FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLive Prog-rock is Dying

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2008 at 15:22
Originally posted by Les_Lifeson Les_Lifeson wrote:

Thanks guys, glad to be here. You'll no doubt eventually get sick of me though...I say what I mean, and usually, mean what I say....so enough of that, on with the show....

I really think that the internet is a double edge sword in that it does provide bands with heaps of outlets for them to flog their music, their image, their voice. And at the same time, it opens doors for them and can lead to huge audiences hearing about them, and hearing what they have to offer. This is a fantastic medium for such things - but the edge of the sword comes about when people download - or put another way - steal.

Now don't get me wrong, I am not about to stand up on my soapbox and point my finger at any of you here - or anyone - I admit it. I download music. And like others have said above, if its good, I will go out and buy a legit copy for my collection. This is a great thing to do - because it shows that it is not good enough to just have a copy of the music on the ipod, but in fact, it is important to have the original disc - to give support to the artists. But more and more this is becomming an exception to the rule. Most people download it, listen to it, throw it on the ipod, and then go and download something else, repeat. I would daresay the closest these songs ever come to be on disc is when they get burned and passed around to friends, and so on and so on.

Some would argue that this in itself is one of the main reasons why the music industry is in strife - and I couldn't argue against it.

The main problem is that as an artist gets known - ie, passed around from friend to friend, the only good thing that can happen from that point is - that hopefully they get good tour support. Album sales have suffered, so radio tours, tv slots don't exist - or are on a shoestring budget, because no money is coming in. It is very rare that record labels are willing to throw millions of dollars at bands anymore for publicity - simply because they know that the returns aren't there.

Back in the 70s, 80s, 90s - and up until the very late 90s, the writing was on the wall - but I don't think anyone could have predicted just how destructive a simple little file extension was going to be to the music industry - .mp3

Now days, of course, the term .mp3 is a household name. Take stock of other file extension names and ask yourself - how many are household names? Sure, techies and the like can rattle off more than we'd like to know - but just how many does grampa jones know of down the street? I would almost guarantee if you said, hey gramps - ever heard of an .mp3 - he would nod his head.

So, where does that leave us? It puts artists in a situation where on one hand they need the internet for the publicity, they they authorize,  but on the other hand they don't need their music pawned off like it was dirt - and was free for anyone to come along and take a scoop, or worse, fill their wheel-barrow up. And that is exactly what is happening.

I'm not saying that the internet is bad - its a fabulous tool - but like anything good it can be abused. The problem is how can bands use the net and not fall prey to illegal downloading of their music? I honestly don't think that answer exists yet. Sueing fans isn't the answer - but it may help curb it to some extent. But if you are honestly one of those fans who downloads your music, listens, then decides if he likes it or not. If he doesn't - does he delete it? Or does he have an obligation whether he likes it or not to go out and buy it?

That is a can of worms in itself. All this relates back to whether or not Prog-rock is dying - because the prog that we love is suffering from this, although, as stated, I don't believe it is dying. It's just not as healthy as it once was.

What part can we play?  How can we listen to the music, before we buy it? And should we be allowed to do just that? You can test drive a car before you buy it. If you don't like it - no sweat - move on and test drive until you find one you like. It's a good system - one with we all agree upon.

But you can't order a pizza, eat it, and then say, no, I don't like this, make me another - and not pay for it. It just doesn't work that way. I think we need to understand how important the music is that we choose to listen to - regardless of how we get it. And if you get it from an internet site where paying isn't an option,  perhaps you need to rethink just what it is that went into making that product. More and more often kids think that music "grows on trees". It's just there to be picked, ripe or not, whenever they choose. This "on demand" system that we live in has a hefty price - and one of those is our artists have paid with their creativity being sold for nothing. I honeslty think that this is a mentality that we need to teach kids in school. It's not enough for them to be told that illegal downloading is wrong - we have to teach it to them. Show them the consequences - on both sides of the coin. From the consumers perspective, where ticket, and merchandise prices are going through the roof to compensate, and from the artists perspective - where dreams are shattered, and dues are paid almost in blood - for a few dollars more.

Yeah, I can rant.....

But seriously - what can we do? What should we do? And more to the point - how do we do it?

OH MY GOD, I did not knew you were able to read my thoughts! Internet downloading has been essential for me to know bands and subsequently be able to buy their stuff, but most people i know think i am an idiot because i buy cds and just don't download it. Maybe, as always, education is the only way out. Here, take the internet (you deserve it).

Originally posted by p0mt3 p0mt3 wrote:

The record industry (like the film industry) suffers, in my point of view, because they keep shelling out crap on the public, and while many people accept it as 'music' those of us who are wiser to it don't always live in an area where good music is plentiful. I know that I live nowhere near any frecord store that keeps classic Genesis material in stock, and to me that is a shame, but at the same time, folks don't want to pay close to twenty bucks (sometimes more) for something that they may or may not like, especially with all the horrible sub-par music that is being released. The internet is only a small part of what is causing these big industries to fail, in my honest opinion. The rest of it is their own doing.

Anyway, that's all I'm going to say about this now, moving on.........

/edit for content - darqDean

i think we have the same problem dude, and that sucks. I can experience that every day: whenever i turn the radio on i feel like killing the freaking DJ, stores always have the same sh*tty cds and where there are good ones they are expensive Ouch

CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2008 at 15:26

I know what you are thinking -

Didn't you say up above that you never wanted the music we love - Prog - to be considered mainstream. I still stand by that!
I never want to find that it is and has succumbed to all the trappings that the music industry has to offer.
That would be a bad thing in more ways than I can think of - and believe me - I can think of alot.
But getting recognized is a far cry from being mainstream. Pehaps one leads to the other - I think that could be argued. But at the same time, if doesn't have to.
Recognition purely opens a band up to a wider audience. What the band does with that fame is up to them. If they turn into poseurs - well then - that's what they want. But it's not what I want. And I daresay if that were to happen to one of our prog rock gems that we love - the message would be loud and clear. They wouldn't do it for long.

Question don't got what you meant here. Prog was mainstream on the 70's. It just passed, just like any fashion to the mainstream media. However, unlike other fashions like grunge prog managed to survive and may never be mainstream again, just like disco, classical music, etc

khammer99 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2008 at 15:36

This will achieve fantastic results, imo. Not only will it open the bands up to radio play - it will in turn open the bands up to videos - and we all know how videos can be used as a great media tool to promote albums and songs.
I am not saying - sell out. Don't read that in my post. I am saying sell smart.
Wouldn't it be nice to hear that your favourite prog band was being nominated for something? Sure, sure - grammy's, shammy's - I know what you are thinking. But it would be nice, to turn it on and hear Dream Theater's name, or Spock's Beard, or The Flower Kings, etc, etc, etc. I would love to be able to say to them - yeah, that's my kinda music!

Why is it so important to have a band shoot videos or win awards? Who are you going to say "that's my kind of music" too? The bands themselves? 
 It just sounds to me, that you need your music accepted so you'll be accepted? I don't  know. Wither a band I like is popular or not, is irrelevant to me, and maybe to you too, but it doesn't come across like that from your message.
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has

been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.

- Terry Pratchett
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2008 at 15:50

My intention was never to inflame or cause an argument to break out amongst the other board members. My intention was merely to draw comparisons to why you think that Prog-rock is dying. Like all diseases that kill, they have an origin in something.

So, we will move on. As many of you will eventually come to understand, I am very opinionated - but I love my prog. Provided it's got the thing that makes good music good - the x factor - to coin a phrase.

So much stuff is coming out these days - which is why I don't think prog is dead. Take a look at insidemusic - SPV - the label that puts out alot of the stuff we listen to - their catalogue is chock-a-block full of prog. That's not all they publish - but one could easily get that impression due to the large number of bands under their roof.

I am sick to death of ridiculous lyrics, and 25 minute songs. I love a good epic, but come on! More often than not it's just an excuse to "prattle on" lyrically and musically. Sure these guys can play - but do we really need to hear them playing their "virtuoso" phrases, mixes, and and who knows what else for far too long? Back in the day, when Genesis and Kansas, Styx etc were writing songs - sure they wrote long songs - but they always sounded like songs! I don't need to hear how good Mike Portnoy is on the drums if it takes away from the song. I don't need to hear John Petrucci solo over and over again as if I didn't know how good he was.

Rush once fell into that trap - and they are imho one of the best bands out there - ever - to wear the moniker - prog rock. They wrote some amazing songs - some were 20 mins and more, but Rush evolved. Probably my favourite band of all time, they learned to write songs. Sure, many people would argue that many of the songs that they wrote after Moving Pictures were less and less prog rock - perhaps. But they learned to write songs that were able to turn an idea into something real, something you could understand, something you might relate to - and do it all, without compromising any of their genius, inside 5 minutes - or less. To me that is real musicianship. Being able to paint a canvas with less colors and still having it turn out to be fantastic.

This is where I feel alot of modern prog has failed. It rarely learned how to say alot with the whole "less is more" philosophy.
Now don't get me wrong - I love prog - I love it to bits - I just am sick of hearing the same stuff coming from alot of these bands over and over again.
Not to pick on Dream Theater - but their latest album Systematic Chaos is a mess. I think they started to lose the plot after SFAM. That was a fantastic album in of itself - and one of my favourite cds. It just works.

I think the point I am trying to make is that we need to hear more songs withing the songs we are hearing - if that makes sense. Noodling around and playing for the sake of playing is so old. Time to move on. Write songs, condense the thoughts into less words and modes and concentrate your talents.

This will achieve fantastic results, imo. Not only will it open the bands up to radio play - it will in turn open the bands up to videos - and we all know how videos can be used as a great media tool to promote albums and songs.
Wouldn't it be nice to hear that your favourite prog band was being nominated for something? Sure, sure - grammy's, shammy's - I know what you are thinking. But it would be nice, to turn it on and hear Dream Theater's name, or Spock's Beard, or The Flower Kings, etc, etc, etc. I would love to be able to say to them - yeah, that's my kinda music!

Don't know if i want to see prog on Grammy or any of those awards that are literally bought by the artists. Hell, there are more awards for R&B, rap, hip hop, etc than for rock, metal and other kinds of music. What sell more is what command which kind of award exists.

Moving on, i also think that some artists are indeed more interested on masturbatory craziness than on playing music (just see Yngwie Malmsteen for that), that Dream Theater last album is a shame (however i think that Octavarium was definitely a step forward after train of thought) and some artists keep making an increasingly amount of prog rock that made the punk come to existence back in the 70's (the kind of bloated and safe prog), when prog WAS mainstream.

Changing the subject drastically, i don't think that Rush was a progressive rock band, i just think that they made GREAT music in the 70's and that music had a LOT of prog influences, but it was still hard rock; just like Jethro Tull is not a progressive rock band, they just made complex music during the 70's that late on was labeled as pro rock (and thats is not me saying it, the god IAN ANDERSON himself said it, so, i guess, he knows about his works better than me Big%20smile).

CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2008 at 15:51
Originally posted by khammer99 khammer99 wrote:

Why is it so important to have a band shoot videos or win awards? Who are you going to say "that's my kind of music" too? The bands themselves? 
 It just sounds to me, that you need your music accepted so you'll be accepted? I don't  know. Wither a band I like is popular or not, is irrelevant to me, and maybe to you too, but it doesn't come across like that from your message.

Agreed brother!
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2008 at 16:09
Ahem.... read my lips: stay on topic....
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2008 at 16:12
Originally posted by Angelo Angelo wrote:

Ahem.... read my lips: stay on topic....

well, isn't the lack of exposure one of the things killing prog?
we are only discussing how much exposure we want Big%20smile
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2008 at 16:36
In a way your right, but you are about 5 steps ahead of the current reality Dean started with.....
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2008 at 16:41
168 threads later the point of view changed, but the subject is still the same man Wink
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2008 at 16:42
besides, if we stay forever discussing about the same thing it would be like running in circles. We gotta change the point of view, at least, to the thread still be "new"

Edited by CCVP - March 25 2008 at 16:43
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2008 at 18:12
If that's the case - the discussion ends and the thread dies or goes dormant. In the latter case, it will be a lot easier to revive the discussion when new insights arrive if you don't start dicussing other issues (i.e. go off topic) in such thread. If all that's said has been said, there's new threads for new topics. As Dean pointed out - a thread is not a chat room.
ISKC Rock Radio
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2008 at 18:19

If that's the case - the discussion ends and the thread dies or goes dormant. In the latter case, it will be a lot easier to revive the discussion when new insights arrive if you don't start dicussing other issues (i.e. go off topic) in such thread. If all that's said has been said, there's new threads for new topics. As Dean pointed out - a thread is not a chat room.

Ouch Ouch, i didn't meat that! Just that a subject have to be looked from its different angels and not from only one. We are trying to have a different perspective on the matter, and not change the subject. However, detours eventually appear and, because of that, it is important that the exquisite admin team of prog archives keep us always on the track Wink
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2008 at 18:29
Quote Ouch Ouch, i didn't meat that!

Meat indeed,  a good steak is exactly what you need with a black eye like that. Wink

Carry on... and make prog become undead alive again.
ISKC Rock Radio
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2008 at 18:38

Quote Ouch Ouch, i didn't meat that!

Meat indeed,  a good steak is exactly what you need with a black eye like that. Wink

Carry on... and make prog become undead alive again.

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I Meant to write "meant". But what the hell, i was a good joke. Cheers to you my friend. Approve Cool Clap

PetrucciPal View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2008 at 10:48
I totally agree with you, man. I hate the fact that people miss concerts just because they're not famous enough or they're too freakin' lazy to get up off o' their asses and get to a damn concert. lol

Rock on ^_^
For the <3 of John Petrucci!
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2008 at 13:40
Originally posted by PetrucciPal PetrucciPal wrote:

I totally agree with you, man. I hate the fact that people miss concerts just because they're not famous enough or they're too freakin' lazy to get up off o' their asses and get to a damn concert. lol

Rock on ^_^

Seconded
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2008 at 17:54
Originally posted by CCVP CCVP wrote:

Rock on ^_^

Seconded

Do you mean that they're not famous enough or that the concert-goer doesn't have enough interest in the speciific act to want to spend their money on them ?
It is not the public's duty, nor responsibility , to attend concerts just to "support" a band or music scene. The musician is not owed anything. The serious musician should be ready to work to find & build his fan base, i.e. earn it. If none can be found, it may be a realistic opinion on the quality of the music. Emphasis on the may be.
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2008 at 09:56
Originally posted by debrewguy debrewguy wrote:

Rock on ^_^

Seconded

Do you mean that they're not famous enough or that the concert-goer doesn't have enough interest in the speciific act to want to spend their money on them ?
It is not the public's duty, nor responsibility , to attend concerts just to "support" a band or music scene. The musician is not owed anything. The serious musician should be ready to work to find & build his fan base, i.e. earn it. If none can be found, it may be a realistic opinion on the quality of the music. Emphasis on the may be.

may be is the key expression here
khammer99 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2008 at 10:32
Ticket prices might also play into the decision of seeing a band or not. And I agree with debrewguy, that it is the responsibility of the artist to garner/earn support, not the other way around.
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has

been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.

- Terry Pratchett
PetrucciPal View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2008 at 19:25
Originally posted by debrewguy debrewguy wrote:

Rock on ^_^
Seconded
Do you mean that they're not famous enough or that the concert-goer doesn't have enough interest in the speciific act to want to spend their money on them ?It is not the public's duty, nor responsibility , to attend concerts just to "support" a band or music scene. The musician is not owed anything. The serious musician should be ready to work to find & build his fan base, i.e. earn it. If none can be found, it may be a realistic opinion on the quality of the music. Emphasis on the may be.

Well, I know that it's really not our responsibility to go, but I mean, part of the reason why people don't usually go is because the band isn't Rush or Yes or anything; they know that it's just another band that's starting out, so they automatically think that they suck. Or at least, a lot of people that I know do. lol
For the <3 of John Petrucci!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>