Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2007 at 18:28
Originally posted by Zappa88 Zappa88 wrote:

Originally posted by toolis toolis wrote:

Harrison is a disappointment.. he doesn't excite me at all.. bring back Maitland... i've seen them both live, Chris is far better..

Clap

Of course you are entitled to your opinion but it is Gavin that is exciting the "drumming community" -  regardless of this poll. Many drummers are talking about him, and most are familiar with Chris Maitland's work.

Neil Peart for one is a big fan and so is Bill Bruford.

Edited by Tony R - May 21 2007 at 18:40
StyLaZyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2007 at 08:48
Originally posted by Tony R Tony R wrote:

Of course you are entitled to your opinion but it is Gavin that is exciting the "drumming community" -  regardless of this poll. Many drummers are talking about him, and most are familiar with Chris Maitland's work.

Tony, not that I don't believe you, but where did you read this? I can totally see why Peart would be a big fan. I also heard that the Rush band members were fans of PT, but again, I haven't seen it anywhere but here.  Maybe you could point me in the right direction. Wink

These are two of my favorite bands so this news is great.   Clap
Prog.Sylvie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2007 at 12:38
That's good news for Gavin. Congratulations! I will see Gavin playing next saturday with PT.  It will be the second time that I see him in action.  I am sure that he will blown us away.
C'est la vie
SignalToNoise View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2007 at 12:45
Originally posted by StyLaZyn StyLaZyn wrote:

Tony, not that I don't believe you, but where did you read this? I can totally see why Peart would be a big fan. I also heard that the Rush band members were fans of PT, but again, I haven't seen it anywhere but here.  Maybe you could point me in the right direction. Wink

At least I know that Alex (Lifeson) likes PT. Read it in a interview in german rock magazine 'eclipsed'. And I think that Peart with his style could also like Gavin's style.
I am Swiss, so don't kill me for this!

7yuc**paranoid android
Melomaniac View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2007 at 12:58
Originally posted by StyLaZyn StyLaZyn wrote:

These are two of my favorite bands so this news is great.   Clap

In one of Neil's books titled Traveling Music (in which he quotes The Sound of Muzak and talks about Gavin's "tasteful and elegant" drumming...
"One likes to believe in the freedom of Music" - Neil Peart, The Spirit of Radio
rushaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2007 at 12:22
Well. I just saw him perform again last night in Baltimore.  What a fantastic performance by Gavin (and the rest of the band for that matter).

endlessepic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2007 at 21:07
And rightly so...in the popular prog scene today, Gavin is very talented. He has a more rock approach then I usually enjoy (I like Buddy Rich type drumming) but I still love it!
Man Overboard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2007 at 11:12
I think Zoltan slays him, but until Zoltan's involved with an accessible mainstream album that gets radio play with 3-4 minute songs like FoaBP, he'll never appear in Modern Drummer.
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2007 at 13:25
Originally posted by Man Overboard Man Overboard wrote:

I think Zoltan slays him, but until Zoltan's involved with an accessible mainstream album that gets radio play with 3-4 minute songs like FoaBP, he'll never appear in Modern Drummer.

I doubt that you could count PT as mainstream..and FOABP has no no songs less than 5 minutes and neither of them tracks could be described as accessible. FOABP the title track is over 7 minutes. Even at Radio Edit length its hardly a pop song.
FOABP didnt make the top 50 in the USA and Deadwing didnt make the top 100.

If Gavin was the drummer for a band like Tool, NiN, RHCP or other mega-selling outfit then I could understand your claim.

You are entitled to your opinion mon ami but it is way out of step with the drumming community. Gavin Harrison is, to all intents and purposes, an obscure musician so his achievement is incredible and entirely merited.

Man Overboard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2007 at 20:31
The radio edit/video fits the current "hard rock" format pretty well...  as mentioned in another thread, I've seen people who know nothing at all of music raving about it, usually in association with being rebellious towards parents and such
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12