Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedUltravox

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ultravox
    Posted: June 09 2007 at 10:17
If we have bands like The Split Enz and Kraftwerk on PA, I think it stands to reason that Ultravox and the music of Midge Ure be added. I think there are definitely progressive elements mixed in to their music.

Yay or nay?

E
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2007 at 11:26
Too pop orientated in my opinion. Some of their early stuff was slightly more adventurous, but I don;t think they ever really did anything prog as such.

Mind you, after Slik ("Forever and ever"), anything would have been more adventurous!
Floydoid View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2007 at 10:57
If we're going to consider Ultravox, might as well mention Visage too - I only recall the latter making one eponymous album, but it was definitely prog-related.
'We're going to need a bigger swear jar.'
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2007 at 11:30
Originally posted by Floydoid Floydoid wrote:

If we're going to consider Ultravox, might as well mention Visage too - I only recall the latter making one eponymous album, but it was definitely prog-related.
Visage clocked up a total of 3 studio albums, the first two being produced by Midge Ure and the second, Anvil, was their biggest seller. Prior to Visage, Steve Strange covered Zager & Evans' In The Year 2525 - which is as close as he ever came to prog-related.

Early John Foxx lead Ultravox! (with the exclamation mark) was heavily influenced by Krautrock (Neu!) and Art-rock (Roxy Music). Over the course of 3 albums on Island Records they gradually moved to the synthpop sound that they later became famous for with Midge Ure as frontman. Anyone who is only familiar with the latterday new romantic pop-chart Ultravox (sans !)  should check out the first three albums (Ultravox!, Ha! Ha! Ha! and Systems Of Romance - they dropped the ! for this album) - highlights of which were brought together on one CD titled The Island Years. Failing that, just search out the track called Hiroshima mon Amour (also covered by The Church and Ordinary Psycho) and give that a listen.

/edit - Nay to Midge Ure & Midge Ure era Ultravox

Edited by darqdean - June 10 2007 at 11:32
What?
Floydoid View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2007 at 01:28
I stand corrected darqdean, I still adore that first album a quarter of a century on. Smile
'We're going to need a bigger swear jar.'
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2007 at 05:42
Originally posted by E-Dub E-Dub wrote:

If we have bands like The Split Enz and Kraftwerk on PA, I think it stands to reason that Ultravox and the music of Midge Ure be added. I think there are definitely progressive elements mixed in to their music.

Yay or nay?

E

Even if Ultravox were allowed (for the early John Foxx years, I do see a case) I would say absolutely NOT for the music of Midge Ure. No way. What has he done thats remotely progressive?

John Foxx solo career would be a different matter.

Their Foxx albums seem to be heavily influenced by Roxy Music (Art Rock) and possibly Progressive Electronic Music, with a New Wave twist. So definitely a possibility, but it'll open a whole new can of worms.

Sorry dargdean, just read your post now. We pretty much covered the same ground.Wink

Edited by Snow Dog - June 11 2007 at 06:07
Harkmark View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2007 at 05:49
Nay (but they have a couple of decent songs, like Vienna). But I haven't heard their early (late 70s) albums.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2007 at 06:07
Originally posted by Harkmark Harkmark wrote:

Nay (but they have a couple of decent songs, like Vienna). But I haven't heard their early (late 70s) albums.

Just as with Split Enz, I was a bit shocked to see their early discography of the 70's, I was never aware of. I thought both groups started out in the 80's. >> Apparently Human League also started much sooner than I've ever thought.

I will give early Ultravox a shot, but I doubt I will find prog.
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2007 at 06:10
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Just as with Split Enz, I was a bit shocked to see their early discography of the 70's, I was never aware of. I thought both groups started out in the 80's. >> Apparently Human League also started much sooner than I've ever thought.

I think you will.Wink

I have the first Human League single btw....they were a good band then.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2007 at 06:22
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

I think you will.Wink

Thumbs%20Up "Tall, tall, tall, I want to be tall, tall, tall. As big as a wall, wall, wall, As big as a wall, wall, wall And if I'm not tall, tall, tall, Then I will crawl, crawl, crawl. Because I'm not tall, tall, tall, Tall, tall, tall, tall, tall Tall, tall, tall, I want to be tall, tall, tall. As big as a wall, wall, wall, As big as a wall, wall, wall And if I'm not tall, tall, tall, Then I will crawl, crawl, crawl Because I'm not tall, tall, tall, tall, tall, tall, tall, tall. "

...they just don't write songs like that anymore Cry
What?
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2007 at 06:41
Originally posted by darqdean darqdean wrote:

I think you will.Wink

Thumbs%20Up "Tall, tall, tall, I want to be tall, tall, tall. As big as a wall, wall, wall, As big as a wall, wall, wall And if I'm not tall, tall, tall, Then I will crawl, crawl, crawl. Because I'm not tall, tall, tall, Tall, tall, tall, tall, tall Tall, tall, tall, I want to be tall, tall, tall. As big as a wall, wall, wall, As big as a wall, wall, wall And if I'm not tall, tall, tall, Then I will crawl, crawl, crawl Because I'm not tall, tall, tall, tall, tall, tall, tall, tall. "

...they just don't write songs like that anymore Cry

I don't know what that is, I was talking about "Being Boiled"Wink

Edited by Snow Dog - June 11 2007 at 06:43
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2007 at 06:59
^ Ah, you're correct, Empire State Human was their 2nd single, which was the 1st from their 1st album, Being Boiled was released first, but was inculded on their 2nd album. You can see how I got confused Wink
What?
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2007 at 07:06
Originally posted by darqdean darqdean wrote:

^ Ah, you're correct, Empire State Human was their 2nd single, which was the 1st from their 1st album, Being Boiled was released first, but was inculded on their 2nd album. You can see how I got confused Wink

Happy days!

Do you remember The Normal? Robert Rental? Gang Of Four?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2007 at 07:35
Don't remember Robert Rental - do remember Fad Gadget
What?
Man Erg View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2007 at 07:44
Nay to Ultravox with Ure.
Yay to Ultravox with John Foxx

Yay to John Foxx solo.His second album is great.I love the track,Europe After the Rain.

Human League's Travelogue album has a very electronic Prog vibe to it.Black Hit From Space and Crow and a Baby are excellent tracks.

...and how about Magazine? The first two albums,especially the second album,Secondhand Daylight.They were definately influence by German Prog and Eno/Roxy/Bowie.

Edited by Man Erg - June 11 2007 at 07:49

Do 'The Stanley' otherwise I'll thrash you with some rhubarb.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2007 at 07:54
Originally posted by Man Erg Man Erg wrote:

Yay to John Foxx solo.His second album is great.I love the track,Europe After the Rain.

Human League's Travelogue album has a very electronic Prog vibe to it.Black Hit From Space and Crow and a Baby are excellent tracks.

...and how about Magazine? The first two albums,especially the second album,Secondhand Daylight.They were definately influence by German Prog and Eno/Roxy/Bowie.

Magazine....totally agree. Think I may have mentioned it once or twice.LOL
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2007 at 08:02

Magazine....totally agree. Think I may have mentioned it once or twice.LOL
Abso-flippin'-lutely. Thumbs%20Up
What?
Man Erg View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2007 at 08:06
IMHO,early Magazine and early Ultravox were almost interchangable.I seem to remember members of both band suplementing Gary Numan and Tubeway Army on occasions. I know that Warren Cann of Ultravox definately did and something says that Dave Formula may have been involved somewhere...I maybe wrong.

Magazine's Live/Play album comes in for some stick from some quarters but I really enjoy it.John McGeogh's replacement on guitar,Robin Simon (?) is very good.

Edited by Man Erg - June 11 2007 at 08:08

Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2007 at 08:10

IMHO,early Magazine and early Ultravox were almost interchangable.I seem to remember members of both band suplementing Gary Numan and Tubeway Army on occasions. I know that Warren Cann of Ultravox definately did and something says that Dave Formula may have been involved somewhere...I maybe wrong.

Magazine's Live/Play album comes in for some stick from some quarters but I really enjoy it.John McGeogh's replacement on guitar,Robin Simon (?) is very good.

To my ears, they have very little in common, but, it depends what one is listening for I suppose.
Man Erg View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2007 at 08:13

IMHO,early Magazine and early Ultravox were almost interchangable.I seem to remember members of both band suplementing Gary Numan and Tubeway Army on occasions. I know that Warren Cann of Ultravox definately did and something says that Dave Formula may have been involved somewhere...I maybe wrong. Magazine's Live/Play album comes in for some stick from some quarters but I really enjoy it.John McGeogh's replacement on guitar,Robin Simon (?) is very good.

To my ears, they have very little in common, but, it depends what one is listening for I suppose.

Musically, but there is a similar outlook beyond the then contemporary New Wave...until John Foxx left.
I think that Devoto and Foxx may have had similar ideals.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>