Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedYour favorite band of them all: prog or not...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Poll Question: Is your favorite band of them all....
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
62 [86.11%]
9 [12.50%]
1 [1.39%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
daz2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your favorite band of them all: prog or not...
    Posted: June 21 2007 at 13:55
Status Quo!!!!!
In the constellation of cygnus,There lurks a mysterious force...The black hole
Floydian42 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2007 at 14:28
My favorite is Pink Floyd. My next few are Porcupine Tree, Early Genesis, and Radiohead.

Although, I love some Nonproggers. (Sufjan Stevens, Death Cab for Cutie, Massive Attack, The Wrens, etc.)
magnus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2007 at 14:11
Metallica is my favorite band.

Yes, they were prog(metal), no, they aren't listed here. So I'll go for the second option. I do appreciate most of their material though, no matter how progressive or regressive it may be Wink

Nearly all of my other favorites are considered prog, except for some hip hop and some other bands.
The scattered jigsaw of my redemption laid out before my eyes
Each piece as amorphous as the other - Each piece in its lack of shape a lie
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2007 at 14:09
Originally posted by schizoid_man77 schizoid_man77 wrote:

Originally posted by debrewguy debrewguy wrote:

Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Originally posted by purplepiper purplepiper wrote:

of course my favourites are prog! I'm on this site aren't I? My top favourite is king crimson, but return to forever comes close. the only stuff I listen to that isn't listed in this site is classical and spanish guitar.

I just wanted to know your nick, as it doesn't appear above your avatar...Confused

please, no more ac/dc... we're talking multi-chord music here! WinkTongueBig%20smile

But AC/DC usually have at least 4 different chords in their songs, example - Let There Be Rock - E, G, A, B;  Back In Black - E, D, A, B, G. And azs "multi" means more than one, they thus play multi-chord music !
Of course, I can see your point about wanting limit it to multi-chord music. Talking about Krautrock is about as interesting as listening to it Big%20smile

You know metallica put around 20 different riffs in their songs, and they're not even on the archives, and here you are giving us two songs with four chords. CAVEMAN MUSIC NOT ALLOWED!

Caveman music ? Nay ! Idiot Boogie ! Yay!
P.S. You miscounted. Back In Black has five chords. Which I noted. Big%20smile
Whole Lotta Rosie has 6, if you count the F#/G in the chorus. I'm currently counting chords in such chord textbook wonders as Genesis, VDGG (i'm sure most of their tunes are not composed of too many diiferent chords), my gods of French Prog - Ange, KIng Crimson's output in the 90s usually limits itself to several chords with atonal chords used as "solos", the Moody Blues, and unbeknownst to many - Pink Floyd.
And to mention Krautrock again, much of it, which is described as minimalistic by many here at PA, is not exactly overflowing with chord changes.
So as the ANTI-SNOB, I must protest assigning a value to music based on the number of chords used in a song. Of course, if you're playing a 25 minute song, you hopefully are doing something more than repeating the same chord pattern; unless you're playing Krautrock, then it's called droning/hypnotic/minimalist or some of the Canterbury scene who go on their improvisational trips over a 2 or 3 chord backing.
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2007 at 13:57
I don't have a favourite band -- I do have thirty or so favourite albums by different bands, and they are Prog.

If one considers bands that I've been into for decades and still like very much, Gryphon and Focus would fit the bill (have stood the test of time for me).  In the past few years, after deciding to rediscover Prog due to initial nostalgia, I have been exposed to so many great bands, however.

When I started using this site (when it was still fairly new but I opted not to join at the time) I think I would have said Gentle Giant was my clear favourite (still love GG).  Magma is another excellent one I discovered before joining, and my love of that band has grown and prospered (Zeuhl is one of my favourite categories here). Subsequently I've found so many great albums.

Some of my more recent discoveries (since I joined) that I have really liked: Vortex, Picchio dal Pozzo, Comus, Eskaton, Dun, Univers Zero, Cos, Area, Spirogyra, Arachnoid, Carpe Diem, Henry Cow, Art Zoyd. Samla Mannas Manna, Art Bears, Clearlight, Sloche,  Kultivator etc.

Edited by Logan - June 20 2007 at 13:59
Eerichtho View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2007 at 12:07
Prog.

Naming the number one band is quite difficult to me though, so I won't. But the absolute favourites include King Crimson, Opeth, Yes, Pink Floyd, Planet X, Godspeed You!... and Dün.

Edited by Eerichtho - June 20 2007 at 12:08
Prog Serpent View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2007 at 11:35
Peter Gabriel era Genesis, and King Crimson are my top two. Four out of my top five favourite bands are listed in PA.
Bupie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2007 at 11:08
Sorry but for me it will always be Toto, from Child's Anthem to No End in Sight ... so far
erik neuteboom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2007 at 05:41

AMEN ClapWink!

Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2007 at 23:20
Originally posted by bhikkhu bhikkhu wrote:

I can't believe I am the first to have this band as #1. The Beatles of course, followed by Genesis.

Ditto! Thumbs%20Up
Guigo

~~~~~~
prog4evr View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2007 at 23:18
Originally posted by erik neuteboom erik neuteboom wrote:

My all time favorite band is 70-77 Genesis...
Do I hear an 'Amen' to that?
Iommi View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2007 at 23:06
wow we are from all over the world serbia, venezuela, mexico, EEUU, but music united us. long live rock and roll!!!!!
LONG LIVE ROCK AND ROLL!!!!!
Iommi View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2007 at 23:03
black sabbath, budgie, harmonium, VdGG, zakarrias, bang, sensory system, vytas brenner, eloy, museo rosenbach, etc... infinite numbers of bands, but i love those, of course all from the seventies Big%20smile
LONG LIVE ROCK AND ROLL!!!!!
Leningrad View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2007 at 22:36
It changes almost weekly, but my favorites always end up being prog.
memowakeman View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2007 at 22:33
I believe at least my top 10 are listed here, prog or not, but listed LOL

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman
blaughida View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2007 at 22:03
I really don't have a favorite band...I used to say it was early Genesis but I no longer think that's the case.  I don't like them any less, but I've branched out quite a bit in the last couple years.  I find it impossible to compare a prolific band that mostly released material I really like with a band that broke up after one excellent album--and some of my favorite songs are singles by bands who really didn't release a proper studio album at all, or if they did it's been out of print for twenty-five years.  So I have a number of favorite artists and favorite songs, and am always adding new ones to the list and hope to continue doing so.
dralan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2007 at 20:28
I cant really say I have ONE favorite band. Im kind of wishy-washy in that I'll be real into say , Yes for a couple of weeks real heavy, then I'll get burnt out and move to something else. I like all kinds of music though prog is still my favorite. Belive it or not, I've been on a psychedelic 60's trip lately, listening to Jefferson Airplane and the Grateful Dead and thats not prog so go figure. Next week I'll be into classical or something; I'm wierd like that. 
Dim View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2007 at 19:42
Originally posted by debrewguy debrewguy wrote:

Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Originally posted by purplepiper purplepiper wrote:

of course my favourites are prog! I'm on this site aren't I? My top favourite is king crimson, but return to forever comes close. the only stuff I listen to that isn't listed in this site is classical and spanish guitar.

I just wanted to know your nick, as it doesn't appear above your avatar...Confused

please, no more ac/dc... we're talking multi-chord music here! WinkTongueBig%20smile

But AC/DC usually have at least 4 different chords in their songs, example - Let There Be Rock - E, G, A, B;  Back In Black - E, D, A, B, G. And azs "multi" means more than one, they thus play multi-chord music !
Of course, I can see your point about wanting limit it to multi-chord music. Talking about Krautrock is about as interesting as listening to it Big%20smile

You know metallica put around 20 different riffs in their songs, and they're not even on the archives, and here you are giving us two songs with four chords. CAVEMAN MUSIC NOT ALLOWED!
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2007 at 18:58
Three words, Pain Of Salvation.Big%20smile
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Draconean View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2007 at 17:18
Prog!

It's VDGG, not so closely followed by Sepultura, Jethro Tull, Queen and Manfred Mann's Earth Band
I'm running still,
I shall until,
one day I hope that I'll arrive
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>