Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAre you Experienced? Jimi Hendrix

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Does the Jimi Hendrix Experience belong here?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
22 [26.19%]
62 [73.81%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2007 at 19:18
Originally posted by progismylife progismylife wrote:

Hendrix is not prog nor will he ever be.

I think 'nor will he ever be' is unneeded in this case.

(because he's dead)
progismylife View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2007 at 19:23
Originally posted by Shakespeare Shakespeare wrote:

Originally posted by progismylife progismylife wrote:

Hendrix is not prog nor will he ever be.

I think 'nor will he ever be' is unneeded in this case.

(because he's dead)

That is what I was getting at.
Dim View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2007 at 20:17
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

Originally posted by meinmatrix meinmatrix wrote:

Jimi plays blues. Smile

Like nobody played it before ... Big%20smile

Stevie ray vaughn is probably 80 times better though...

I would rather see stevie hear then JimiBig%20smile
sheeves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2007 at 22:32
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

No. But this is just a personal opinion ... the objective criteria to tell non-prog psychedelic apart from prog psychedelic still elude me.

Thank you for defending me Mike
anyways, i did not know there was such a thing as progressive psychdelic
I saw the psychedelic section, and thought, Jimi Hendrix is psychedelic, so why isn't he in the psychedelic section
anyways, I am confused i guess by certain additions

also, to the people saying he plays blues, so does procol harum
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2007 at 22:58
even Jimi's most 'progressive' work on Axis and Ladyland was still acid/blues... No
sheeves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2007 at 23:05
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

even Jimi's most 'progressive' work on Axis and Ladyland was still acid/blues... No

the thing is, acid is part of psychedelia
and psychedelic rock is in progarchives, i guess i don't know what prog is any more, and from now on i probably won't care
and like i said, procol harum sounds more like pure blues to me than anything else
erik neuteboom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2007 at 23:08
This site is named Prog Archives, an abbreviation of Progressive Archives so I would like to welcome The Jimi Hendrix Experience on this site. I am looking forward to review it among reviews about previous additions like Iron Maiden, Talk  Talk, Osibisa, JM Jarre and Magnum, I think The Jimi Hendrix Experience their progressive ideas on Electric Ladyland will be superior in comparison with those aforementioned 'progressive' bands Thumbs%20Up
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2007 at 23:13
Originally posted by sheeves sheeves wrote:

the thing is, acid is part of psychedelia
and psychedelic rock is in progarchives, i guess i don't know what prog is any more, and from now on i probably won't care
and like i said, procol harum sounds more like pure blues to me than anything else

the psychedelic movement helped contribute to Prog, but Hendrix's small amount of progressive psych material didn't have the same impact on Prog as that of, say, Pink Floyd or Jefferson Airplane. I for one thought the Doors should never have been added to PA...

JesusisLord View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2007 at 23:55

This all started a while back with the inclusion of Queen, ( to this day, I cannot understand what they are doing in the Progarchives.) The floodgate had been opened and it was then noted  that the progarchives would soon have to change it's name to the Rockarchives.It was that mistake that has led to this confusion. Does Hendrix belong?  Well, if  The Who, Led Zeppelin, The Doors, Jefferson Airplane etc. belong then so does Jimi!

And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of God the Father. Phillipians 2:11
Dim View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2007 at 00:35
Originally posted by erik neuteboom erik neuteboom wrote:

This site is named Prog Archives, an abbreviation of Progressive Archives so I would like to welcome The Jimi Hendrix Experience on this site. I am looking forward to review it among reviews about previous additions like Iron Maiden, Talk  Talk, Osibisa, JM Jarre and Magnum, I think The Jimi Hendrix Experience their progressive ideas on Electric Ladyland will be superior in comparison with those aforementioned 'progressive' bands Thumbs%20Up

Maiden is very progressive, they're guitar playing is very noodly, they show great amounts of technical talent and they're lyrics are much more sophisticated than the average metal bands. Besides, everyone in Maiden was actually an avid prog listener, except Dickonson.

Jimi, can only boast guitar playng which I dont consider very good. IMO
proghairfunk View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2007 at 00:55
As much as I love Hendrix, I have to say no.  I'd say he influenced the Proto prog bands more than the prog bands.  So in a roundabout way yes?

I think I'm just trying to stand up for him.

So no.  I guess...Cry
Eetu Pellonpaa View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2007 at 01:56
I voted "Yes", though these polls don't have a fundamental effect for what is included in proto or related or not: Many of the bands added there had been voted "no" in previous polls.

Jimi is not prog, so he couldn't be in Psych prog genre, but in my opinion his playing style and musical ideas done with the Experience group (along with the live improvisations of Cream) set standards to the acid rock guitar playing style and expanded the psychedelic musical forms from the mid 60's rock towards more wider perspection, and he influenced many Psych prog and Krautrock musicians like Manuel Göttsching. There wouldn't be Ash Ra Tempel with out Hendrix!

Also blues style doesn't exclude anyone out from the proto prog section, nor even the propg section IMO: If you listen mid 70's Pink floysd songs, many of them are just slow blues songs with long synth chords and some effects played upon them (like Shine on You Crazy Diamond etc.). I don't think there are any musical reasons to not include him to proto prog, but as long as the proto and related artists are in a same zones, people wont be happy as non-prog artists are introduced there; I think it's seen like some XO Cognag would be mixed with Coca Cola.

Just my penny for the debate, thanks. Smile
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2007 at 02:47
Originally posted by JesusisLord JesusisLord wrote:

This all started a while back with the inclusion of Queen, ( to this day, I cannot understand what they are doing in the Progarchives.) ...

So I guess you haven't heard Queen II yet?Big%20smile
NotSoKoolAid View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2007 at 02:49
Jimi Hendrix was not a part of the progressive rock movement. Going beyond this he is progressive (in dictionary-sense) as someone mentioned earlier in this topic (thousands have), he played the blues like no other. I believe that's a truth, and therefore he took blues music in places it hadn't been before. Yes took classical music where it hadn't been before. Mahavishnu Orchestra took jazz where it hadn't been before. See the trend?

On the other hand, being the strict person I am I don't believe all these psychedelic "proto-prog"/"prog-related" groups (beatles, who, led zeppelin, jimi hendrix, etc) should actually be put on the same level as the prog-rock classics we have here, if they even have to be here at all. I'd prefer if they weren't, as much as I love these groups. The more you blur the lines between progressive and not progressive, the more the term progressive becomes meaningless to everything and everyone. Stop applying the word to everything, please. For God sakes save the term for when it actually applies.

Edited by NotSoKoolAid - July 25 2007 at 02:50
ghost_of_morphy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2007 at 03:18
I voted no.  The only reason I could think for possibly justifying including him is that his style influenced just about every kid who picked up a guitar after 1970, but I don't  think that you could claim that that influence was something particularly pertaining to prog.
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2007 at 03:44
A number of the responses here say no because he isn't prog.

Let's take that as read, he died before prog was born. Did he influence prog though? Should be be added as Proto Prog.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2007 at 03:49
if anything, Prog influenced him. We know that he very much liked certain prog acts, even lesser ones such as Touch. But as you point out Bob, he died before he had a chance to explore this area.

Edited by Atavachron - July 25 2007 at 03:50
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2007 at 04:06
Originally posted by erik neuteboom erik neuteboom wrote:

"Prog Archives, the ultimate Prog Rock Archives"

there was already a huge topic about this, mr. Erik. Wink

And I don't see how Hendrix relates to Iron Maiden, Talk Talk, Osibisa, Jarre (?!) or Magnum (who, themselves, are between prog and non-prog).

To tell you the truth, I feel that Hendrix has some progressive worth, whilst thinking of other very stretched and inconsistent great bands added under the same "suspicion" that they have influenced progressive rock. But I decided not to go by this way of thinking (that Hendrix deserves what X,Y,Z don't), because I actually criticize it.

Therefore, I'm more thinking that Hendrix is a master of his blues and his psych, but never good for a prog or proto-prog influence.
Eetu Pellonpaa View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2007 at 04:13

if anything, Prog influenced him. We know that he very much liked certain prog acts, even lesser ones such as Touch.

Touch are also a proto prog band, they released their album 1968. Before this album Jimi had already released "Are You Experenced" and "Axis: Bold as Love" records. I think they are very influental albums concidering the evaluation of Psychedelic prog and Krautrock. They didin't influence YES nor GENESIS though.
mystic fred View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2007 at 03:28
Hendrix definitely deserves to be included in PA - his influence on psyche and prog metal is inestimable - listen to Electric Ladyland, most cite this as a blues album but IMHO an essential blueprint for prog-metal (and Axis..).Smile

Edited by mystic fred - August 02 2007 at 03:28
Prog Archives Tour Van
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>