Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs the USA a big bully these days?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Poll Question: A simple yes or no, foriegn opinions valued most.
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
38 [64.41%]
21 [35.59%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2007 at 12:39
As a rabid neutral party, I'd like to make one observation about the U.S. - when the International community wants someone to intervene in another country's affair, they usually look to the U.S. ; and if the U.S. declines, the world accuses them of being insular & not caring about other peoples (sic); when the U.S. intervenes because the U.S. feels it is important , but the international community declines to participate or disagrees, then the U.S. is again accused of being the bad guy. So theycan't really win, can they. I'm not making any arguements for or against the various past actions of the U.S. (Somalia, Iraq, Serbia, Panama, etc), just to say that the international community often seem to act as if they should be the ones to decide when American soldiers' lives are put on the line. You may think that the Iraq invasion is wrong, but how about Afghanistan ? There was general world support for that interevention, but yet, how many NATO countries are currently there trying to stabilize the government & rebuild the country ? Unless, of course , the world would be OK with seeing the Taliban back in power ???
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2007 at 12:46
Originally posted by StyLaZyn StyLaZyn wrote:

Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Equality, where I was going with my rhetorical question is not clear in the context of the discussion (comparison between other Western countries military spending and "charitable" activities and military missions vs. diplomacy).  Of course one can expect a large amount spent on the military, but the US expenditure is unusually high.  But I don't want to digress too much.

I'm fine with self-defence, but that is being used as an excuse to go on the offensive (first strike policies).  Bush, and many others, have not shown respect for international laws and protocols.

It's economic as well as military policy.

While I don't think the U.S. should be bound by any international laws or protocol, I don't agree with preemptive war. It's immoral, unconstitutional, and unamerican.

No to sound like a wise guy, but with you saying this, are you also saying no other country should either?

Yes
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2007 at 05:10
This is a sad thing going on - nobody seems to like USA in Ukraine, everybody HATES the whole nation , forgetting that there are no nations, there are SEPARATE men. It's the same thing as never eat any food because of untasty thing you once had eaten. This is stupid.

But I have to agree - while Bush represents USA as a state, they will be hated. I despise this jerk, he's simply ridiculous. Besides his government supports our president, who's even more a$sy than Bush.

BTW, what "Dubya" means? Where has it come from?
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2007 at 05:15
Originally posted by Prog-jester Prog-jester wrote:

This is a sad thing going on - nobody seems to like USA in Ukraine, everybody HATES the whole nation , forgetting that there are no nations, there are SEPARATE men. It's the same thing as never eat any food because of untasty thing you once had eaten. This is stupid.  >> wouldn't yousay that Russia gets more hate than the US?

But I have to agree - while Bush represents USA as a state, they will be hated. I despise this jerk, he's simply ridiculous. Besides his government supports our president, who's even more a$sy than Bush.

BTW, what "Dubya" means? Where has it come from? Geoge W Bush >>> the W (from his second surname) is to differentiate him from his father (also president and not that long ago) >>>> W is pronounced Double U >> which in southern drawl (the old South's accent) becomes Dubya

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2007 at 07:32
Originally posted by debrewguy debrewguy wrote:

As a rabid neutral party, I'd like to make one observation about the U.S. - when the International community wants someone to intervene in another country's affair, they usually look to the U.S. ; and if the U.S. declines, the world accuses them of being insular & not caring about other peoples (sic); when the U.S. intervenes because the U.S. feels it is important , but the international community declines to participate or disagrees, then the U.S. is again accused of being the bad guy. So theycan't really win, can they. I'm not making any arguements for or against the various past actions of the U.S. (Somalia, Iraq, Serbia, Panama, etc), just to say that the international community often seem to act as if they should be the ones to decide when American soldiers' lives are put on the line. You may think that the Iraq invasion is wrong, but how about Afghanistan ? There was general world support for that interevention, but yet, how many NATO countries are currently there trying to stabilize the government & rebuild the country ? Unless, of course , the world would be OK with seeing the Taliban back in power ???

That's a very good point - there is no getting away from the fact that like it or not, the United States is the largest economic and military power in the world; given this fact, they will be looked on to act where necessary and/or appropriate. I think the argument here is whether or not such power is being used appropriately and in the interests of the world as a whole, or purely in the interest of the United States.

As you put it - if they don't act, they're vilified, if they act, they're vilified; for any superpower it's a no-win situation.

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Eerichtho View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2007 at 08:18
More of a yes. Many arguments have been said here already, I have nothing much to add...

The government of Bush has been especially unresonable and Bush himself relatively dumb (but it seems, that not with his election-campaigns and getting votes).

One of the greatest stupidities of the US is their environmental policy. And they don't even seem to learn from the natural catastrophes in south-US...

Edited by Eerichtho - June 13 2007 at 08:21
StyLaZyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2007 at 11:08
Originally posted by Eerichtho Eerichtho wrote:

One of the greatest stupidities of the US is their environmental policy. And they don't even seem to learn from the natural catastrophes in south-US...

Living in the US, one of the things I have been really bothered by is people wanting to live in an area that is prone to destruction, and when it happens to them, they expect complete government help. I am talking about areas where it's not "if" but "when".

I hate sounding uncompassionate but there is an element of intelligence that these people lack or maybe they just like taking chances. Regardless, everyone else in the US ends up paying for their gambling. Ouch

Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2007 at 11:12
^ I agree. Not mention our environmental policies have nothing to do with the storms.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
IVNORD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2007 at 19:40

The global economy is what is stealing those American jobs. If America were to cut itself out of the global marketplace our manufacturing jobs would comeback, albeit at a great cost to the consumer.

Let's be realistic.  Can the US cut itself out of the global economy?  And if so, what is that great cost?

Obviously not completely for diplomatic reasons as well as a dependence on foreign nations for raw materials. However, there's a difference between isolationism and unbridle free trade. When we provide a tax incentive for industries to go overseas we shouldn't be suprised when we lose jobs.

Way off topic now:
Economics is a huge behomoth of a study for anyone to fully understand, let alone try to participate in alone. Unbridled Free Trade is not a good thing, I agree. 

When foriegn countries begin to offer something at a much cheaper price than that American made, your tariffs would need to be extraordinary to keep the price competitive and prevent the buyer in America from using it.  Those high tariffs are what cause diplomatic stress. If we only supply ourselves with what we need, inflation would be out of control. I think the idea that Clinton had in mind was to provide a competitive edge in the future rather than wait for the world to not need us.

I'm not supporting protectionist economics. I'm was just stating some facts.

THe US is the main pillar of global economy. Excluding ourselves from it is ridiculous. Blaming it for the loss of manufacturing jobs is even more ridiculous. Global economy is a self-regulating mechanism. THe process of globalisation is at leas 100 years old, they just  didn't call it that way back then. Migration of jobs and entire industries began probably with the debasing of the steel manufacturing if not earlier. When it became economically profitable to produce steel closer to the sources of iron ore at much cheaper labor cost while the shipping costs declined. Textile, chemicals, agriculture and many more followed suit. 20 years ago engineering began its displacement. Nobody said a word. All this latest crap is pure politics. Manufacturing will not be spared. But eventually new jobs will be created as new technology will appear. And some old jobs will return to the US when the world salaries level off thanks to global economy. Right now we are simply priced out of some industries.
IVNORD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2007 at 20:45
Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

That's a very good point - there is no getting away from the fact that like it or not, the United States is the largest economic and military power in the world; given this fact, they will be looked on to act where necessary and/or appropriate. I think the argument here is whether or not such power is being used appropriately and in the interests of the world as a whole, or purely in the interest of the United States.

As you put it - if they don't act, they're vilified, if they act, they're vilified; for any superpower it's a no-win situation.

THe US almost always acts in support of its interests, rarely as a benevolent giant. For the past 20-30 years probably only Somalia was a humanitarian action (that's why it failed ). That's why we did not intevene in Rwanda, Liberia, Sierra Leone, and now Darfur. Some actions appeared to be humanitarian but they were not (Haiti, Kosovo).
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2007 at 13:22
Originally posted by IVNORD IVNORD wrote:

THe US almost always acts in support of its interests, rarely as a benevolent giant. For the past 20-30 years probably only Somalia was a humanitarian action (that's why it failed ). That's why we did not intevene in Rwanda, Liberia, Sierra Leone, and now Darfur. Some actions appeared to be humanitarian but they were not (Haiti, Kosovo).

You're right. The U.S. almost always acts in its own interests. For some reason, the international community is surprised that any country would be willing to sacrifice its' soldiers for anything else. France is not questioned this way, China & Russia would angrily respond that they have a "right" to do so. But the U.S. is held to another standard. Not to say they always do right, just to say that the U.S. is considered fair game for any arguement that suits the plaintiff ...
P.S. for any country to send caucasion soldiers into an african country is to set them up as very visible targets. One - their colour sets them easily apart as the enemy, two  - the "imperialist" tag gets stuck immediately. As for the non-intervention in the countries you listed, why wouldn't Russia, China, India or even the African Union be taken to task for their lack of action ? Again - the double standard. We want the Americans in when we want something done, but abhor the thought that they would take it upon themselves when they believe intervention is necessary. Again, I add the fact that this does not automatically say that all their actions are justified.
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2007 at 16:22
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by Prog-jester Prog-jester wrote:

This is a sad thing going on - nobody seems to like USA in Ukraine, everybody HATES the whole nation , forgetting that there are no nations, there are SEPARATE men. It's the same thing as never eat any food because of untasty thing you once had eaten. This is stupid.  >> wouldn't yousay that Russia gets more hate than the US?

In Ukraine? Never!
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2007 at 16:29

^ I agree. Not mention our environmental policies have nothing to do with the storms.

Based on what I've read and seen, if an increase in pollution leads to an increase in global warming, it seriously strengthens the force of hurricanes, at least.

That point is contentious, obviously.

Now, of all the major post-industrial nations (US, much of Europe), not industrializing nations like China and India, the US pollutes a lot more than it should have to, IMO, and if the other point turns our to be accurate, we wouldn't be able to deny that we played a part in the increase in force of hurricanes.
StyLaZyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2007 at 16:42
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

Based on what I've read and seen, if an increase in pollution leads to an increase in global warming, it seriously strengthens the force of hurricanes, at least.

That point is contentious, obviously.

Now, of all the major post-industrial nations (US, much of Europe), not industrializing nations like China and India, the US pollutes a lot more than it should have to, IMO, and if the other point turns our to be accurate, we wouldn't be able to deny that we played a part in the increase in force of hurricanes.

Off Topic:
You have some American conservative types who will insist all the global warming is nothing more than false hype and is a natural progression of climate change. They maintain human related emissions have no effect on the climate. (I guess smog is our imagination)

Another recent thing I heard is the reference to Al Gore's movie as  "A Convenient Lie".

In time, we will see the effects.  I hope the predictions are wrong for the global sake of all of us and our children.

IVNORD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2007 at 21:34

You're right. The U.S. almost always acts in its own interests. For some reason, the international community is surprised that any country would be willing to sacrifice its' soldiers for anything else. France is not questioned this way, China & Russia would angrily respond that they have a "right" to do so. But the U.S. is held to another standard. Not to say they always do right, just to say that the U.S. is considered fair game for any arguement that suits the plaintiff ...
P.S. for any country to send caucasion soldiers into an african country is to set them up as very visible targets. One - their colour sets them easily apart as the enemy, two  - the "imperialist" tag gets stuck immediately. As for the non-intervention in the countries you listed, why wouldn't Russia, China, India or even the African Union be taken to task for their lack of action ? Again - the double standard. We want the Americans in when we want something done, but abhor the thought that they would take it upon themselves when they believe intervention is necessary. Again, I add the fact that this does not automatically say that all their actions are justified.

It's just natural. Would you mow your lawn or yuor neighbour's? Every country protects its interests. So does France (sometimes, in Africa), so does Russia in Chechnya, India in Kashmir, etc.  US military actions are imperialist by nature, hence the protests - imperialism isn't a popular thing. But since the actions are more pragmatic (by definition) than the protests, the latter are largely superficial, just letting the steam out. Most protesters don't even realize they may be beneficiaries of those actions. Those who do are politicians, and they are plain hypocritical.
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2007 at 07:43

Every country protects its interests. So does France (sometimes, in Africa), so does Russia in Chechnya, India in Kashmir, etc.  US military actions are imperialist by nature, hence the protests - imperialism isn't a popular thing. But since the actions are more pragmatic (by definition) than the protests, the latter are largely superficial, just letting the steam out. Most protesters don't even realize they may be beneficiaries of those actions.

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2007 at 08:14
I think it's a little late for this question. This point was more firmly established a couple of years ago, when W was still in his prime. Since the heat has been on, the U.S. doesn't have quite the same posture. Plus the new Congress isn't going to allow the same B.S. as before.
StyLaZyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2007 at 09:41
Originally posted by bhikkhu bhikkhu wrote:

I think it's a little late for this question. This point was more firmly established a couple of years ago, when W was still in his prime. Since the heat has been on, the U.S. doesn't have quite the same posture. Plus the new Congress isn't going to allow the same B.S. as before.

Oh, the new Democrat Congress...they are letting us (the voters) down. Giving into Bush's ever whim with a minimal fight.

Is it late for this poll? I think having a few years to look back on provides a better perspective.

Mikerinos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2007 at 10:08
Yes, I can safely say that I'm not proud to be American, although I'm not as extreme as some others here like Flossy (I don't hate America, but there are many places I'd rather live).
dralan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2007 at 12:06
NO. As a leader of the free world we have a responsibility. Its not enough to sit here at home and isolate ourselves from the worlds problems. The situation in the Middle East demands that Western powers intervene.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>