Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Thordendal´s Special Defects - Sol Niger Within
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThordendal´s Special Defects - Sol Niger Within

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thordendal´s Special Defects - Sol Niger Within
    Posted: July 22 2007 at 21:22
Ok, the time has come to talk about this album

Often overlooked, mostly ignored, this is one crazy album! It´s the only solo album from Meshuggah´s guitarrist Fredik Thordendal, but it´s really a mistake to call it a solo album, as, although Thordendal is the main composer, this feels like a whole band. With the incorporation of Tomas Haake taking over vocals and Karpa´s drummer Morten Agre, there is a similar yet different aproach than Meshuggah. There is definitly the complexity in the rhythm patterns and the ultra heavy guitars... but there is a lot of jazz, some humor, a lot of soloing which makes this go apart from the Meshuggah catalog. Still, its difficult that this will not go down with the Meshuggah fans.

I for one, if we continue with the Meshuggah talking, think its just as good as any of their material... I even would go as far as saying its better than some of their albums, specially the first ones... and a nice contender to the latter I and Catch 33... but, honestly, how can anything top I?...Wink

so, discuss...
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
Bj-1 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2007 at 21:26
Easily one of my favorite albums, ever!

It's avant/fusion/metal at it's very best, IMO. Thordendal really shows his compositional and technical skills really well, and his Holdsworth influenced solos are always amazing. Not an easy listening album really, but still an amazing one!
RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!
StarBreaker View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2007 at 00:38
It can definitely compete with Meshuggah, and is probably even better than most of their stuff (though I is kinda tough to beat).
Reverie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2007 at 01:35
Yep, amazing album. It should also be pointed out, for those who aren't aware, there are two versions: the original, and a re-release known as version 3.33

I haven't heard the 3.33 version, and i would like to, but i do have the original pressing witht he ridiculous (but still very cool) drum/keyboard duelling, which is what was switched out of ver 3.33 i believe (somebody correct me if i'm mistaken).

Anyway, really good stuff, and yes, at times it is better than Meshuggah in general.
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2007 at 14:22
I also consider it to me... easier on the ears than most Meshuggah, I even would give it to a non Meshuggah fan to get him into them
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
 Post Reply Post Reply