Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew from The End Records (Sleepy TGM+)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: New from The End Records (Sleepy TGM+)
    Posted: May 23 2007 at 09:24
The following is taken from the recent email of The End Records mailing list:

SLEEPYTIME GORILLA MUSEUM

Official Site: www.sleepytimegorillamuseum.com

Rock Against Rock pioneers SLEEPYTIME GORILLA MUSEUM have posted the video for the song 'Helpless Corpses Enactment' online. The song is off their forthcoming album 'In Glorious Times' out May 29th, 2007 on THE END RECORDS. To watch the video, click here: http://youtube.com/watch?v=ELyco68w5ks
The video was helmed by acclaimed New York director Adam Feinstein (Hoodwink, Say You Love Me), whose recent honors include a 2006 Emmy nomination, an Independent Spirit award, and prizes at the Tribeca Film Festival and the Los Angeles Film Festival. His work is marked by its electricity, drama, and sheer visual intensity. About the video, which was shot on location in Oakland, California and the Pacific coast, Feinstein comments, "I've been fascinated with SGM since I first heard them five years ago. I found their music inscrutable, beautiful, and profoundly original. I'm also a former concert player (violin), and I was bowled over by their level of technique. When we started to talk about a music video, I didn't know what song I'd be asked to work on. But from Sleepytime I knew to expect music that had invented its own rules, music that would challenge a video to keep up with it.  'Corpses' didn't disappoint! None of us wanted anything like a concert film - didn't want to see mic stands, guitars, drums.  Nobody really even liked the term 'music video.'  We didn't want to simulate what you could see at a live show.  I wanted to use the opportunity to tap the peculiar power of Sleepytime's music - to conjure up images as strange and direct as those in dreams." "We the Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, having stoicly pledged from our inception to hand-warm the hearts and minds of the rockus populus, have carved from our souls a lock of merchant ivory fabric, and gleefully transformed this fiber into a watchable and knowable lump of... moving song," says the band of the video. "Videos are often amazing... Look at "Dr. Feelgood" by Mötley Crüe, or "All I Want to Do Is Make Love to You" by Heart. In making our own music film, we've taken masterpieces of hot-blooded emotion like these and completely ignored them, perhaps alienating most of the world, but ultimately allowing us to claim allegiance to the bloodline of the great filmists of the 20th century." About work on the video shoot, the band states: "The weather was beautiful. People came out of the woodwork to help. 5 a.m. calls, fantastic food made by Dan's wife, Nieves. Nils dying of hypothermia in the chilled January Pacific ocean. Beguiling women washing their garments in the waves.  Adam Feinstein pacing the dunes with his iPod. Camera dollies on the piney underbed. Befriending park rangers, smelling orchids, stabbing pigs.  And of course, watching the final project with a glowing familial surge in our loins." The band has also relaunched their website in a new format, new layout and design, news updates and multimedia material.
Visit their official site here: http://www.sleepytimegorillamuseum.com
The band are returning to North America after a successful sold-out spring tour across North America with SECRET CHIEFS 3, as well their first ever headlining tour of Europe following that.The band are ready to embark at the end of May, this time in support of their new album. The album is now available for pre-order from THE END RECORDS' mailorder site THE OMEGA. The CD is available for pre-order in two formats:
Pre-order digipak of In Glorious Times. Pre-order here
and
Pre-Order package comes with In Glorious Times and a 13"x19" 4 Color Silkscreen Print on white stock that will be strictly limited to 100, get it while it lasts. Posters will be shipped rolled. Pre-order here
Also, an mp3 of the song ‘Helpless Corpses Enactment’ has been posted online and can be heard here. A video for the song is in post production and should be officially released in the coming weeks.

The track listing:
1. The Companions
2. Helpless Corpses Enactment
3. Puppet Show
4. Formicary
5. Angle of Repose
6. The Ossuary
7. Salt Crown
8. The Only Dance
9. The Greenless Wreath
10. Widening Eye
11. Putrid Refrain
Check out the band’s video reel at Youtube.com: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCJMy6zdUR8
What the critics are saying:
"…infamous low-brow freakazoid performance artists…serving up a Frankenstein's monster of sad lullabyes, aural dementia, quasi-industrial pigf**kery, experimental atmospherics, Eastern Euro-folk, and ominous metallic noise" – THE VILLAGE VOICE
“…outrageous and inventive… a strange and unsettling world…” – BOSTON GLOBE
“…experimental anti-rock that growls and screeches…” – SAN FRANCISCO CHRONICLE
"SLEEPYTIME GORILLA MUSEUM is the archetypal Bay Area art-rock disaster; it isn't so much the meaningless pounding as the beating that irks us..." – TIME OUT NEW YORK

GIANT SQUID

Official site: www.giantsquidmusic.com

Sacramento, California-based eclectic doom rock band GIANT SQUID are on the road for a few festivals in the coming weeks. Guitarist/singer AARON GREGORY provides the update: "Giant Squid are on the road and heading towards the South West for a couple high profile music festivals. Their first stop was in Albuquerque, New Mexico for the Hyperactive Music Festival (hyperactivefestival.com). We playing on Friday, May 18th at the Atomic Cantina for the official showcase for Po Boy Drums (poboydrums.com), a boutique drum company based out of Denver, CO who have recently endorsed Giant Squid's newest and most monsterous drummer, Scott Sutton. Having had a great time in Albuquerque recently in March when on tour with Ludicra and Black Elk, the band looks forward to engorging themselves at the famous Frontier Cafe again, where they plan to drown everything on their plate in the epic green chile the joint is known for. Of course, getting a little sloshy through out the weekend with the friendly dudes from Po Boy Drums won't be so bad either.Afterwards, Giant Squid returns to their old haunting grounds in Austin, TX for the heaviest of heavy music festivals, Emissions From The Monolith (emissionsfromthemonolith.com), a four day sludge fest taking place at Emo's, featuring doom, stoner, drone, and sludge metal bands from all over the world. Giant Squid plays first on Saturday, May 26th, and will be sharing the stage that day with such heavyweights as Dixie Witch, Middian, and Minsk. Get there before 5:00 PM, as these are all day shows starting very early. Shiner Bock will be flowing like the cool, steady waters of Barton Creek."
Aaron Gregory (guitar, vocals)
Bryan Beeson (bass)
Jackie Perez Gratz (vocals, cello)
Scott Sutton (drums)
What the critics are saying:
"Finally, a post-everything band that actually meets and sometimes surpasses their insta-cool laundry list of influences." -DECIBEL MAGAZINE
"The amalgamation of musical genres that Giant Squid presents before us, are tightly orchestrated and interwoven together in such a way that it will take several listens to fully understand how complex the music really is." - ZERO MAGAZINE
"Metridium Fields is breath of fresh air... another in a long-line of The End Records releases that kicks convention to the curb and over time reveals its hidden treasures to those patient enough to stick with it." - BLABBERMOUTH.NET

SCULPTURED
Official Site: http://www.myspace.com/matrixmetal 
SCULPTURED’s Don Anderson provides an update on the band’s forthcoming third album, titled Embodiment, due out sometime in 2007 on THE END RECORDS. Posts Anderson, "I'm very happy to announce that Andy Winter (Winds, Age of Silence) has already begun recording keyboards for the forthcoming Sculptured album “Embodiment” due sometime later this year." In regards to the material Andy has contributed, Don says, “Andy’s keyboards add a whole new dimension to the sound.  I had originally planned only a guest keyboard solo, but after hearing his ideas I was very excited about his involvement in the project as a whole.  We both love vintage keyboard sounds and so Andy’s work reminds me of all the 70s prog bands I love like Museo Rosenbach, ELP, and Goblin.” Anderson completed the guitars last March and will finish up the recording at the end of June.  Following completion the album will be mixed by Paul McKee (Deserts of Traun).  Commenting on the experience writing and recording the third full-length Sculptured album, Anderson comments, “It’s been very rewarding working with such great musicians like Dave Murray, Jason Walton, and now Andy Winter.  I’ve given up a lot of control this time and actually prefer giving everyone involved total freedom.  I simply sent Dave a reference guitar and he did what he wanted.  When I got his drums back it was like rediscovering my own music.  This rediscovery continues with Andy’s contributions and soon Jason’s.  It’s been very exciting.”

SIGH

Official Site: http://sigh.gospel-virus.net/

Groundbreaking Japanese act SIGH have announced a few tour dates from their upcoming North American tour with Mespotamian masters MELECHESH. The band is touring North America in support of their upcoming album 'Hangman’s Hymn,' out June 12th, 2007 on THE END RECORDS. This is the first North American tour for MELECHESH, who released their critically-acclaimed album 'Emisarries' in January of this year. Also on the touring bill is Atlanta's sludge/doom outfit ZOROASTER. More tour dates will be released in the coming weeks, but the confirmed shows are below.The band also has two live dates with Norway's misanthropic cult black metal act MAYHEM. Says frontman Mirai Kawashima about touring, "We are excited about coming over to play North America again. The timing of the tour is perfect. Hope to see you all on tour!"
The final tracklisting for the album is:
Hangman's Hymn
-Musikalische Exequien-
Act1
1 Introitus/Kyrie
2 Inked in Blood
3 Me-Devil
Act2
4 Dies Irae/The Master Malice
5 The Memories as a Sinner
6 Death with Dishonor
7 In Devil's Arms
Act3
8 Overture/Rex Tremendae/I saw the World's End
9 Salvation in Flame/Confutatis
10 Finale: Hangman's Hymn/In Paradisum/Das Ende

VIRGIN BLACK

Official site: www.virginblack.com

Australia's symphonic/gothic/classical act VIRGIN BLACK have announced some of the tour dates for their upcoming North American tour in support of the recently release album ‘Requiem - Mezzo Forte’ (on THE END RECORDS) The band will tour with labelmates UNEXPECT in early June, play a few shows in Mexico and then return to the United States to tour with Finland's TO/DIE/FOR. The confirmed dates are below with more dates to be announced! The band’s latest album is part of the ‘Requiem’ trilogy and will be the first installment (the 2nd of the trilogy) released. The album will be followed later on this year by ‘Requiem – Pianissimo’ and ‘Requiem – Fortissimo.’ About the ‘Requiem’ trilogy, London says, “Well, I feel like I’ve become a completely non-functioning part of society over the past two years.  Requiem has been the most agonizingly difficult experience I have ever faced.  On one side are the logistics of three albums, two and a half hours of music, and financing it all (orchestra included).  The other side is the emotional toll; the far too many times I fell in a heap feeling that it would be impossible to succeed and coming oh so close to completely giving up the project. I take many a scar from this process and may never experience this kind of beautiful pain again.”

WINDS
Official Site: www.winds.ws

WINDS, the Norwegian band consisting of Lars E. Si, Carl August Tidemann, Jan Axel von Blomberg and Andy Winter, have completed the mixing of their fourth recording, entitled “Prominence and Demise.” The album features guest appearances from several musical talents including Dan Swanö, Agnete M. Kirkevaag, Lars Nedland and Øystein Moe. Travis Smith, has already completed the cover layout for the album. "Prominence and Demise" is the follow-up to the band's well-received 2004 opus “The Imaginary Direction of Time." A release date will be set by THE END RECORDS in the near future.

LIVE SHOWS:

GIANT SQUID
05/26/07 Sat @ Emissions From The Monolith @ Emo's - Austin , TX
06/15/07 Fri @ The Distillery - Sacramento, CA
06/30/07 Sat @ The Uptown - Oakland, CA (w/ Whitehorse, The River Runs Black)

SIGH
07/06/07 Fri @ Europa - Brooklyn, NY (w/ Melechesh, Zoroaster)
07/13/07 Fri @ Opera House - Toronto, CA (w/ Melechesh, Zoroaster)
07/14/07 Sat @ Sapphire Club - Montreal, QC (w/ Melechesh, Zoroaster)
07/17/07 Tue @ The Galaxy Theatre - Santa Ana, CA (w/ Mayhem)
07/18/07 Wed @ The Key Club - Hollywood, CA (w/ Mayhem)

SLEEPYTIME GORILLA MUSEUM
05/24/07  Thu @ The Phoenix Theater - Petaluma, CA (w/ Sex Goddess)
05/25/07 Fri @ Aladdin Theater - Portland, OR (w/ Subarachnoid Space)
05/26/07 Sat @ Neumos - Seattle, WA
05/28/07 Mon @ Triple Rock Social Club - Minneapolis, MN (w/ Stinking Lizaveta)
05/29/07 Tue @ Todd Wehr Center - Milwaukee, WI (w/ Stinking Lizaveta)
05/30/07 Wed @ The Abbey Pub - Chicago, IL (w/ Stinking Lizaveta)
05/31/07 Thu @ Radio Radio - Indianapolis, IN (w/ Stinking Lizaveta)
06/01/07 Fri @ Magic Stick - Detroit, MI (w/ Stinking Lizaveta)
06/02/07 Sat @ Beachland Ballroom - Cleveland, OH (w/ Stinking Lizaveta)
06/03/07 Sun @ The Middle East - Cambridge, MA (w/ Stinking Lizaveta)
06/04/07 Mon @ Northstar - Philadelphia, PA (w/ Stinking Lizaveta)
06/05/07 Tue @ The Black Cat - Washington, DC (w/ Stinking Lizaveta)
06/08/07 Fri @ The Earl - Atlanta, GA
06/09/07 Sat @ Cell Block - Mobile, AL (w/ Cheer Accident)
06/11/07 Mon @ Emos - Austin, TX (w/ Cheer Accident)
06/12/07 Tue @ Wreck Room - Ft. Worth, TX (w/ Cheer Accident)
06/14/07 Thu @ Troubadour - Los Angeles, CA (w/ Cheer Accident)
06/15/07 Fri @ Great American Music Hall - San Francisco, CA (w/ Cheer Accident)
06/16/07 Sat @ The Catalyst - Santa Cruz, CA (w/ Cheer Accident) 

STOLEN BABIES

(w/ Lacuna Coil, The Gathering, In This Moment)

05/22/07 Tue @ The Garrick Centre - Winnipeg, MB
05/23/07 Wed @ The Distrikt- Regina, SK
05/25/07 Fri @ Dinwoodie Lounge - Edmonton, AB
05/26/07 Sat @ MacEwan Hall Ballroom - Calgary, AB

(w/ Lacuna Coil, The Gathering)
05/28/07 Mon @ Croatian Cultural Centre - Vancouver, BC

(w/ Lacuna Coil, The Gathering, Within Temptation)
05/29/07 Tue @ El Corazon - Seattle, WA

(w/ Lacuna Coil, Within Temptation)
05/30/07 Wed @ The Boulevard - Spokane, WA

(w/ Lacuna Coil, Within Temptation, Kylesa)
05/31/07 Thu @ Aladdin Theater - Portland, OR
06/01/07 Fri @ Slim's - San Francisco, CA
06/04/07 Mon @ Downtown Brew - San Luis Obispo, CA
06/05/07 Tue @ New Oasis -  Sparks, NV
06/06/07 Wed @ Avalon Theater - Salt Lake City, UT

THE GATHERING
(w/ Lacuna Coil, In This Moment, Stolen Babies)

05/22/07 Tue @ The Garrick Centre - Winnipeg, MB
05/23/07 Wed @ The Distrikt - Regina, SK
05/25/07 Fri @ Dinwoodie Lounge - Edmonton, AB
05/26/07 Sat @ MacEwan Hall Ballroom - Calgary, AB
05/28/07 Mon @ Croatian Cultural Centre - Vancouver, BC
05/29/07 Tue @ El Corazon - Seattle, WA

UNEXPECT
06/17/07 Sun @ Mac's Bar -Lansing, MI (with Virgin Black) 
06/18/07 Mon @ The Note -Chicago, IL (with Virgin Black) 
06/19/07 Tue @ Beachland Tavern -Cleveland, OH (with Virgin Black) 
06/20/07 Wed @ Metal Bar -Toronto, ON (with Virgin Black)

Virgin Black:

06/17/07 Sun @ Mac's Bar -Lansing, MI (with Unexpect) 
06/18/07 Mon @ The Note -Chicago, IL (with Unexpect)
06/19/07 Tue @ Beachland Tavern -Cleveland, OH (with Unexpect)
06/20/07 Wed @ Funhouse -Toronto, ON (with Unexpect)
06/21/07 Thu @ Sapphire Club -Montreal, QC
06/22/07 Fri @ Cafe Iguana - Monterrey, Mexico
06/23/07 Sat @ Circo Volador - Distrito Federal, Mexico
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2007 at 23:23
The video is great... but they cut out my favorite part of the song...Unhappy
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
 Post Reply Post Reply