Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Who? Proto-Prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Who? Proto-Prog?
    Posted: July 22 2007 at 23:31
What is The Who doing on this website and why are they considered proto-prog?  Now, don't get me wrong, I like The Who a lot, I have Tommy and Who's Next.  I just don't think that they have  a place on this website; I am sure that their presence here cannot be reversed, but come on.  I have always thought of The Who as proto-punk.  They are basically the fathers of punk music, which is in complete opposition to progressive rock music.  I am not saying that I am against punk either.  But punk and progressive rock are two genres of music that are complete opposites.  The whole idea behind punk is that you don't have to know how to play your instruments;  emotion is more important than skill or technique.  The music is based on simplistic power chords.  As we all know, prog is completely the opposite; it prides itself on being complex (and still emotional).  To me, The Who is the farthest thing from "proto-prog."  I mean, just because you have a couple "concept" albums does not mean that you are prog.  It just seams to me that some people around here don't know much about genres of music.  I can't believe the guff I got for suggesting Steely Dan be placed in prog-related!  I'm sorry, but seeing The Who on this website is a totally mind-boggling to me.  Does anyone else share my viewpoint; or maybe someone can explain why a proto-punk band is on a progressive rock website!Angry
bluetailfly View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2007 at 23:46

^^ Just an FYI: This has been discussed ad nauseum in previous threads...

Edited by bluetailfly - July 22 2007 at 23:51
"The red polygon's only desire / is to get to the blue triangle."
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2007 at 23:51
this notion of the Who as proto-punk is quite bizarre.   Blue Cheer, the Troggs or the Kinks maybe, but the fact that 'My Generation' or a few other Who songs had a vague effect on a rebel-rock attitude is not the same as having a direct impact on a genere the way Who's early concept records did on Prog rock.

Edited by Atavachron - July 22 2007 at 23:59
Dim View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2007 at 23:55
^ not more bizzare than the who beig proto prog
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2007 at 00:17
Originally posted by jfleischh jfleischh wrote:

The whole idea behind punk is that you don't have to know how to play your instruments;  emotion is more important than skill or technique.

- the Who could play their instruments quite well... don't see your point.

I mean, just because you have a couple "concept" albums does not mean that you are prog.

- But in starting those concepts in 1968-69, it does make you Proto-prog.  

It just seams to me that some people around here don't know much about genres of music. 

- The issue of the Who as proto-prog is not about genres of music, but about historical impact.

I can't believe the guff I got for suggesting Steely Dan be placed in prog-related! 

I support you in that feeling.

Dim View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2007 at 00:38
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Originally posted by jfleischh jfleischh wrote:

The whole idea behind punk is that you don't have to know how to play your instruments;  emotion is more important than skill or technique.

- the Who could play their instruments quite well... don't see your point.
- except townshead

I mean, just because you have a couple "concept" albums does not mean that you are prog.

- But in starting those concepts in 1968-69, it does make you Proto-prog.  
- You know frank sinatra wrote a couple of concepts is he prog?

It just seams to me that some people around here don't know much about genres of music. 

- The issue of the Who as proto-prog is not about genres of music, but about historical impact.
- ...on punkWink

I can't believe the guff I got for suggesting Steely Dan be placed in prog-related! 

I support you in that feeling.
- no opinion for steely dan

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2007 at 00:42
Originally posted by schizoid_man77 schizoid_man77 wrote:

[QUOTE=Atavachron] [QUOTE=jfleischh] But in starting those concepts in 1968-69, it does make you Proto-prog.   - You know frank sinatra wrote a couple of concepts is he prog?

many artists had recorded albums that had a loose association between songs, but not a sequentially-told story done in a rock format.

Edited by Atavachron - July 23 2007 at 00:43
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2007 at 01:06

this notion of the Who as proto-punk is quite bizarre.   Blue Cheer, the Troggs or the Kinks maybe, but the fact that 'My Generation' or a few other Who songs had a vague effect on a rebel-rock attitude is not the same as having a direct impact on a genere the way Who's early concept records did on Prog rock.

Are you sure my friend?

Made In England...
 The Who, Kinks, Yardbirds & Small Faces

Home >> Punk History >> Made In England 

The following bands were quintessentially English and their influence was felt both across the Atlantic and down the years to the Pistols. They incorporated the distorted blues of Bo Diddley and mixed in pop and a healthy dose of youth nihilism to give their music an edge.
The Who. f**k me this is what it was all about. Cool clothes , attitude and a visceral aggressive sound of fury. In 1965 Townsend wrote "My personal motivation onstage is simple. It consists of a hate of every kind of pop music and a hate of everything our group has done...I don't see any career ahead." An awesome band with the love / hate relationship of Daltrey ( "I would have been a criminal if I hadn't been a singer") and Townsend and the totally lunatic Keith Moon on drums. Feedback instrument destruction and some classic songs. The archetypal leaders of a youth culture... Mod .. but the template for later heroes. The first band to capture teenage angst. 

Unfortunately the 'Hope I die before I get Old' refrain of My Generation turned to ashes as even aged 90 they are still trundling that song out to their generation. Worse than that they gave us Tommy which was part of pops dark ages but we'll come to that., Lets instead celebrate some classic early stuff like I Can't Explain, I Can See For Miles, Substitute and I'm a Boy. Classic pop nihilism !!. Check out any early footage of Townsend destroying his instrument, arms windmilling as he hits the guitar, Daltrey swinging the mike and Mooney going nuts. Play loud. Then look at the Jam and say I wonder who their influences were

On the punkometer influence Patti Smith ,The Drones and Suburban Studs covered My Generation. Raped used to cover I'm A Boy and the Sex Pistols of course did Substitute and I'm A Boy.

Tell them (Punk 77 is the most important Punk site), I find much more coherence in their arguments than in ours.

But again, they are already here and nothing can be done.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - July 23 2007 at 01:07

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2007 at 01:13
that's a passionate write-up from punk77 but it doesn't persuade... That the band had influence on multiple areas of popular music, and on certain artists who later were labelled as 'punk', doesn't negate their effect on concept rock and, consequently, prog.

Edited by Atavachron - July 23 2007 at 01:15
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2007 at 01:24

That the band had influence on multiple areas of popular music, and on certain artists who later were labelled as 'punk',

ClapClapClapClapClap

You made my point, Proto Prog is for bands that "Rock Bands in existence prior to 1969 that influenced the development of progressive rock The late 60's was a predominately experimental period for music. These bands were moving in a stream that eventually led to prog. The influence could have come from new sophisticated forms of writing and playing music, recording techniques, new instruments and vocal harmonies to name a few. Some of these bands became progressive rock bands themselves others did not."

Not for bands who influenced everything and maybe could have influenced Prog in a relative way.

Again, I find the MOD culture absolutely consistent with PUNK and with no Prog relation, the Who in the 60's WERE A MOD BAND.

Iván

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2007 at 01:33
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

That the band had influence on multiple areas of popular music, and on certain artists who later were labelled as 'punk',

ClapClapClapClapClap

You made my point, Proto Prog is for bands that "Rock Bands in existence prior to 1969 that influenced the development of progressive rock The late 60's was a predominately experimental period for music. These bands were moving in a stream that eventually led to prog. The influence could have come from new sophisticated forms of writing and playing music, recording techniques, new instruments and vocal harmonies to name a few. Some of these bands became progressive rock bands themselves others did not."[/

and a big thanks to you, Ivan, for helping me to make mine

The Whistler View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2007 at 01:37
Let us not forget that one a band the Who competed with was Pink Floyd...dunno why that needed to be said, but this seems like as good a place as any to drop it in. And show off my ((largely) useless) knowledge (i.e., trivia).

...Sorry, I'll go now...
"There seem to be quite a large percentage of young American boys out there tonight. A long way from home, eh? Well so are we... Gotta stick together." -I. Anderson
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2007 at 01:39
The fact that Punk 77 hates the Who is enough reason for them to be here.
"There seem to be quite a large percentage of young American boys out there tonight. A long way from home, eh? Well so are we... Gotta stick together." -I. Anderson
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2007 at 01:40
well I tend to consider Pink Floyd psych above all else, even through to Animals-- but of course early psych had a big influence on Prog... let's not go there

Edited by Atavachron - July 23 2007 at 01:40
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2007 at 01:41

well I tend to consider Pink Floyd psych above all else, even through to Animals-- but of course early psych had a big influence on Prog... let's not go there

Well, I've always wondered...(ala Seinfeld): "The Moody Blues, I mean, what's up with them? Am I right?"

(Besides, didn't the Floyd do extended tracks, avantegarde crap, yadda yadda yadda...we're supposed to love all that, right?)

Edited by The Whistler - July 23 2007 at 01:42
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2007 at 02:09

Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

ClapClapClapClapClap

You made my point, Proto Prog is for bands that "Rock Bands in existence prior to 1969 that influenced the development of progressive rock The late 60's was a predominately experimental period for music. These bands were moving in a stream that eventually led to prog. The influence could have come from new sophisticated forms of writing and playing music, recording techniques, new instruments and vocal harmonies to name a few. Some of these bands became progressive rock bands themselves others did not."[/

and a big thanks to you, Ivan, for helping me to make mine

I don't see how Atavachron, Proto Prog is the natural limk between Psychedelia and Prog.

More advanced than Psyche but not yet totally Prog. Proto Prog bands essencially were the next step in musical evolution between Psyche and Prog and for that reason Proto bands share  Psyche and Prog elements that you can find in each and every band listed, The Who has none, they were playing aggressive Blues oriented Rock, while other bands were miles ahead them.

This is not bad, The Who never pretended being a Prog band, they were good in their style, but bands like Sweetwater or Arthur Brown were miles ahead of them.

Destroying instruments, auto destructive behaviour is much more related with Punk and that paraphernalia was being used by The Who.

Only with Quadrophenia they approach a bit more to Prog, but it was 1973 and they could be at the most Prog Related, we are judging a band like The Who for their less Prog Related material pre-70's instead of checking Quadrophenia.

But again, this is done.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - July 23 2007 at 02:13

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2007 at 02:21
much of what you point out is acurrate, Ivan, but again I stress that none of it deletes history-- the effects the Who's theme albums (and perhaps certain cuts on Who Sells Out) had on what a rock album could be, the size, theater and sophistcation, is clear and deeply felt.. most markedly on prog, not punk.

Edited by Atavachron - July 23 2007 at 02:22
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2007 at 02:31

much of what you point out is acurrate, Ivan, but again I stress that none of it deletes history-- the effects the Who's theme albums (and perhaps certain cuts on Who Sells Out) had on what a rock album could be, the size, theater and sophistcation, is clear and deeply felt.. most markedly on prog, not punk.

1. Chuck Berry
  2. Little Richard
  3. Elvis Presley
  4. The Rolling Stiones
  5. The Animals

Had influence in everything that came later, but we can't include them,. because they are generic influences for all Rock the case of The Who is exactly the same.

Proto Prog is for bands that were DIRECT INFLUENCE for Prog, and that' not the case of The Who.

The Who may not had existed and Prog would never been affected, take psyche from History or The Moody Blues or The Nice or Pink Floyd Psyche era, and there's probably not Prog as we know it.

Cheers.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - July 23 2007 at 02:33

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2007 at 02:38
prog might be similar without the Who, but not exactly the same..

..and they're a lot more Proto than the bloody Doors

Edited by Atavachron - July 23 2007 at 02:43
Speakerfish View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2007 at 02:47
The Who drew a lot of symphonic influence, as well as avant-garde composers (Baba O'Reily). I always thought it was interesting how they juxtaposed proto-punk with those influences. That fusion alone should merit, at least, a "proggish".
Dissonance; subtle harmonic dissonance
Contemplating and completing the negative space
Romantic symphonies left on the floodplains
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>