Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dream Theater : Clermont-Ferrand 26 June 2007
    Posted: June 29 2007 at 09:22

Riverside + Dream Theater

Clermont-Ferrand, La Coopérative de Mai, June 26th 2007

La Coopérative de Mai is a small venue that can only host about 1500 people. So it was a rather unexpected location for Dream Theater’s only french date of the summer (at the exception of the Hellfest festival where the band played a short cut set).

So let’s make the trip to Clermont-Ferrand, rooted in the center of France and in the middle of the monts d’Auvergne, a city more famous for the Michelin tires and its rugby team than for rock and roll.

Therefore, the gig was logically sold-out and I was one of the happy few, standing in the pit about fifteen meters from the scene. The crowd was very diverse in age and looks, from the young metalhead to the mid-40’s progrock fan (as I am). It seemed to me that there were not so many pure metal fans, though.

Riverside opened the evening with a 40 minutes set consisting of five songs. Most of the audience had never heard of them and, since they rather play some kind of ethereal prog metal than in-your-face heavy stuff, they didn’t raise much enthousiasm but their looked quite good and nice to me. I only know their LP Second Live Syndrome and I must confess that I didn’t recognize the first two songs. The last three were Second Life Syndrome, Reality Dream IV and The Curtain Falls. Before playing Reality Dream IV, the bassist/vocalist explained that this song -the fourth chapter of the instrumental suite initiated on their debut album- will feature on their third album to be released this year. I guess this should be a pleasant new for some people on this forum.

Then came the traditional half-an-hour of equipment change and checking. I could feel the excitement slowly grow through the crowd. To kill time, I discussed with my unknown neighbours of various subjects such as «Are they going to play the complete I&W like they did before on the tour ?», «Did you enjoy the last Symphony X album ?» or «Was Marillion better with Fish ?».

The first question got an apparently negative answer when the first notes of Overture 1928 stroke me. «Let’s go for the «regular» setlist instead of I&W», I thought. The overall sound was very good, loud but still clear. Of course, the band moved on with Strange Déjà Vu and I got my first real good surprise with James’voice and presence. The guy is more of a showman than I thought and he nailed his first vocal intervention perfectly. The crowd was very pleased with those first songs since SFAM seems to be the favorite album of many fans (but not mine). Then John Myung stepped into the light for the intro of Panic Attack. A few words from James to announce the new album and we were on for Constant Motion and Forsaken. The crowd responded very well to those songs. We didn’t know so far that they were the only ones of Systematic Chaos to be played this night. After the last notes of Forsaken James took the micro and started to tell something like «Fifteen years ago in July, we released …». The crowd got the message instantly : we were on the way for the entire I&W. Old fans were raved, new fans were puzzled : the intro of Pull Me Under put everybody back in the right direction, headbanging and hands up became more noticeable. A killer version that led to the only low point of the evening. Believe me, I do love Another Day but, as always, the band simply slaughtered the song. Obviously, James, who had been brilliant so far, just can’t sing this one and the rest of the band didn’t help much since I had the feeling that the various instruments were out of tune … At least, you can give James credit for not refusing to sing it and assuming this embarrassing moment. The vocal task on Take the Time is also hard to handle but it’s less annoying when the crowd sings the chorus ! The band was great on this one, too. Surrounded was played in an extended version with a smooth and spacey floydian intro leading to the regular piece followed by another smooth passage where I recognized … Could this be ? Yes, it was part of Marillion’s Sugar Mice, in a very moving rendering. When James whispered «Blame it on me», the old Marillion fan in me was overwhelmed by a deep emotion. I guess that’s all music is about … The second half of I&W flew like in a dream. Perfect renderings of Metropolis Pt I, Under a Glass Moon, Wait for Sleep (they finally decided to play it without Kevin Moore) and Learning to Live. From the beginning of Metropolis, I felt carried away in a kind of out-of-this-world mood made of excitement, happiness and fatigue. A mood where you are deeply receptive to the music. I began to headbang with an ecstatic smile, I raised my arms in (supposed) rhythm and extended my hands in an imaginary attempt to connect with the band. At the end of Learning to Live, the guys left the stage quickly and the lights turned off. The crowd was extremely pleased and loudly begged for more. It didn’t take long for the band to come back and start The Spirit Carries On. The communion with the audience was spectacular, people singing not only the chorus but also the verses. At that point, we all felt that there was only one last song to come. When John Petrucci nailed the first riff of As I Am, the crowd went literally mad or at least did I ! There has been so much criticism about this song and its lyrics : the audience’s reaction proved the band had been right to record it. «To those who understand, I extend my hand» and all the hands went up. «I won’t change to fit your plan, take me as I am» and the whole crowd embraced the band’s credo … I really got the sensation that everybody was in trance for the entire song. I thought I caught a fake note in the guitar solo that made John grin but at this point nothing could affect anybody anymore.

The song ended, leaving the audience breathless. The band gathered in front of us and saluted. 3000 arms raised in their direction in some sort of communion. A roadie, apparently impressed, was taking pictures from the back of the stage. I got the feeling that even the band was moved : John Petrucci, especially, seemed to go through deep emotion. But maybe it was just me …

Of course, there were mistakes, fake notes, approximations but, hey, this was real live music in a small venue, one of those venues that tighten the link between the audience and the musicians. My first DT gig and an unforgettable night. I can’t believe I waited so long to go and see them…

To share a part of this night’s mood, forgiving the poor sound of some videos and the unknown crowd singer : http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=dream+theater+clermont

Edited by Bupie - July 06 2007 at 04:13
cyberiancygnus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2007 at 18:59
Nice  review.
I might be wrong but they don't seem to be playing any of the 'biggies' from the new album yet...you know the ones I mean , In the Presence of Enemies and The Ministry of Lost Souls. Can anyone correct me on this ?

Bupie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2007 at 07:33
Originally posted by cyberiancygnus cyberiancygnus wrote:

Nice  review.
I might be wrong but they don't seem to be playing any of the 'biggies' from the new album yet...you know the ones I mean , In the Presence of Enemies and The Ministry of Lost Souls. Can anyone correct me on this ?

So far, from what I know, they have only played Constant Motion, Forsaken and TDEN. Maybe they lacked time for rehearsal ? I guess/hope it will change on the second leg of the european tour
Hatters View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2007 at 15:09
They played the exact same set list in Newcastle a couple months ago (think they played Pull Me Under also). This is strange because I thoight they were a band that liked to change the set list every show. Am I right?

Edited by Hatters - July 14 2007 at 15:09
Bupie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2007 at 05:21
Originally posted by Hatters Hatters wrote:

They played the exact same set list in Newcastle a couple months ago (think they played Pull Me Under also). This is strange because I thoight they were a band that liked to change the set list every show. Am I right?

Frankly, I didn't check all the setlists of their tour Confused But I guess they have a few predefinite setlists and they use one or another depending on their mood or occasion. And I am not sure they would be ready to play whatever song of their catalogue every night without rehearsal. At the exception of Metropolis Part 1, of course Wink

Edited by Bupie - July 17 2007 at 05:23
JOE MORRIS View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2007 at 05:42
They probablly play the same set list because some of them can't pull the tunes off live.  My guess is Portnoy.  You guys are nice about it, but when I saw them a few years ago they were really bad.  Especially portnoy.  Could not even play to a click that i heard bouncing off the back wall of the venue. 

I still think dream theatre relies heavily on pro tools.in the studio.    They run tracks when they play too.  Nothing wrong with that if your drummer can hang with a click. 

I don't mean to bash, and i'm glad you liked it, but it seems your almost making excuses for them not being totally on their game.  When you do a live show its not ok to make mistakes because its live.  YOu know what I mean.  You kick ass every night and stay tight. 

just my opinion but I think people listen to their heavily pro tooled cds with great producers and sounds.  They just can't pulll it off live.  Really good players can for example.  The Dregs,  Kansas.    So i just don't respect that band especially their drummer at all.  I do respect Jordon Rudess i think thats his name on keys because he does a duo with Rod Morganstein and it sounds way better than dream theatre

just my opinion

joe
JOE MORRIS
Hatters View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2007 at 14:28
Originally posted by JOE MORRIS JOE MORRIS wrote:

They probablly play the same set list because some of them can't pull the tunes off live.  My guess is Portnoy.  You guys are nice about it, but when I saw them a few years ago they were really bad.  Especially portnoy.  Could not even play to a click that i heard bouncing off the back wall of the venue. 

I still think dream theatre relies heavily on pro tools.in the studio.    They run tracks when they play too.  Nothing wrong with that if your drummer can hang with a click. 

I don't mean to bash, and i'm glad you liked it, but it seems your almost making excuses for them not being totally on their game.  When you do a live show its not ok to make mistakes because its live.  YOu know what I mean.  You kick ass every night and stay tight. 

just my opinion but I think people listen to their heavily pro tooled cds with great producers and sounds.  They just can't pulll it off live.  Really good players can for example.  The Dregs,  Kansas.    So i just don't respect that band especially their drummer at all.  I do respect Jordon Rudess i think thats his name on keys because he does a duo with Rod Morganstein and it sounds way better than dream theatre

just my opinion

joe

I'm sorry but that is pretty much all bollocks. Did Portnoy molest you as a child or something. Like hell they play tracks when they play. I have yet to see a perfomance from Portnoy that isn't flawless.
You also spelt Dream Theater wrong. I know it's American but you should know it if you went to see them. My guess is you didn't see them and just spam rubbish about them being crap whenever you can.
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2007 at 15:50
Originally posted by JOE MORRIS JOE MORRIS wrote:

just my opinion

joe

Seen them live two times ... they ruled.

just my opinion

mike

BTW: They're called Dream Theater. And just like you probably wouldn't like to be called Joa Marris they would probably be glad if you took the extra effort to spell their names correctly.Wink

Edited by MikeEnRegalia - July 24 2007 at 15:51
 Post Reply Post Reply