Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2005 at 13:04

whaddya say????

Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2005 at 13:55
A massage with Lark's Vomit - what an attractive proposition...
maani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Founding Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2005 at 21:12

Here is my letter to the editor:

Editor
Arts & Leisure
The New York Times

Jon Pareles calls progressive rock “long-winded, pretentious, cerebral, fastidiously technical and decidedly self-indulgent” (“Strike Up the Band in 13/4 Time: Progressive Rock Returns,” Feb. 27).  Maybe so.  However, we would also call it exploratory, creative, innovative, requiring exceptional musicianship, and decidedly influential.

To paraphrase an old saw: “Rumors of prog’s death have been greatly exaggerated.” Although punk rock may have been a reaction to prog’s “bombast,” prog’s seeming disappearance was not entirely, or even largely, the result of punk rock’s ascendance.  Many prog bands had simply exhausted themselves by the late 70s and gave it up.  Many others (notably Yes and Genesis) “adapted” their styles for a more “commercial” audience, and remained relevant well into the 80s.  Still others went through personnel changes that altered their styles.

In fact, Mr. Pareles’ comment that “punk destroyed any hopes that prog might have harbored of gaining cachet to match its elevated ambitions” is completely insupportable.  Pink Floyd, Genesis, Yes, Jethro Tull and Rush (among others) released albums in the 1980s that spawned hits as big or bigger than anything coming out of punk.  In fact, both throughout the punk “era” and up to the present day, classic rock stations continue to play more songs by the above-listed prog bands than by any punk band.  Mr. Pareles is also well aware that the music industry is financially dependent not simply on current “million-selling” artists, but also on “deep catalogue” albums - older albums that consumers buy to complete or replace existing collections.  Among the top-selling “deep catalogue” artists are Pink Floyd, Yes, Genesis, Rush, King Crimson, The Moody Blues and Jethro Tull.  And let’s not forget that Pink Floyd’s “Dark Side of the Moon” spent 22 years (from 1973 to 1995) in Billboard’s Top 200, a feat unequalled by any album in any subgenre of rock.  In addition, Yes, Genesis and Pink Floyd were selling out arenas all over the world well into the 1990s.  Can Mr. Pareles name a single punk band that consistently sold out the largest venues globally?  Indeed, just last year, the Yes/Dream Theater tour was among the highest-grossing tours of 2004.

Lack of “cachet?”  Not commercially viable?  Death of the genre?  The facts prove otherwise. Indeed, the phenomenal success of our website proves that prog has continued to be viable, respected and well-loved.  Started less than two years ago, we are now one of the largest rock-oriented websites in the world.  Our global membership has quadrupled in just the past six months; we get over 15,000 hits per day on a regular basis; and our reviews have been “imported” by other prog rock sites, as well as by individual band sites.  And by the way, the vast majority of our newest members are in the 15-20 age group.  And although they came to the site primarily through prog-metal groups like Dream Theater, Opeth and Pain of Salvation, they are equally knowledgeable about “seminal” groups like Yes, King Crimson, Genesis and Pink Floyd, and “neo-prog” groups like Marillion, Spock’s Beard, Flower Kings and Ayreon.

Like the race between the tortoise and the hare, punk rock may have left prog “in the dust” at first.  However, punk rock ultimately went nowhere, and remains only in the vestiges of a handful of thrash metal bands.  Meanwhile, prog rock calmly and patiently plodded along, and is not so much in a “resurgence” as taking back its rightful place as an important, creative and accessible subgenre of rock music – one that never “died,” despite premature claims to the contrary.

Ian Alterman

Co-Administrator

www.progarchives.com

Cluster One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2005 at 21:18
Yah! What maani said!
Marmalade...I like marmalade.
BebieM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2005 at 23:30
Nice letter maani
Cygnus X-2 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2005 at 23:45
Originally posted by Reed Lover Reed Lover wrote:

whaddya say????

iew...

Rob The Plant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2005 at 01:04

Maani man, very well done, you've expressed exactly what I was thinking after reading the article, only how you wrote it sounds intelligent, as opposed to what i would have done, which would have come out less  Intelligible than Jon Anderson Lyrics.

They better publish that response in a follow up report, or I say we send the Times a mass of angry e-mails.

Concerning the album- I love it, heard it the day it came out, and I was very impressed. It doesn't rank umong my elite top super fantastical happy fun list, but I love it. Good to see prog is gettign a name for itself, and actually being refferd properly as Prog rock again. I for one have been a fan of several prog rock bands since I was about 9 or 10, starting with Rush and Pink Floyd, but never thought of the m as prog. Perhaps now people will see this and say- "ah really this is prog, maybe I'll check out some other bands as well." The wheels are turning, and the heyday of the prog nerd could be returning.

Collaborators will take your soul.
James Lee View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2005 at 01:24
Originally posted by maani maani wrote:

Like the race between the tortoise and the hare, punk rock may have left prog “in the dust” at first.  However, punk rock ultimately went nowhere, and remains only in the vestiges of a handful of thrash metal bands. 

Whoops- I wouldn't have put so much emphasis on punk's disappearance. Especially when The Mars Volta is almost as punk as they are prog...no matter what anyone's feeling about the quality of punk music, it's impossible to deny that the punk legacy is apparent in a fair amount of modern music, both alternative and mainstream. If nothing else, grunge, emo, and numetal are its bastard children...

Besides that, very well stated- and impressively backed up with undeniable facts!

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2005 at 03:14

Forgive me to interupt but I also did not find the article insulting and most of what he develops is somewhat true IMHO (I think I would side with Vibe but I do have an answering machine and a normal stove - screw micro waves and processed foods designed for that oven).

I am however puzzled to understand this Nerd thing:

The writer missed a chance to mention that 'nerd culture' is seeing a recent general surge in the mainstream, so logically the popularity of prog should increase right along with the recent boom in Tolkien, Star Wars, computer gaming, etcetera.

When I left Canada in 88 , NERD was an insult: I can remember all of those stupid teen comedies (the only titles I remember is the Porky trilogy - I only saw the first) and the nerd character was a real loser, bound to stay virgin with heavy glasses broken in the middle and repaired with scotch tape, a relatively ugly wimp , and not even particularly intelligent or high grades in school (not to be confused with the brownnosers who was also a loser but with a future and also the teacher's pet) and getting surnames such as Spaz etc..... Lynrd Skynrd must've had something similar in mind when they named their group after the hated physed teacher.

I don't see any positive to this nerd name and in the last year , I have read many posts about progheads calling themselves nerds , and much to my surprise laughing about it even encouraging this image. I know that some words eventually change meaning but could someone tell me how this came to be because I certainly do not consider myself as a proghead to be a nerd even in this new meaning ( I understand it to be obsessed, mono-maniac , relatively obtuse etc... Correct me if I'm wrong in this understand of the nerd culture). When and how this nerdiness became some sort of quality......

I must say that except on rare occasion , since my leaving the new world , I avoided american-styled TV (I do miss the PBS system , though) and might not be updated on the utmost latest cool thing or expression.

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
James Lee View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2005 at 05:02

Sorry, Sean...while you were away, nerds became the epitome of cool.

Seriously, I don't know that there's a big awareness of what I called 'nerd culture', but it's no big underground secret either. What I was referring to is the recent boom in the elements which have traditionally been the province or characteristics of nerds- in this case, referring mainly to the socially maladroit subculture that tends towards computers, science fiction, role-playing games, etcetera...progressive rock being one of the favored genres of music. The biggest boost to nerd culture was the widespread use of PCs, which one might say gave everybody a little nerdiness.

A nice book to encapsulate this phenomena is "Microserfs" by Douglas Coupland. It even talks a bit about the different images of 'nerds' and 'geeks'.

My main premise is that these elements have traditionally been part of a slightly sheepish (if not tacitly repressed) subculture but recently there's been much less stigma, and even a little pride, about accepting the nerd label; the mainstream has absorbed so many of these elements that one can now have a conversation about Tolkien, online gaming, obscure pop culture references and C++ in relatively varied social circles.

And there's plenty of room for subgenre specificity; one could refer to all of us as 'prog nerds' for having interest and knowledge about such a relatively obscure branch of modern music. You're correct about the obsessive quality; the difference between a 'nerd' and a simple fan is the difference between liking Genesis and being vehement about the Phil Collins issue.

I'm willing to characterize myself as a nerd- it's both self-deprecating humor and an admission that many of the stereotypical attributes apply. It's really only as accurate as any other stereotype, but an interesting social concept nevertheless. At least to some of us nerds.

Edited by James Lee
Swinton MCR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2005 at 05:38

Maani - Has replied for us all - Nice one Centurion.

I didn;t get past track 2 of the Mars Volta - they were not my cup of Tea - I'll have to re-listen when I'm in a more receptive mood for this sub-genre !

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2005 at 05:46

Hi James,

the difference between a 'nerd' and a simple fan is the difference between liking Genesis and being vehement about the Phil Collins issue.

I'm willing to characterize myself as a nerd- it's both self-deprecating humor and an admission that many of the stereotypical attributes apply. It's really only as accurate as any other stereotype, but an interesting social concept nevertheless. At least to some of us nerds.

Well I sort of figured that. I'm still not sure I would qualify as one. But self deprecating humour is always funny - Jews love this type of humour , that's why Woody Allen is funny. but if anybody else makes a joke about them it becomes anti-semitism. I make jokes about myself but apreciates less when other make them on me.

So a nerd is someone who gets involved in any subject of interest in a deep, profound manner as opposed to the shallowness of mass media attention. Might want to call this phenomenum Nerdism!!

It's going to take some time to get used to the idea that some of the people I write to are nerds.

I don't know if my ego can take it

Edited by Sean Trane
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
The Hemulen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2005 at 06:32
Originally posted by maani maani wrote:

My answer to the article would be this: Like the tortoise and the hare, punk may well have left prog "in the dust" at first.  However, punk went nowhere in a very short time, and lives on only in a handful of thrash metal bands.  Meanwhile, prog plodded along, calmly and humbly remaining true to its priniciples, and is not simply in a "resurgeance," but is now taking back its rightful place as an important, creative, viable and respectable subgenre of rock music.

Couldn't have put it better! I've not heard much of TMV yet, but I shall DEFINITELY be investigating them now!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12