Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Who? Proto-Prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2007 at 17:52
Originally posted by Easy Livin Easy Livin wrote:

A new thread is needed in the "Suggest bands" section for the Bonzos if they are being proposed for addition.

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=35591

A B Negative View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2007 at 10:18
Why can't The Who be proto-punk and proto-prog?
"The disgusting stink of a too-loud electric guitar.... Now, that's my idea of a good time."
Yorkie X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2007 at 10:34
can`t believe Sabbath aint here but the who is man  ?  Wacko
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2007 at 10:38

^ Both bands albums come at the height of the prog-rock movement, so I don't know how either are proto

"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Chicapah View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2007 at 10:45
One of the things I love about this site is the open-mindedness of the members but that seems to be in short supply when it comes to the Who.  Like them or not, they blazed a trail that contributed to what became progressive rock because they thought outside the box.  If one has a problem with Pete and the boys being here then I would venture to say that Led Zep, Beatles, Deep Purple and many others would fail to qualify for similar reasons.  I suggest that you read the reviews for the Who albums and consider the rational arguments for their inclusion before writing them off.  Or just get over it.  Either one.  Smile
"Literature is well enough, as a time-passer, and for the improvement and general elevation and purification of mankind, but it has no practical value" - Mark Twain
1800iareyay View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2007 at 10:50
Originally posted by Chicapah Chicapah wrote:

If one has a problem with Pete and the boys being here then I would venture to say that Led Zep, Beatles, Deep Purple and many others would fail to qualify for similar reasons.
Man, you just had to open that floodgate, didn't you?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2007 at 10:51
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

^ Both bands albums come at the height of the prog-rock movement, so I don't know how either are proto

Proto-Prog definition

Rock Bands in existence prior to 1969 that influenced the development of progressive rock. The late 60's was a predominately experimental period for music. These bands were moving in a stream that eventually led to prog. The influence could have come from new sophisticated forms of writing and playing music, recording techniques, new instruments and vocal harmonies to name a few. Some of these bands became progressive rock bands themselves others did not.

i think The Who have met this definition since 1966, when they released A Quick One.
"The disgusting stink of a too-loud electric guitar.... Now, that's my idea of a good time."
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2007 at 11:00
^ I disagree. I'm not taking away any influence The Who had in the rock spectrum. Indeed, nearly every rock band since has been influenced by them. I'm also not taking away from the band's musical prowless. I think both Who's Next and Quadrophenia are absolultely genius, great song writing, 5 star albums. However, I think these albums were influenced by the progressive rock movement which was at its height. Pre-69 The Who were doing things that would forever change and influence rock musicians. In the 70s they were bitten by the prog bug and were very much filing suit with their unique tinge of it.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2007 at 11:08

I personally think The Who are as prog as many bands on the Archives but, since many don't, proto-prog fits the bill.

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2007 at 11:18

^ I disagree. I'm not taking away any influence The Who had in the rock spectrum. Indeed, nearly every rock band since has been influenced by them. I'm also not taking away from the band's musical prowless. I think both Who's Next and Quadrophenia are absolultely genius, great song writing, 5 star albums. However, I think these albums were influenced by the progressive rock movement which was at its height. Pre-69 The Who were doing things that would forever change and influence rock musicians. In the 70s they were bitten by the prog bug and were very much filing suit with their unique tinge of it.

hmmm.....  obviously no one is 'in' Townshend's head.  However I think he can be seen much like Waters... he has his vision...and he wasn't a slave to the prevailing currents around him.  It's easy to see the prog influence on Zeppelin...they went from stealing blues songs to having prog rock creep into some of their music. That is why they went in PR (disagree still as I do with their inclusion). However to say that the Who suddenly started in the 70's making prog ignores a more general concept of what prog is about.  That is what the Who brought to rock...and what prog was all about. The Who influenced prog on an order of light years more than the prog movement influenced them. It's all opinion of course... and I think the bio states nicely that point of view.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2007 at 12:36
^
The Who brought plenty to rock, but we don't hail every innovation as progressive or there would be scores more bands here. I don't think what they were doing before the 70s necessarily contributed to the progressive aspect of the prog rock we know (though beyond a doubt they did to the rock part).

Anyway I'm not necessarily against their inclusion giiven it fits the interpretation we have of proto-prog at the archives. It's not a interpretation or to some degree even a genre I agree with but that's the way it is and I know there's no changing it.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2007 at 14:31

^
The Who brought plenty to rock, but we don't hail every innovation as progressive or there would be scores more bands here. I don't think what they were doing before the 70s necessarily contributed to the progressive aspect of the prog rock we know (though beyond a doubt they did to the rock part).

awesome.... I really do love how people can look at the same picture and draw different interpretations from it.  I don't mean that as a smartass but in a serious way.  For me the Who's real importance was not exactly for rock in general (we have the more blues based groups where rock has always tended to lay, like Zeppelin,  to count as the major influences on rock in general) but where the Who really influenced rock was again for what I tried to mention in the bio by bringing intellectualism and 'art' (along with all it's pretentiousness  and seriousness)  to rock music... and that again is exactly what prog was ALL about when you dissect prog down to the bone.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2007 at 11:03
Originally posted by A B Negative A B Negative wrote:

Why can't The Who be proto-punk and proto-prog?
The Who is proto punk and proto prog, the styles are not mutually exclusive ie Roxy Music, David Bowie, Eno, VDGG, some of Fripp's late 70s early 80s stuff etc.
mrcozdude View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2007 at 11:26
the only thing i have against this,is calling the who punk related,just cuz of power chords and the high energy the provide which to be honest if you listen to most albums isnt always trademark for example quadrophenia,a quick one,who are you,tommy no real relivance to punk and even with the my generation the song writing capabiltys are much more complex then punk music.Weather there should be on here or not, i dont care the more awesome bands the merrier.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2007 at 11:43
Originally posted by mrcozdude mrcozdude wrote:

the only thing i have against this,is calling the who punk related,just cuz of power chords and the high energy the provide which to be honest if you listen to most albums isnt always trademark for example quadrophenia,a quick one,who are you,tommy no real relivance to punk and even with the my generation the song writing capabiltys are much more complex then punk music.Weather there should be on here or not, i dont care the more awesome bands the merrier.
I agree, the Who are way more polished and complex than most early punk bands, but I do recall in the very very early days of punk, many punkers cited Quadrophenia as an influence. Probably the second most cited influence was Kiss. This was in their words, not mine.

Edited by Easy Money - August 31 2007 at 11:43
jimidom View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2007 at 12:38
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

I agree, the Who are way more polished and complex than most early punk bands, but I do recall in the very very early days of punk, many punkers cited Quadrophenia as an influence. Probably the second most cited influence was Kiss. This was in their words, not mine.

I know where they are coming from regarding Kiss as an influence. In their very early days, Kiss shared the bill with bands like the New York Dolls and the Harlots of 42nd St.
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." - HST

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2007 at 14:02

I won't talk about The Who belonging here or not, becvause once they are here, they can't be deleted, so why loose time.

But The Who are DIRECTLY related to Punk. They were a MOD band  (Townshend described themselves as Mod posers because they were College material except Keith who was a real Mod).

Mod is the direct predecessor and base of the Punk movement, specuially the "Gang Mods" who were incredibly violent and enemies of Rock but specially enemies of Pshychedelia (My Generation was almost their anthem), as a fact Quadrophenia is a retrospective view of the MOD culture, just look at Jimmy with his scooter with a lot of mierrors as a rebelion to the British law that forced every motorcycle to have at least one mirror.

So if the relation of The Who with Prog is doubious, their relation with Punk is direct and undeniable, they were a MOD band this is not an opinion, is an historic fact.

Mod

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - September 01 2007 at 12:35

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2007 at 14:23
Originally posted by jimidom jimidom wrote:

Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

<FONT face="Times New Roman, Times, serif" color=#330099 size=4>I know where they are coming from regarding Kiss as an influence. In their very early days, Kiss shared the bill with bands like the New York Dolls and the Harlots of 42nd St.
As I remember it, the British punks were more apt to name the Who and Roxy Music as inspiration, and the punks in California were more apt to name Kiss.
P.S. Its nice seeing Coltrane on here.
mrcozdude View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2007 at 10:44
I would of thought punk would be more inspired more the mod lifestyle then mod music as they were more of a statement,i guess an influence non the less.But now the discussion should be can punk related be in progressive music?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2007 at 11:31

I would of thought punk would be more inspired more the mod lifestyle then mod music as they were more of a statement,i guess an influence non the less.But now the discussion should be can punk related be in progressive music?
I am not interested in trying to influence who goes on this site, but the existence of music that draws from punk and prog is widespread, besides the aforementioned Roxy, Eno, Bowie and VDGG, there is also the Minutemen, Pere Ubu, Devo, Talking Heads, Gone, No Means NO, Nuerosis, Victim's Family, Massacre, John Zorn, Mr Bungle, Faith No More, Vernon Reid, and probably countless others I don't know about.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>