Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > I Have A Question For You......?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedI'd like to modify my reviews

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: I'd like to modify my reviews
    Posted: May 23 2007 at 22:47
Is it possible to modify one's review?

When I just started on this site some three years ago (under a different name; it's a long story - my password was irretrievably lost), I knew much less about music than I do now ... and I wrote several reviews that now don't look too professional to me ...

Besides, I found that my opinions about albums change with time ... Sometimes you give some album three stars, and then listen to it a few months more and it starts growing on you ... until you feel you could easily give it four. Of course, there's a similar situation with downgrading a rating ...

Wouldn't it be great if every user had access to all his/her reviews and was able to modify them some time later? 
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2007 at 22:48
Well, Collabs and above can do it automatically, but everyone with a different status has to ask an Admin to do it for them.
Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2007 at 23:47
Originally posted by warwick warwick wrote:

Is it possible to modify one's review?

When I just started on this site some three years ago (under a different name; it's a long story - my password was irretrievably lost), I knew much less about music than I do now ... and I wrote several reviews that now don't look too professional to me ...

Besides, I found that my opinions about albums change with time ... Sometimes you give some album three stars, and then listen to it a few months more and it starts growing on you ... until you feel you could easily give it four. Of course, there's a similar situation with downgrading a rating ...

Wouldn't it be great if every user had access to all his/her reviews and was able to modify them some time later? 

There's no review associated with your username by now and so the way is paved for new ones.

Anyway, if you tell me via PM your previous username(s) I'll be glad to remove them (don't forget to save them first).

Smile
Guigo

~~~~~~
Phil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2007 at 07:52
Just to pick up on this topic, I must agree that my views have changed over time. I tend to be a harsh critic but there are a few albums I have reviewed, which I'd give more stars to if I had a second chance. In particular:

Caravan - In the Land of Grey and Pink - gave 3 stars (silly me!) want to give 4 or even 5;
Yes Relayer; Wakemans' No Earthly Connection & Six Wives; and Mahavishnu Orchestra, Inner Mounting Flame - I gave 4 stars to each, on reflection should have been 5;

on the other hand there are a few that I felt charitable about at the time, but now I think I'd drop the rating. These will remain nameless....

There are also a few typo's that I missed!
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2007 at 09:22
I agree - we should all be able to access and amend our own reviews/ratings.

Of course, in an ideal world we should all wait until an album has become utterly familiar to us over a respectful period of time before comitting out thought on it. It is NOT an ideal world, however, and we all change and out views change. I suspect that there are overheads to allow user-modified alterations but there are also overheads with the system as it is - with moderators having to intervene.

Edited by Glueman - May 24 2007 at 09:22
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2007 at 13:50
We've looked at opening up the editing of reviews to all memebrs, but the admin overhead is just too great.

As Atkingani says though, he and I are at your disposal. Just send up PMs with details of the changes and we'll be happy to make them. If you'd prefer to have the review deleted, and submit a new one, we can do that too.
 Post Reply Post Reply