena that are as accomplished as the Beatles - and you HAVE to set genre limits, as there is absolutely no point in comparing the Beatles with song maestros like Schubert, the Italian School and so on - you said it yourself, they had no training, which is the most remarkable thing about them.

They weren't composers of art music until later in their careers, but composers of folk songs. And at that, they are still unsurpassed.

It goes without saying that their later material evolved from the earlier material, so by acknowledging that the later material holds interest it follows that the earlier must.

I'm not asking you to like it - but to dismiss the Beatles as either a piffle or a souffle without context is akin to dismissing potatoes as a common vegetable.

I like potatoes - and souffle.  Big%20smile

Edited by Certif1ed - May 14 2007 at 07:17
The important thing is not to stop questioning.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2007 at 10:52

Yes, and Martin was often cited as the fifth Beatle, due to his significant input on the arranging side - but there's no getting away from the fact that the songs were written by the guys themselves.

This I know.

Quote See above - about Martin and the arrangements.

Read it just a few seconds ago, my memory isn't so bad that I need to re-read it.  LOL

Quote The fab 4 were no slouches in the songwriting department - by not acknowledging that, you show your lack of knowledge in the field of songwriting.

Are you positive that that must be the case and there could be no possible other reason for such an omission? A bit presumptuous (not that I would ever claim to be an authority in the "Strawberry Fields" *pun for puns sake* of songwriting ).  I do recognise them as good songwriters.  In fact I take that as a given, but perhaps it does indicate something of my interests in that I did not feel it necessary to include that in aid of my thoughts on this subject. At least on page two of this thread I mentioned John Lennon's good songs.

You're not a rock historian of any kind then, as that period - specifically 1965-67 is of immense interest because that is when rock changed from the simple songs of the 1950s onward into the more complex beast we appreciate on this forum. It's an absolutely fascinating and critical time in rock history.

Never claimed to be a rock historian, so the jibe seems unnecessary.  I have no qualms in claiming that I am a music lover who knows something about music history,  In fact, I said that I am not particularly interested in early 60's rock music (I don't enjoy it so much) but my next sentence was meant to indicate that I am more interested in the mid-sixties up (from 1965 on in fact because of the reasons you noted).  Did I have to spell that out?

Quote It is doubtful they could have done it without either Epstein or Martin, as Marketing has been important to rock music since Elvis Presley/Colonel Parker - but their own songs are so much stronger than the material available for them to cover at the time (as evidenced on their albums before "Rubber Soul") that it is a nonsense to say that they were less gifted, versatile or skilles as composers or musicians in rock music at that time - all the recorded evidence is to the contrary - and if you have no interest in that period of music, then how can you possibly pass judgement?

Of course I'm well aware of the marketing in music... But it seems my writing didn't come across again.  I did not say that they were less skilled etc. than composers or musicians in rock music at that time, I said that there were many composers/ musicians who were more talented... I deliberately chose to say both before during and after as well as a comment to allude to the fact that I was not specifically referring to the rock genre or defining temporal limits as an absurd-ist riposte to a  former comment of yours (your challenge to me to find a band from the early 60s that was as rhythmically exciting).  It was just meant as a bit of fun in response to the temporal and genre boundaries you set in your challenge.  Really, I had initially just meant that the Beatles rhythmic approaches do not appeal much to me (especially their early stuff it must be said...)  Nothing wrong with your challenge, you were just approaching it from a different angle than I was initially.

Did I ever say I have no interest in that period?  I said I'm not particularly interested in the early 60s rock music (really I don't enjoy listening to much music of this time).  At one time I liked it more.  And I once was more into the Beatles and had all of their albums (albeit hand-me-downs from my brothers).  It's just that I have found more rock music of interest from the mid-'60s up: '65 to 67 are great years... I like much more rock music from '65-69 than '60-64 as would most people here.  I guess this time I could have said see above.

Quote If you're not taking the music in its proper context, then it's still very difficult to find songwriters in the popular music arena that are as accomplished as the Beatles - and you HAVE to set genre limits, as there is absolutely no point in comparing the Beatles with song maestros like Schubert, the Italian School and so on - you said it yourself, they had no training, which is the most remarkable thing about them.

When analysing the music one must look at it in the proper context, obviously.  But this all referred back to the initial post you quoted which was really about me saying it's not to my taste for such and such a reason.  Prog rock was my initial yardstick as this topic was raised in the Prog forum initially, and of course that this is being posited at a Prog board as THE best band.  Proto-Prog classified bands very rarely appeal nearly so much to me as the Prog bands as I enjoy.

While The Beatles were influential and helped pave the way for Progressive rock (as I said in an earlier post here), I do not consider them to be at the same level as the Prog bands that came out, well, not many years later.  Not that I can expect it as rock music evolved... and darned quickly, and they played a big part in that.

Quote They weren't composers of art music until later in their careers, but composers of folk songs. And at that, they are still unsurpassed.

Well that's subjective (I mean I've been approaching this more from a subjective angle and you've been going more for objective evaluation). So many great folk song composers.

Quote It goes without saying that their later material evolved from the earlier material, so by acknowledging that the later material holds interest it follows that the earlier must.

In my case, while I once enjoyed the early material, I don't much anymore.  Interesting from an evolution standpoint, but not so much from an enjoyment of the music itself standpoint for me.

I'm not asking you to like it - but to dismiss the Beatles as either a piffle or a souffle without context is akin to dismissing potatoes as a common vegetable.

I like potatoes - and souffle.  Big%20smile

When my wife called it "a piffle" (a word I had taught her) I thought my it's more of a souffle response kind of clever at the time.  I was actually rather displeased at the time that she so casually disregarded the music  come to think of it.

Edited by Logan - May 14 2007 at 11:03
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2007 at 15:12

OK, it's the complete lack of context that made your initial post so baffling.

I was merely probing to find out your reasons for dismissing the music as lightweight (something you made clearly apparent). My statements weren't intended as jibes - but I must admit I found it hard to conceal my incredulity at the apparent naievity of some of the statements coming from someone who clearly has an appreciation for fine music.

I would remind you that this is the Proto-Prog lounge... Wink
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2007 at 17:21
Cheeky me often does have tongue planted in cheek[s] (loosely or firmly).  Sometimes my absurd-tickle-me-bone just gets in the way of healthy discussion and leads to confusion.

Kind of you to remind me, but completely unnecessary.  Although this topic was originally planted in the Prog forum, I couldn't help but notice the move, but I'm sure you recognise that already from reading my last post (I'd actually said some more on that originally but deleted most of the text).

As I said in my second post in this topic cheekily in response to Atkingani "But The Beatles were still just Proto-Prog and Proto is inherently inferior Wink -- nah, I don't really think inferior, just primitive comparatively."

While the Proto-Prog section is for discussing Proto-Prog bands, and therefore it is usually best to draw comparisons to other of like ilk, considering the opening statement, ludicrous and hyperbolic though it is in a sense, is "The Beatles are, were, and always will be the greatest band to ever exist on this Earth, and for the Human Race in general" that opened the doors wide for mentioning bands of any genre as I, and others saw it.  Therefore I have no problem using Prog as a yardstick -- especially as this topic, as I recall, was originally placed in the Prog forum, an act which is likely to cause people to draw even more comparison between the Beatles and pure Prog bands.  Some do consider the Beatles a true  Prog band for their later work.

However, I can't deny that the Beatles is greater in a sense than any other band, nor can I say for certain that they will not always be the greatest.  I started defining/ coming up with synonyms for greatest when I saw this topic -- preeminent, grandiose, biggest, most important and noteworthy, most worthy of attention, most distinguished and prominent, the most outstanding, the best.  Not the greatest as in best in my opinion, most importantly not the best for me, but I won't deny their massive stature and popularity. I won't deny that people love them; been there myself, and I still enjoy them for what they are rather than what they are not.

I may love Hatfield and the North, for instance, but did mad Hatter-mania ever rival Beatlemania? No (though Peter North had plenty of fans).  I may love Henry Cow, but when Bart Simpson uttered "Don't have a Cow, man" was it an homage to Henry Cow? No.. erm, maybe.  Probably not..  I may love Magma, but did Kobaian supplant Esperanto as the proposed international language?  No.  Did the girls start screaming when Gentle Giant flew in? Weathers can have that effect, you know. Ahhh! Walk softly but carry a Giant stick.  Did Comus induce comas due to worldwide excitement?  Okay that got old really fast.

"God Bless the brilliance of this band, all of the members, everything involved with them, all pure beauty, impacting the lives of countless amounts of people."

Wonderful, heart-warming positive sentiments.  In fact, I'll apologise to TLC for helping to derail what should have been a love-in as I really like the way he expressed his first post. The greatest for him and for many others, and who am I to poo-poo that?

In honour of TLC and the Beatles, I will play Magical Mystery Tour from start to finish.  Ah, it's good to be the Egg Man again -- koo koo koo choo.  I had forgotten just how much I like them (Progressive Rock corrupted me -- no, a certain Prog Snob mentality somehow got a hold of me -- I blame it on bad influences here since I used to be so nice Wink).

I've always liked the Beatles, sometimes it just takes some TLC flower-power to get you back into the groove-y.

Totally changed my mind on this. I'm now seeing things through rose-tinted kaleidoscope eyes... The colours man, the colours.  What a trip!

Bravo for the Beatles!!! ClapClapClap I seriously mean it.

Edited by Logan - May 14 2007 at 17:29
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2007 at 02:55

Cheeky me often does have tongue planted in cheek[s] (loosely or firmly).  Sometimes my absurd-tickle-me-bone just gets in the way of healthy discussion and leads to confusion.

Indeed - I know the problem... Wink

While the Proto-Prog section is for discussing Proto-Prog bands, and therefore it is usually best to draw comparisons to other of like ilk, considering the opening statement, ludicrous and hyperbolic though it is in a sense, is "The Beatles are, were, and always will be the greatest band to ever exist on this Earth, and for the Human Race in general" that opened the doors wide for mentioning bands of any genre as I, and others saw it.  Therefore I have no problem using Prog as a yardstick -- especially as this topic, as I recall, was originally placed in the Prog forum, an act which is likely to cause people to draw even more comparison between the Beatles and pure Prog bands.  Some do consider the Beatles a true  Prog band for their later work.

I agree that the opening statement was rather OTT - I guess I've just got used to TLC's style, and didn't take him at his word.

I wouldn't take all of prog as a yardstick - there are so many poor songwriters in Prog, and the music of the genre as a whole is not a useful thing to use as a comparison, IMO.

In honour of TLC and the Beatles, I will play Magical Mystery Tour from start to finish.  Ah, it's good to be the Egg Man again -- koo koo koo choo.  I had forgotten just how much I like them (Progressive Rock corrupted me -- no, a certain Prog Snob mentality somehow got a hold of me -- I blame it on bad influences here since I used to be so nice Wink).

...sorry about that Embarrassed

Bravo for the Beatles!!! ClapClapClap I seriously mean it.

I'll second that - my MFSL copy of MMT arrived only recently, and I've been hammering it - I'd forgotten just how good it is. Big%20smile
StyLaZyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2007 at 17:21

The Beatles are, were, and always will be the greatest band to ever exist on this Earth, and for the Human Race in general.

God Bless the brilliance of this band, all of the members, everything involved with them, all pure beauty, impacting the lives of countless amounts of people.

ClapClapClapClapClapClap

Wait, wait, wait.....

I thought Genesis was?

Wink

Edited by StyLaZyn - May 15 2007 at 17:21
progismylife View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2007 at 14:05
Originally posted by StyLaZyn StyLaZyn wrote:

The Beatles are, were, and always will be the greatest band to ever exist on this Earth, and for the Human Race in general.

God Bless the brilliance of this band, all of the members, everything involved with them, all pure beauty, impacting the lives of countless amounts of people.

ClapClapClapClapClapClap

Wait, wait, wait.....

I thought Genesis was?

Wink

Someone obviously did not read any posts, found on the previous page!  Stern%20Smile

Originally posted by Speesh Speesh wrote:

TLC, weren't you raving about how Genesis was the best band but a few weeks ago?

Originally posted by Ghandi 2 Ghandi 2 wrote:

No.

Speesh, Genesis were the best prog band. As The Beatles are not prog, there is a subtle difference.

Wink

Komodo dragon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2007 at 19:57
This is gone to far !LOL
purplepiper View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2007 at 00:38
king crimson is the greatest band ever. The beatles were the MOST POPULAR band ever. And by the way, the beatles are not prog!!! I think their music is fine though...not my favourite, but it's okay.
for those about to prog, we salute you.
Spyro View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2007 at 03:58
I think they are just OK nothing to get excited about  Big%20smile
billbuckner View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2007 at 06:25
I don't like them myself, but I doubt that many people could be wrong.
ghost_of_morphy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2007 at 22:23

yeah, but if we are to believe in science, then if the Beatles hadn't ever existed, another group would have filled the place they left vacant, so we shouldn't praise them for merely filling a gap in the evolutionary chain.  That's like praising a Neanderthal, if you believe evolution is viable, that is.

God help us, what would have happened if that band had been The Rolling Stones???
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234