Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Beatles versus The Who

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Poll Question: What is the best?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
54 [58.06%]
39 [41.94%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2008 at 15:31
Originally posted by cacho cacho wrote:

Okay I admire the great acomplish by The Beatles but The Who really rocks. My vote goes for the loudest band in live perfomances. Who?

so who did you vote for ..who?
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
LinusW View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2008 at 07:22
Two of my favourite bands. I'll do the decent thing and skip the vote Smile.
Wallium View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2008 at 12:35
Even though the Who might have a "hipper" sound, The Beatles were 10 thousand times more influential.  They get my vote because they changed the world of music to the extreme ends of possibility and closer brought prog into existence.
Mens sceptrum totus

Evans View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2008 at 16:44
This is actually hard for me. Beatles were better (as in, 'oh my god, this is the best music ever!') but the who were really cool and have the ability to actually thrill you with their music. Plus. Pete's windmill. Seriously.

Beatles win, however.

'Let's give it another fifteen seconds..'
Okocha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2008 at 06:13
Ladies and gentlemen...THE WHO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Statutory-Mike View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2008 at 14:55
The Who times 78930217589023715046329685432659236459236543254923623141362745321640397
zicIy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2008 at 04:45
i voted The Who. i own all The Who official issued albums, and, also, their solo albums too. The Beatles as the band i dont like, the solo albums by Lennon and by McCartney(Wings included)  i hate, i never owned any of that, somebody else used to recorded to me some of that on the tapes long time ago, although i like Harrison´s solo stuff.
The Who fans obviously are wide open for enjoy The Beatles´ music, me not. well, that´s all subjectively.

Edited by zicIy - May 17 2008 at 04:47
zicIy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2008 at 04:50
Originally posted by Okocha Okocha wrote:

Ladies and gentlemen...THE WHO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClap
Pnoom! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2008 at 04:58
The Beatles, no question.  The Who were great, but the Beatles wrote many of the greatest songs ever.
Relayer09 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2008 at 09:35
The Beatles were a better studio band and wrote some of the best songs ever but as far as them both on stage The Who would blow the Beatles off the stage easily. A band preforming live is the ultimate test of what any band is about. I love The Beatles but I have to go with The Who on this one.
If you lose your temper, you've lost the arguement. -Proverb
zicIy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2008 at 05:13
Originally posted by Relayer09 Relayer09 wrote:

The Beatles were a better studio band and wrote some of the best songs ever but as far as them both on stage The Who would blow the Beatles off the stage easily. A band preforming live is the ultimate test of what any band is about. I love The Beatles but I have to go with The Who on this one.
The Beatles were give up from touring in the middle of ´60s, so they were not need one of greatest live act as The Who aswell  to blow away them off the stage;  for example, The Guess Who were able enough for that. Big%20smile   
boo boo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2008 at 07:38
I love them both. But I prefer The Beatles by a good deal.

And about this whole "which one is the most groungbreaking" deal. Baby O'Reily more ground breaking than Tommorrow Never Knows? Better song, sure, but more groundbreaking? Not by a long shot.

I wouldn't even say its more groundbreaking than other Beatles songs that come to mind. The use of mellotron on Strawberry Fields Forever, the feedback on I Feel Fine, the structure of songs like I Am the Walrus, Day in the Life and Happiness is a Warm Gun. Harrisons experimentations with eastern music. Revolver and Sgt Peppers on a whole were incredibly groundbreaking albums. And more important rock albums than anything by The Who for my two cents.

One more thing. I hear both "proto punk" and "proto prog" used to describe The Who. Anyone else see the hilarious irony in that?
Prof. View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2008 at 00:45
I think I like the Who more, but not by much. Mainly because I only sorta liked the first hald of the Beatles' career, and enjoyed the other half.
Pnoom! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2008 at 00:50
Originally posted by boo boo boo boo wrote:

One more thing. I hear both "proto punk" and "proto prog" used to describe The Who. Anyone else see the hilarious irony in that?

Different aspects of their sound influenced the different genres; it's not that ironic.
boo boo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2008 at 02:58
I wasn't implying that its not true that they had some influence on both, thats obviously true.
Pnoom! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2008 at 03:00
Velvet Underground are more ironic because the same techniques that influence prog also influenced punk (if we consider krautrock prog)
The Whistler View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2008 at 03:22
Dude, gottta be the Who. They rock. Besides, they'd do things the Beatles ould NEVER do.

Like...compose a rock opera! There's not moneyt in that! Would yer Pauls and yer Ringos do that? No, I didn't think so!

Likewise, when I heard the Beatle's "Helter Skelter," I was thinking, "Yeah, this is cool and all, the Beatles doing hard rock...but I REALLY wish the Who was doing this."

And so, for those reasons, I voted the Who.
"There seem to be quite a large percentage of young American boys out there tonight. A long way from home, eh? Well so are we... Gotta stick together." -I. Anderson
zicIy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2008 at 04:05

And about this whole "which one is the most groungbreaking" deal. Baby O'Reily more ground breaking than Tommorrow Never Knows? Better song, sure, but more groundbreaking? Not by a long shot.

I wouldn't even say its more groundbreaking than other Beatles songs that come to mind. The use of mellotron on Strawberry Fields Forever, the feedback on I Feel Fine, the structure of songs like I Am the Walrus, Day in the Life and Happiness is a Warm Gun. Harrisons experimentations with eastern music. Revolver and Sgt Peppers on a whole were incredibly groundbreaking albums. And more important rock albums than anything by The Who for my two cents.

you mentioned Baba O´ Reily only, versus 6 The Beatles´songs. ok, probably it is a big "tragedy" for proggers coz The Who never used some mellotron, but you should hear (if you like so and if you are not heard yet) The Who songs as (not in order) : Dogs,  Love Reign O´er me, (<the most anthemic rock song i ever heard),  Is It  In My Head,  Dreamin´ In The Waist,  They Are All In Love.........well, that´s 5 now, let say - the obscure The Who songs, i mean, not so popular as My Generation (the song which tourned that British pop into rock music) or Won´t Get Fooled Again (the best politicaly based rock song ever) or See Me Feel Me (from Tommy, that very important rock opera with surrealistic story  line and musicaly perfect, no guestion).

why i mentioned these songs? well, imo, Pete Townshend alone is in the same rank with all of these composers of The Beatles´ songs/hits; Townshend could be only BETTER ONE SONGWRITTER and one more complexity ARTIST than these guys.

EDIT: WHAT ABOUT LIVE AT LEEDS ALBUM, eh?

Edited by zicIy - May 23 2008 at 08:22
boo boo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2008 at 17:42
Originally posted by zicIy zicIy wrote:

you mentioned Baba O´ Reily only, versus 6 The Beatles´songs. ok, probably it is a big "tragedy" for proggers coz The Who never used some mellotron, but you should hear (if you like so and if you are not heard yet) The Who songs as (not in order) : Dogs,  Love Reign O´er me, (<the most anthemic rock song i ever heard),  Is It  In My Head,  Dreamin´ In The Waist,  They Are All In Love.........well, that´s 5 now, let say - the obscure The Who songs, i mean, not so popular as My Generation (the song which tourned that British pop into rock music) or Won´t Get Fooled Again (the best politicaly based rock song ever) or See Me Feel Me (from Tommy, that very important rock opera with surrealistic story  line and musicaly perfect, no guestion).

why i mentioned these songs? well, imo, Pete Townshend alone is in the same rank with all of these composers of The Beatles´ songs/hits; Townshend could be only BETTER ONE SONGWRITTER and one more complexity ARTIST than these guys.

EDIT: WHAT ABOUT LIVE AT LEEDS ALBUM, eh?

Look I love The Who but if you read my quote you should know I'm talking about which artist has been more innovative and groundbreaking, its not to take away from the fact that The Who did a lot of new things for rock music, but IMO The Beatles did more.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567