FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Grateful Dead

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Grateful Dead
    Posted: July 13 2007 at 05:02
If the hippy comments may be held and the bluegrass influences slightly ignored I believe The Grateful Dead are one of the most progressive bands of all time... they developed a sound all their own, and the musicianship of Phil Lesh, Garcia, Weir and the Rhythm Devils shouldn't be ignored.  I believe the improvisational insanity that ensued with their meltdown jams in songs like Dark Star, The Other One, Space and so on are absolutely genius, and they had undeniable chemistry which they forged over decades, playing more shows than any band in history, so their ability to expand on each other's ideas was excellent.

Though I like their studio work, it is nothing in lieu of their live brilliance, so please don't judge by what recordings you may have heard.

For those who disagree, please don't finalize your opinion just yet, if I can find some way to send you their best performances of certain songs it might just change your mind...

And come on, they're a lot better than Phish. Big%20smile
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2007 at 05:28
the Dead were one of a kind and were indeed progressive, the only difference is that they used bluegrass, psych and country as a base instead of classical, jazz or electronic. Should they be here? I'm afraid it's not the right time, nor might it ever be, for the Dead to be on ProgArchives...

Edited by Atavachron - July 13 2007 at 05:29
SolomonsMarbles View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2007 at 05:47
Though they were heavily influenced by jazz, that's a justified answer.

And I just realized I posted this in the wrong forum.  Whoops.

Thank you, though.  

Edited by SolomonsMarbles - July 13 2007 at 05:47
Eetu Pellonpaa View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2007 at 06:53
Have they been suggested to Proto Prog genre? If so, did it get a cold shower? Tongue
RichardCorie View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2007 at 15:56
I have been listening to the older Grtaeful dead albums lately, mining the vinyl, and think that Anthem of the Sun is their most important album -- not their best, but their most important.
Here's why:
(1) It was a total departure from their first, diet-pill-and-pot fueled, album. It was in the style that really marked their live shows -- the seamlessly blended jam of carefully constructed cacophony.
(2) It marked their future directions, which lasted till the end. What Dead show was complete without one of the elements of That's It For The Other One?
(3) Much of it was live!
That said, their great albums ended for me after Europe '72. What came later just seemed to lack the power of Live Dead, or the lyrical beauty of, say, American Beauty.
I have one caveat: I was reading Bob Dylan's book, and he describes how after his bike accident he just couldn't find a way to get back to singing his songs, till he sat in with teh Grateful Dead -- they somehow unblocked him, and let him find his new voice without sounding lke he has a hernia. So, I'd say Dylan and the Dead also stands a great Dead album.
Last leaf fallen;
Bare earth where green was born.
Above my doorknob two eagles hang against a cloud?Sun comes up blood red?Wind yells among the stone?All graceful instruments are known.
Evans View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2007 at 12:01
Originally posted by RichardCorie RichardCorie wrote:

I have been listening to the older Grtaeful dead albums lately, mining the vinyl, and think that Anthem of the Sun is their most important album -- not their best, but their most important.
Here's why:
(1) It was a total departure from their first, diet-pill-and-pot fueled, album. It was in the style that really marked their live shows -- the seamlessly blended jam of carefully constructed cacophony.
(2) It marked their future directions, which lasted till the end. What Dead show was complete without one of the elements of That's It For The Other One?
(3) Much of it was live!
That said, their great albums ended for me after Europe '72. What came later just seemed to lack the power of Live Dead, or the lyrical beauty of, say, American Beauty.
I have one caveat: I was reading Bob Dylan's book, and he describes how after his bike accident he just couldn't find a way to get back to singing his songs, till he sat in with teh Grateful Dead -- they somehow unblocked him, and let him find his new voice without sounding lke he has a hernia. So, I'd say Dylan and the Dead also stands a great Dead album.
Dylan and The Dead is usually seen as one of the worse Dylan Live albums, seeing as neither Dylan nor the Dead was at their respective peaks during that period, but in my opinion, it is rather fantastic. :) It was the album which really made me want to hear more of Jerry Garcia and his guitar, and there are great versions of All along the watchtower and I Want you. Maybe the setlist wasn't the best it could have been (i especially want to replace Joey with something more interesting and jammable), but it's not a bad live album at all.

I have read Bob Dylan's "Chronicles" and i remember that part where he talked about the Dead, but i don't remember anything about a bike accident. His most famous bike accident was after Blond on Blonde, and Dylan and the Dead was recorded somewhere around... 88, i think.

'Let's give it another fifteen seconds..'
Ely78 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2007 at 12:10
"Europe '72" is a very beautiful live album. But Prog? Yes, if you speak for music progressive. But Prog Music? It's very difficult to choose this option because isn't very Prog Music. Prog Related, maybe. But this is too controversial Dead inclusion in this category.

Yes, in 70's definition of Rock Music bands like Grateful Dead, Led Zeppelin, Wishbone Ash, Chicago (and others) are Prog. But today is too strange considered Grateful Dead a part of Prog Music (and related). Maybe... If you speak in 70's terms Ok. But today...

So, If Grateful Dead are included in PA in Prog Related is a great inclusion. But if not Dead included in PA... Isn't bad.
When the love becomes poetry, distant from the eyes

(Quando l'Amore Diventa poesia/ Lontano Dagli occhi [Aphrodite's Child)
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2007 at 12:17
another band that if included.. just opens the doors for scores of others.  The Allman Brothers Band were much more heavily jazz influenced... with the blues instead of bluegrass thrown into pot.

I'd say yes.... in the broad sense, very progressive.... but no in a practical sense.  I have never once suggested bands like the ABB for inclusion here... however... additions like these have always.. and will always lend themselves to comparisons.  If the Dead were added.. the Allmans would have to be.. and the CDB and everyone else that added influences outside of mainstream rock like bluegrass, blues, country etc.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Ely78 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2007 at 13:17
Well... I've listen "Europe '72". It is a StarStarStarStarStar live album. But Prog? Yes, Music Progressive!!!

Edited by Ely78 - August 16 2007 at 13:18
When the love becomes poetry, distant from the eyes

(Quando l'Amore Diventa poesia/ Lontano Dagli occhi [Aphrodite's Child)
Minimalist777 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2007 at 15:26
I love The Dead!  I do not think they are progressive in the prog sense, but they were certainly innovative. Sadly I am not old enough to have seen them live, but I saw Bob Weir and Ratdog on Tuesday Big%20smile

Edited by Minimalist777 - August 17 2007 at 15:26
WWOSD?
What Would OliverStoned Do?
andu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2007 at 15:28
Originally posted by Minimalist777 Minimalist777 wrote:

I love the dead!

If I didn't knew what this thread is about I would have reported this post Wink
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2007 at 14:22
Originally posted by andu andu wrote:

Originally posted by Minimalist777 Minimalist777 wrote:

I love the dead!

If I didn't knew what this thread is about I would have reported this post Wink

I could find no reference to necrophilia in the rules - I suppose if we wrote it in,proscribing it, that would prevent members eulogising ELP....Tongue
 Post Reply Post Reply