Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Beatles versus The Who

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Poll Question: What is the best?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
54 [58.06%]
39 [41.94%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2007 at 08:18
to be honest: neither have much to do with prog. If there is one it's The Who.
They made Won't get fooled again, the long version of that song is at least somewhat progressive. I can't think of any Beatles-song in that categorie. I think the Stones (Time waits for no one, We love you) are even more progressive than The Beatles.
To me The Beatles are even  the opposite of prog because they made short and simple songs with hardly any instrumental solos.
So what are they doing on progarchives ?
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2007 at 08:38
The Beatles are here as proto-prog, which doesn't mean we consider them to be a prog band.
Britrocker View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2007 at 09:03
If all you've listened to, from either band are the "popular" hits. Those most commonly heard on radio. Then I'm afraid that you will have a pretty narrow frame of reference. Both bands have been hugely influential to fans and artists alike. While it could be said that THE WHO were one of the great pioneers of hard rock, concept albums, and that might make them more obvious as a choice for "Prog Rock" band. You will never, and i mean NEVER, find a band more influential to the contemporary rock music of the last 40 years than the THE BEATLES. Take the music of any current Prog Rock band, and you will find the music of the Beatles in there somewhere. It might be there for ten minutes or just ten seconds. It could be in the melody, harmonies, instrumentation, arrangement or even recording techniques. They did so much to break with convention and try new things at every step. A catalogue of such diverse and successful music In less than 10 years.

Do yourself a favor. Beg, steal or borrow "The BEATLES ANTHOLOGY" on DVD.

progrules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2007 at 10:46

All I'm trying to say is that to me progarchives is (was) a true progressive music website as a platform for those kind of bands. If it is also ment for all kinds off pop music it becomes a music-website in which all kinds of music and albums are reviewed. That's not what it originally was or was meant to be in my opinion.

I may be a newbie but I visit this website for over 3 years now and back then there was no Beatles or Santana in some kind of categorie. Where does it end ?

ClashWho View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2007 at 14:21
Originally posted by progrules progrules wrote:

To me The Beatles are even  the opposite of prog because they made short and simple songs with hardly any instrumental solos.
So what are they doing on progarchives ?

They're listed as proto-prog for their enormous influence on the progressive rock bands that would follow in their wake. If you don't think they're an important building block for what would become known as progressive rock, then, all I can say is listen to "Eleanor Rigby", "Tomorrow Never Knows" and "A Day in the Life", among numerous other visionary tracks, and see if you change your mind.
ClashWho View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2007 at 14:24

I may be a newbie but I visit this website for over 3 years now and back then there was no Beatles or Santana in some kind of categorie. Where does it end ?

If you're referring to proto-prog, then it will end when all the notable bands and artists that laid an important part of the foundation that progressive rock built upon are added. Look at it as a history lesson, rather than a bunch of bands that don't belong. Progressive rock didn't just spring up out of nowhere, and the proto-prog section is just trying to fill in that history.

Edited by ClashWho - September 19 2007 at 14:26
jimidom View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2007 at 14:24

Where does it end ?
That is very good question! I understand that a sub-genre of progressive metal is in the works called post metal or something like that. 

With regard to the Beatles (and the Who), they are considered proto prog, which means that during their history they wrote and recorded music which was"prototypical" for progressive rock. The Beatles may have written and recorded cute little 2 minute pop songs prior to 1966, but by then they were becoming very experimental. "Tomorrow Never Knows" has little in common with a song like "I Wanna Hold Your Hand".

I understand where you are coming from because I was quite surprised to see bands like Talk Talk, Split Enz, and the Church on PA, but upon closer inspection and listening to the whole of their catalogues I can see why they are here.
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." - HST

Revolver View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2007 at 21:23
 The Beatles used synthesizers on Abbey Road way before the Who and used to great effect on the  song I Want You She's So Heavy a very prog rock song. Songs like Tomorrow Never Knows, Strawberry Fields Forever and A Day in the Life are prog rock songs and it influenced a whole bunch of future progressive rock artists. The Beatles did prog rock songs just not whole albums of it they were playing many types of music also.
Shakespeare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2007 at 21:28
When you say VS...do you mean...

to the death?!?
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2008 at 12:56
This one is a little unfair cause of The Who I know everything from The Beatles Abbey Road and something from White Album and Sgy Peppers.

I think the Beatles are the Rock n Roll creators but The who has much more "prog" stuff we could say and they have rock operas and great masterpieces. I'll go for The Who
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2008 at 17:23
The Beatles were so experimental and varied in styles. I choose them, no doubt.
jimmy_row View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2008 at 22:47
The BLODDY 'HO!  They made a semi-concept right around the time The Beatles first did, and they stuck around long enough to reach the same heights as the progressive bands...Quadrophenia and Who's Next are near the peak of '70s rock (...and Tommy too) that stand the test of time as well as anything.
Signature Writers Guild on strike
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2008 at 23:18
love  both bands..... prog before prog was...  influence upon rock that can not really be measured...

hmmm... so going will stop being pedantic here..

I simply get off watching Keith Moon the the rest of the group perform live.... my God....
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2008 at 23:49
Originally posted by jimidom jimidom wrote:

Where does it end ?
That is very good question! I understand that a sub-genre of progressive metal is in the works called post metal or something like that. 

With regard to the Beatles (and the Who), they are considered proto prog, which means that during their history they wrote and recorded music which was"prototypical" for progressive rock. The Beatles may have written and recorded cute little 2 minute pop songs prior to 1966, but by then they were becoming very experimental. "Tomorrow Never Knows" has little in common with a song like "I Wanna Hold Your Hand".

I understand where you are coming from because I was quite surprised to see bands like Talk Talk, Split Enz, and the Church on PA, but upon closer inspection and listening to the whole of their catalogues I can see why they are here.

helluva good post.....  you are the kind of posters that make 'working'  for the site worth it.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
MHDTV View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2008 at 12:55
Originally posted by cacho cacho wrote:

This one is a little unfair cause of The Who I know everything from The Beatles Abbey Road and something from White Album and Sgy Peppers.

I think the Beatles are the Rock n Roll creators but The who has much more "prog" stuff we could say and they have rock operas and great masterpieces. I'll go for The Who

What? The Beatles didn't create Rock&Roll for sh*t. Rock & Roll died in the early 60's.
Freak yo' swerve
MHDTV View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2008 at 12:56
Originally posted by jimmy_row jimmy_row wrote:

The BLODDY 'HO!  They made a semi-concept right around the time The Beatles first did, and they stuck around long enough to reach the same heights as the progressive bands...Quadrophenia and Who's Next are near the peak of '70s rock (...and Tommy too) that stand the test of time as well as anything.

Besides Red of course.
Freak yo' swerve
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2008 at 21:53
I vote Beatles, for the simple reason that without them no one outside of England would have ever heard of the Who.   
Scapler View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2008 at 22:08
The Beatles will never get old, they are timelessness awesmoness. I am a major Beatles fan, they get my vote.
Bassists are deadly
ANDREWM View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2008 at 13:04
The Beatles becuase not only were they one of the first bands who were really doing proto-prog music. They had the songwriting ability and influence to back it up.
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2008 at 13:25
Okay I admire the great acomplish by The Beatles but The Who really rocks. My vote goes for the loudest band in live perfomances. Who?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>