Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMagma + Hawkwind NYC June 23+25 (!!)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Magma + Hawkwind NYC June 23+25 (!!)
    Posted: June 20 2007 at 14:01
Love space rock? Devout Zeuhl freak? Missed your chance to buy tickets to see Hawkwind and Magma at NEARfest?

As luck would have it, they're each playing a set in NYC parallel to their festival dates.

Actually, let me rephrase that:

FREAKING MAGMA AND FREAKING HAWKWIND ARE PLAYING IN NYC THIS WEEKEND!!!!!!!

I personally just found out, and I'm extremely excited.

The event is to be held in a Brooklyn club. Magma is playing a set on June 23, and Hawkwind on the 25th. Magma is on the bill with Psychic Paramount, and Hawkwind with Phantom Family Halo.

I'm not certain if this will be the full Magma line-up simply on the ticket with Psychic Paramount, or whether it will be Christian and Stella playing with PP as an actual backing band (I seem to remember reading this, but I can't seem to find where - and every other description would suggest it's the full line-up).

As of this writing, tickets are still selling. Follow the links from the club site.

I'm almost hesitant to post this, as the event looks to be very intimate (it's not a huge place, unless they set up outdoors somewhere). On the other hand, I could use some company, and Vander & co need all the support they can get.
Legoman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2007 at 11:03
JUST got back from the 23rd Magma show.

Awesome.

Set list was:
- Hhai
- Zombies
- Emehnteht-Re (new / extended; really awesome)
- K.A III
- Kobaia

And a very forced encore that was probably Mekanik Kommandoh?  Someone will probably correct me on that.  Also there were some parts of other songs woven into the set list but it gets a little tedious to mention.  The point is: awesome show.  My god.  Magma is a must see for anyone who plans on completing/ fulfilling life.
warwick View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2007 at 00:56
I went to Magma too. One of the best shows I've ever seen. Truly unforgettable.

Hawkwind was a disappointment though. The sound was dull and the programme was somewhat monotonous. Even the diehard fans were not amused. Don't know if there was an encore (would anyone want it?) because I left early.

Edited by warwick - June 26 2007 at 01:01
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2007 at 01:07
There was an encore, and there was a bit more energy, but not that much more interesting. Don't waste your time with Hawkwind, but you have to see Magma. Amazing!
Legoman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2007 at 02:06
Was anyone else surprised to see that there were some really attractive girls at the Magma concert?  And not all of them were with their boyfriends either.

Crazy.

Oh.  And how about those bartenders?
warwick View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2007 at 11:13
Originally posted by Legoman Legoman wrote:

Was anyone else surprised to see that there were some really attractive girls at the Magma concert?  And not all of them were with their boyfriends either.

Crazy.

Oh.  And how about those bartenders?

Yes :) I was surprised to see quite a lot young people in general. But don't forget this is a nightclub so young people could just turn up at their regular venue and discover that there was a concert of some unknown band MAGMA. This also opens up another question. Why is it that the majority of prog fans that you notice en masse at concerts are old and fat males? (I suppose this is a timeless question) I see many old people in New York but they're rarely that fat ...
 Post Reply Post Reply